Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 01-05-2018

Default Touring Car Bodyshell reviews

Having searched the net for reviews on the many options out there, opinions on some of the latest releases from Mon-Tech, Bitty Design and Protoform seem to be quite scarce.

I would love to hear which Bodyshells and wing you're using and why, what surface and track type (eg. fast flowing, tight technical, high or low grip) they work best on, how they are mounted to get the best out of them and how durable they are.

I have just started racing TC and my club is heading out to our Tarmac track, we race 17.5 blinky and I think the track would be described as relatively short and twisty any bodyshell recommendation would be welcome.

And just because I think they look great has any one tried the Montech Evo or Silvy?

Off Road Club: TORCH
Off Road Race Car: Schumacher KF2
ON Road Club: SHMCC
On Road Race Car: Schumacher Mi5 evo, Eclipse
Rollers: Procat x2, Cat 2000ec, Club 10, Cougar 2000 95
Projects: Topcat, Storm, Procat no.3, Club 10 touring
Old 01-05-2018

High downforce shells are the hot thing at the minute. The bitty design JP8 is good and the protoform type s is meant to be similar.
I use the M410 and JP8 on carpet and will try them both on Tarmac this weekend. Seem to offer much more grip than the ltcr I have been running prior to that
Old 01-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton27 View Post
High downforce shells are the hot thing at the minute. The bitty design JP8 is good and the protoform type s is meant to be similar.
I use the M410 and JP8 on carpet and will try them both on Tarmac this weekend. Seem to offer much more grip than the ltcr I have been running prior to that
I like the sound of high downforce. The JP8 certainly looks the business. It'll be interesting to hear which shell you prefer on Tarmac.

Old 02-05-2018

The two popular 'high downforce' shells to have are:
Montech Racer
Protoform TypeS

The Racer gives more turn-in than the TypeS, so can feel a bit edgier to drive. The TypeS has more mid-corner steering, but actually feels quite stable, which has made it a very popular shell. It was the most popular shell at the BRCAs in 2018, and seems to work well indoors too.

The JP8 is a similar looking shell, but hasn't proved very popular. I tried it once and found it to be lacking traction.

(Post edited to reflect more experience of the available shells at the end of 2018).

Last edited by dale; 17-12-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2018
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

I've only run the Proroform type S of the newer shells, because I'm supported by the protoform distributor.

I've only run it with modified as that's all I run, and I still run it mounted forward. If it has more steering than the other shells then I'm happy that I'm not missing out on anything!!

My personal preference is for the thick Protoform HD wing, generally the thicker wings give you more rear grip.
Old 04-05-2018

Thanks for the all the info. I think I'll give them a try. Mabey Racer and type S for Tarmac then GP8 when we go back to carpet.

Anybody have experience of the Montech pre cut bodies? or the IS200? Are they just paint and go?
I have just picked up a used Mi6 so I'm considering getting a pre cut Montech IS200 as well, that way if I make a mess of cutting the other bodies at least I'll have one perfectly aligned.

Old 08-05-2018

The pre-cuts are pretty good (I've used IS200 and M410). You'll need to sand the edges as it's a bit of a rough finish, but they're drilled and cut accurately. Shame they don't do the Racer as a pre-cut though.
Old 11-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
The pre-cuts are pretty good (I've used IS200 and M410). You'll need to sand the edges as it's a bit of a rough finish, but they're drilled and cut accurately. Shame they don't do the Racer as a pre-cut though.
Thanks, I've got a pre-cut Tarmac IS200 and Racer on the way.

Old 17-12-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
The three 'high downforce' shells to have are:
Montech Racer
Protoform TypeS
Bitty JP8

The Racer seems the most stable of the three, with a lot of overall downforce. I have two of these, one mounted further forwards than the other, which I use when more high-speed steering is required.

The TypeS and JP8 both give more steering than the Racer. These will need mounting more neutral to keep some stability. The JP8 is the most aggressive and may be a bit much for 17.5.

I wouldn't waste money on anything other than these 3 for outdoor racing.
In your opinion, which one would you recommend for a large, "low-ish grip" carpet track running 13.5?
Old 17-12-2018

I don't do a lot of carpet racing, but from what I see the Protoform TypeS is popular indoors as well as out.
Old 17-12-2018

The type s gives good front end on carpet. I’m currently using a blitz s100, blitz altis or protoform type s on carpet depending on the conditions. Type s gives the most steering, s100 next and altis least. More steering comes at a cost of rear stability generally
Old 18-12-2018
Mad Member

Thanks for the advice - based on above posts and how they look i think i've narrowed it down to 3:
Bittydesign M410
Blitz S100
Montech Silvy
Old 18-12-2018

As your location says Nottingham, get in contact with Colin and Wayne at Torque RC to get a blitz s100 shell. They are based there and race all around that area. Plenty of clubs not far from you I think
Old 19-12-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighton27 View Post
As your location says Nottingham, get in contact with Colin and Wayne at Torque RC to get a blitz s100 shell. They are based there and race all around that area. Plenty of clubs not far from you I think
Yeah I know of them - I race at West Bridgford and Blitz shells are really popular there - especially on the M-chassis