Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > BRCA Nationals & Regionals > East of England

Old 28-05-2014

Default Possible...Boughton Regional Cancellation/standing down

After the protest raised at NBC concerning entries received after booking in closing, I have spoken with the rest of the Boughton crew.
Boughton feel that all the clubs in Region are trying to bring the Region forward in 1/10 off road racing, and with complaints being received from people, of which one was not even present at the meeting, makes us question if it is all worth it.
Basically the protest/complaints were about allowing extra people to book in after the closing date. At the AGM I stated I wanted pre book, pre pay so that only people who were genuine about racing at a meeting actually booked in, thus saving time having to resort heats on the day after the no shows had been removed, this was agreed by all. No definite decision was made on what to do if people wanted to book in after this date and I believe it was left as, "if there is space in that class and they understand they may not be in a seeded heat then I will see what I can do, as long as they don't make a habit of it". After all we want as many people to be able to race as possible. A couple of points, at Herts one person booked in on the day, this person had been helping the club in the run up to the meeting and entry was by way of a thank you, and they paid. At NBC I received e-mails from 5 people wishing to race in either one or both classes. They all paid, all details were sent to the host club and there were no issues.
What I do in the week before a meeting....keeping an eye on central booking entries I judge how many finals we will have and order the trophies. After booking in closes I do a download of both classes, send the information off to the host club, I then work out who is doing two classes, and go on to paypal and refund each driver their multiclass entry money. I then sort the heats, of which I have spent a few days coming up with a fairer seeding system using a drivers last 4 meetings instead of just their championship position (a driver may have missed an early round and so constantly be in a lower heat due to their position until drop scores kick in and their true championship position shows), then in the next few days I keep checking the e-mails and looking after anyone that wishes to book in, or general inquiries. The day before a meeting after the late entries I will plug in the entry numbers into quite a complex spreadsheet, which works out single and double entries, taking into account the central booking fees and paypal fees, trophy bills and every other penny coming in and going out of the regions funds. After a meeting I look after updating the championship tables, upload results, and now update the seedings, and get ready to open up central booking to do it all again. At the end of the day I enjoy racing rc cars as we all do, well at least should do. I have a family and I work, plus I help run two clubs. I thought this region could be a success and feel that we have some great venues compared to just 2 years ago when we had only 3 tracks hosting Regionals. I don't need some of the hassles I got last year but felt this year we had moved on, sadly with this latest hassle being basically about "allowing extra" people to race, I sadly see no other option than to consider standing down and letting someone else deal with it all, I will take a few days out to think about things.
As for the Boughton Meeting we will be meeting later this week to decide if we feel the potential hassles we may get is worth all of our efforts.
Old 28-05-2014
SHRCCC Legend

Amended comment due to thread title change

Good luck with your efforts, never easy, seems a bit daft from afar to be honest.

Boughton looks a great venue and built for regionals or higher.
Old 29-05-2014

You do a fantastic job Colin and sometimes it will be challenging, for the sake of the majority I hope 'booking in gate' can be resolved quickly and we can all get back to some great racing at great tracks!
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Let the moaning tw@ts organise their own racing.

I don't have time/inclination to organise anything much, so I'm in no position to complain about what someone who has made the time to do has decided to do.

And tbh, when i did organise (bike races, 15 years ago) any irrelevant whinging would be rewarded by either returning their entry, or sticking then at the bottom of the reserve list. (Relevant whinging was taken on board and dealt with)
Old 29-05-2014

Just when it all seemed to be going so well. Good competitive racing, good entry numbers & not to mention Colin doing a great (thankless) job.

I remember there being seven of us at a MERCC 4wd regional a few years back, three of which went home after qualifying. Do we really want it to go back to that

The protest is about people entering after the stated booking in deadline The outcome being what - to remove the points from those who booked in after this?
Old 29-05-2014

Default Boughton / standing down

I've seen the post this morning and it has made me feel like I need to have an input ...
I don't normally comment on things like this , just want to race see my friends !
If this really comes down to people not organising themselves and getting payed and booked in then I feel that's a bit shit on there part !
I work , run my own business which is more than full time as most of you guys already know ...
I still find the time to get me and my daughters details in and pay !
I understand about the booking in and the reasons for it ( time saved etc)
But does this really constitute a complaint !
Yes if you want to race book in but it must be hard when people want to race and just turn up or message after the cut off !
In a nutshell if ya want to race get booked in
The rule was set at the agm or were ever so why don't people just do it and stop making problems
There are two sides to every story and everybody will have different options
If ya gonna make a rule then maybe we should stick to it
Then maybe people would get themselves organised when they realise!

I may not have covered everything I was thinking but it's a start !
It will be a shame if races are lost out of the calendar but hey that's not down to me ....
Old 29-05-2014

Colin, you'll never please everyone regardless of what you do. A couple of complaints means 50 something drivers didnt complain and had a great time! (me being one of them).
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Schumacher Cougar Classic -
- Xray T4 2013-
- Tamiya Monster Beetle Black Edition -

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 29-05-2014

Default Regionals

Well said lee
Me too !
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie2380 View Post
I've seen the post this morning and it has made me feel like I need to have an input ...
I don't normally comment on things like this , just want to race see my friends !
If this really comes down to people not organising themselves and getting payed and booked in then I feel that's a bit shit on there part !
I work , run my own business which is more than full time as most of you guys already know ...
I still find the time to get me and my daughters details in and pay !
I understand about the booking in and the reasons for it ( time saved etc)
But does this really constitute a complaint !
Yes if you want to race book in but it must be hard when people want to race and just turn up or message after the cut off !
In a nutshell if ya want to race get booked in
The rule was set at the agm or were ever so why don't people just do it and stop making problems
There are two sides to every story and everybody will have different options
If ya gonna make a rule then maybe we should stick to it
Then maybe people would get themselves organised when they realise!

I may not have covered everything I was thinking but it's a start !
It will be a shame if races are lost out of the calendar but hey that's not down to me ....
funny that, I generally wouldn't find out if I could race until 48/72 hours before. So I accept that I won't get seeded, and might not get in (as it's full). It's not a matter of being organised, it's just I've got a lot of other things on. And it's a risk I take.

Those who are organised enough and know far enough in advance get seeded, and ensure that the race goes ahead (need xx entries to make it viable) get the benefits of entering early.

Same as organising the bike races, pre entered riders would get gridded, guaranteed a place, a race booklet, pay less (£5-10 surcharge for late entry) and don't have to rush around like idiots on race day.
Old 29-05-2014

We have to be carful when we say "rules set", the only true rules set are at the 1/10 BRCA AGM in October at Stoke. What the regions do at their AGM's are set their guidlines for their series.
We introduced the prebook prepay system in December, but then we have no idea on numbers, we could have had 10 book in for R1 and so needed people to turn up on the day, on the oter hand we could have had 50 in each class and been full. Also having not used Central Booking before I did not know of any problems that may arise doing the download, and if the host club may have problems uploading the data, so we chose Tuesday at midnight to give everyone time, however I have not come across any problems so far and that is why I have set the close time to Thursday at 8pm as most people will know their weekend work/family plans by then, and they can get their entries in. Maybe there could be an advantage to pre book, say late entries can book in, but they have to pay an additional £2 per class, or they go in the bottom heat??
Old 29-05-2014

I am not sure now , if I should have commented or not really
As I said in my original post I don't normally get involved ,
My intention from the beginning was to try and help matters and all I would like is for our region to be able to continue to grow and be one of the best to attend...
I would like to help if that's possible , I know all about the issues of keeping people happy which is not possible all the time and a very hard situation to be in ..
I will end my thoughts with if I can help in anyway please let me know..?
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty View Post
I remember there being seven of us at a MERCC 4wd regional a few years back, three of which went home after qualifying. Do we really want it to go back to that
I remember that year, 2009, the year 3 people completed the 4wd series & 2wd never really happened, shame that there are only a few of us racing now that knows about "The dark times".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesty View Post

The protest is about people entering after the stated booking in deadline The outcome being what - to remove the points from those who booked in after this?
The protest is about someone who is frankly broken in the head, thinks he's racing in F1, not toy cars in a field and got beaten by someone who booked in after the deadline.

As Colin said the pre-book wasn't a set in stone rule, it's not something to protest about, it's there as a help for Colin and the clubs holding the meetings.

It was never a thing to stop people booking late, more to try and stop people booking in for meetings and not turning up, so it it's easier for Colin to know how many trophies to order etc.

I freely admit I booked in and was a no-show this week! but at least the region got a bit of money out of me for the hassle.
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The protest is about someone who is frankly broken in the head, thinks he's racing in F1, not toy cars in a field and got beaten by someone who booked in after the deadline.
Sounds like irrelevant whinging to me. Hope the BRCA rules allow race organisers to refuse entries from difficult individuals.

I know British Cycling rules do. (Except for the national championships)
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie2380 View Post
I am not sure now , if I should have commented or not really
As I said in my original post I don't normally get involved
nah, I've been on all three sides, organiser, badly organised racer and a racer who has it all organised for me.

The reasons for closing dates are very very often misunderstood. And as per ^^^^^ It's been explained why they exist. And it's simply to make life less stressful for organisers, if there are enough pre entries so the event runs, and space for late entries, everyone wins.

Except whingers. Who get beaten.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin76 View Post
Maybe there could be an advantage to pre book, say late entries can book in, but they have to pay an additional £2 per class, or they go in the bottom heat??
I think an extra £2 to late book in would be fine, I'm pretty sure other clubs/series do that anyway.
Old 29-05-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post

Except whingers. Who get beaten.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Deffiantly sour grapes, wasn't even a dispute between 1st & 2nd either! The next protest will be for the top car running yellow wheels
Old 29-05-2014

Quote:
Deffiantly sour grapes, wasn't even a dispute between 1st & 2nd either! The next protest will be for the top car running yellow wheels
As you didn't turn up on Sunday, I actually picked up an extra point as I am pretty sure you would have beaten me. I feel this unfair, my complaint is logged and hopefully Colin will remove the extra point from me.
- Frankenstein DEX410 -
- Schumacher Cougar Classic -
- Xray T4 2013-
- Tamiya Monster Beetle Black Edition -

oOple Trader Feedback
Old 29-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
As you didn't turn up on Sunday, I actually picked up an extra point as I am pretty sure you would have beaten me. I feel this unfair, my complaint is logged and hopefully Colin will remove the extra point from me.

Think you now get 2 extra points for that comment lee
Old 29-05-2014

Quote:
I think an extra £2 to late book in would be fine, I'm pretty sure other clubs/series do that anyway.
The i.c on road Nationals are an extra £5 for late booking.
Old 29-05-2014

Default prebooking

I was one of the people that booked in passed the deadline,so i apologise for any inconvenience caused by me doing so.
Being self employed, bank holidays do not exist.So leading up to the NBC regional i was working on the Monday.Its only on the Thursday that i could sort out that i did not need to work on Monday.Straight away i contacted Colin to let him know of my situation to which i left it with him.Not knowing whether i was going to get in or not depending on the places available.
So pre booking on any other day is not a problem for me its just not guaranteed for a b/h Monday.
Colin you are doing a cracking job mate. As previously said what percentage of the drivers were complaining? so the majority are happy with the how things are going.Do not let the tiny minded whingers put you off of what you have done so far.
Plus i need to apologise to some people for my actions on Monday,so if you cancel the regionals then i will not be able to do so.
Tamiya M06 low rider pumpkin
TLR 1.0,3.0 scte
Yeldnips racing products
Xfactoryuk
Dms racing
Corally uk