Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > North West

Old 03-05-2009

Default Wheelchair Racers!?

I Race with Southport CC, was just wondering if there are any more guys out there in chairs trying their hardest to compete without being able to get into the drivers rostrum? I can't be the only one! Maybe i need to invest in a cherry picker and take that everywhere with me!
Pondy.

B4 RTR
B4 6.5 Brushless Stealth
Kuschall K4 WheelChair!
Old 03-05-2009
Mad Member

Hi Mark

don't forget that we are (southport) endeavouring to build an accessible ramp/rostrum area for you, but these things do take a little time!
Old 03-05-2009

Hey mate, don't mean anything bad by what i wrote. I'm just interested to know if there are any more guys in the same position. I love our track, and i can see 99% of it. I know there are plans in the pipeline to help me and i really appreciate it. you guys are really helpfull and i feel like i've been a member for years! I just think from the photos i've seen of other clubs, lads/lasses in chairs would struggle. Mostly the reason i didn't race today, can't see the track without being in a dangerous spot.
Looking forward to next weekend, lets make it a fast one!!!!
Hope i've reassured you in my love for SRCC.
Mark.
Old 04-05-2009
BANNED

As far as I know the only track in our area that has dedicated access for chairs is Pendle 8th track. The rostrum is built into a banking, with a sort of bridge at the back so you can just 'roll-on'.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 04-05-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondy View Post
Hey mate, don't mean anything bad by what i wrote. I'm just interested to know if there are any more guys in the same position. I love our track, and i can see 99% of it. I know there are plans in the pipeline to help me and i really appreciate it. you guys are really helpfull and i feel like i've been a member for years! I just think from the photos i've seen of other clubs, lads/lasses in chairs would struggle. Mostly the reason i didn't race today, can't see the track without being in a dangerous spot.
Looking forward to next weekend, lets make it a fast one!!!!
Hope i've reassured you in my love for SRCC.
Mark.
Hi Mark

I know there was nothing bad in what you typed - I was just letting you know we hadn't forgot! lol:
Old 04-05-2009

Mark,

I've only ever really raced 1/10th off-road so can't really comment on what facilities are like for other types of racing such as 1/8 rallyx that Stu mentioned.

Off-road racing venues have a natural tendancy to be in the middle of a muddy field, which unfortunately isn't too wheelchair friendly.

I have a suspicion you might be the pioneer of off road racing from a wheelchair.

Might be worth you speaking to the South Lakes guys with regards to accessibility as we have two regionals up there. Their track is flat field with a banking so visibilty should be good - but I really have no idea how far into the field the track is and how acceessible it is, as I have never been up there.
Old 04-05-2009
Mad Member

I think I will be able to take some wood etc., for a platform Mark, but I am not sure how much - should be enough to pit on at least.
Old 05-05-2009

Hi Mark

The rostrum is at the bottom of the field, but I would have though you would be ok to be at the top of the banking enabling you to see all of the track. You might be unsighted as the car goes up and down the banking near you, but on a whole it shoudl be fine. I will raise the question this weekend at the club and I will get back to you with the best way to accomodate you.
Ansmann Short Course

South Lakes Model Car Club
www.southlakesmodelcarclub.co.uk

See us on Facebook
Old 07-05-2009

Hey thanks everyone.
I really appreciate the support and help, i'm getting the feeling there are not too many wheelchair racers out there!
Chris, i'm having a small platform made, dad's friend is a joiner, he;s making it flatpack and about 18 inch's high. will take this around the tracks until the club platform is built, so hey no rush. Will hone my skiills on ground level then you guys are in trouble when i can see where i'm going!!!!