Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 23-03-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher
Default SX in action

got to hold and feel/prod it today
looks good, it is easy to access diffs etc, some clever bits on it, lots of adjustments etc
looked vary smooth and stable on the track today at worksop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schumacher sx.jpg (19.4 KB, 414 views)
Old 23-03-2008

How did Mossy and Whitey do with It?
Old 23-03-2008

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

both made the a
si took a round win and qualified 2nd
not sure where in final they came to busy trying to keep mine on all fours
Old 23-03-2008
oOple Contributor

Send a message via MSN to rcracer

i'll post the link to a video of it as soon is its uploaded
Old 23-03-2008
oOple Contributor

here it is hope the quality ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84DLIh64ETs
Old 23-03-2008

Send a message via MSN to Mossy

Good video, shame it was of my worst run of the day lol! You should of posted my 4th round instead, much better.

Was really pleased with the car. Changed it abit throughout the day and every round it got better. Was pleased to be lapping with Rich Lowe as his car always looks quick there.

Good day, and prob Worksop's best track.

Si
Old 23-03-2008
oOple Contributor

The quality of the video on you tube doesnt do it justice it was hard to keep up with it as you may have noticed
Old 24-03-2008

Im just looking forward to seeing what this car can do on a 'REAL' race track. Not that Im bagging indoor racing on carpet and astro turf (ive had a go at it and it was great) but I think the real measure of how an off road car drives will be in the dirt. Time will tell on the world circuit wether its a winner or will the complicated drive train make it too much hard work for some. In any case I love the car,how could I not-I LOVE ALL SCHUMACHERS-lol
Old 24-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It's harder in my experience to get a car working on multi surface than the dirt tracks I've raced on, given the varying grip levels and bumps.

The Worksop surface is actually very similar to a low grip dirt track, it's just as valid an environment as a dirt track to develop a car
Old 25-03-2008

I like the track setup and it looks like a fun environment to race in, but i do agree that it will need to be run on an actual dirt track for it to be in its intended surface and race conditions, for more judgement to be done on the vehicle.
Old 25-03-2008
Banned

just as well we have so many dirt tracks in the uk.
it makes designing building and running the car so awsome on all our dirt tracks,

trekkker
Old 25-03-2008

I have to agree with Bormac here, we really need to see this car on a dirt track if you're going to convince people outside the UK that it's going to work well.

IMO UK tracks are great for testing a cars strength due to the walls, wooden jumps etc, but you can't use indoor or even grass tracks to test a cars handling ability.

On grass tracks you have very high traction, which allows you to make damper and spring adjustments to improve bump absorbtion without causing too many issues with overall grip levels. This is not the case on rutted-out, low-grip dirt tracks where running a very soft damper and spring setup will improve handling but at the expense of driveability - the car will roll around too much and generate enough downwards pressure on the tyres to get grip.

If you watch that video, you can see that accelerating out of most of the corners is easy, as regardless of grip, the surface is still very smooth. On even a mildly bumpy dirt track the wheels would be constantly skipping over undulations in the surface, which effects grip and handling, but just as importantly, increases stress on the drivetrain when compared to a smooth surface.

As someone who used to run both Schumacher 2 and 4wds in the late 90's - I can tell you that on my (Australia) local tracks, their handling and driveability was not as good as cars like the XX4 for example. This was most noteable on the more "euro designed" cars such as the Cat EC and the original Fireblade.

I'm not knocking the car, I'm seriously looking at getting one, I'd just like to know that Scumacher have tested it on enough surfaces to ensure that it is an "all-round" car, not like some of their past releases.
Old 25-03-2008

I was just thinking that most us cars are imperial and most cars from japan are metric but wht is the cat sx? are we imperial still?

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!

Old 25-03-2008
Lee-Mag

Ash it will be metric,

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 25-03-2008

Yup - it'll be metric. Most UK design is nowadays, although you will still find some imperial stuff about. Wouldn't be surprised if the diff balls are still imperial size..
Old 25-03-2008
Lee-Mag

All engineering nowadays is metric, Its only in the US that some engineering is imperial, but this is the country that has the world series that is only open to North america

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 25-03-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyb4 View Post
I was just thinking that most us cars are imperial and most cars from japan are metric but wht is the cat sx? are we imperial still?

A
we started going metric in 1971, year of decimlaisation Ash.... some things are still done in Imperial due to the sheer cost of changing, like distance and speed, but for the most we work in metric, especially engineering.
Old 25-03-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
On grass tracks you have very high traction, which allows you to make damper and spring adjustments to improve bump absorbtion without causing too many issues with overall grip levels. This is not the case on rutted-out, low-grip dirt tracks where running a very soft damper and spring setup will improve handling but at the expense of driveability - the car will roll around too much and generate enough downwards pressure on the tyres to get grip.
This is a common misconception, it might have been true years ago when loamy dirt tracks were the norm but when I raced out in Florida late last year once the groove started to appear the grip was higher than a typical grass track. When the groove was fully up it was higher grip than anything I've ever experienced, the Worksop surface is very similar in grip levels to a well groomed dirt track before it grooves.

Re the bumps:- Worksop is a smooth surface, but thats because it's indoors. A grass track getts rutted after it's had a couple of rounds on it at a big meeting, there might not be many jumps usually but it's certainly not glass smooth

Also the Fireblade didn't handle well on our tracks either
Old 25-03-2008
Lee-Mag

And when the grass disappears it gets very slippy

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 26-03-2008

I want to get one but i'm not sure if i want to pay the asking price. I just checked a uk website (www.e-land.org) and it's really expensive. It costs 349 Uk pounds which is 703 US dollars.