Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > News

Old 04-03-2012

Can I ask WHY has an outdoor dirt track been built in the UK? if it was indoor great, under a massive cover yeah great but outdoors??

we've tried these years ago and were too time consuming to maintain, thats why we went to astro turf. we dont have the consistency of the weather to simply keep the track in good condition.

I appreciate i raced on dirt tracks then and not clay as they are now but still seems like hard work to maintain

Will it make the 6 guys who go to a Euros/worlds better....slightly
Is there a possibility we could run a Euros whenever/worlds in 2019...maybe if we could afford it

Great work guys and I for one will love to try it but why?
Old 04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post

I think the question is more like why NOT, you can see the effort that has gone into this track already and I'm sure these guys will be keeping the track in great shape.
Old 06-03-2012

For those that haven't seen it yet:

RHR Dirt in association with Proline

Click here for information on the first official event - The oOple Invernational 2012
Old 07-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I think the track is better when its a little damp.. Its tacky and very grippy.. We still haven't finished rolling it yet so when we've done that and its mega hard packed and totally smooth and dry it may be grippier still, particularly if we get warm weather and it grooves up..
Just picked up on this from the Oople chatter.

I raced a bit on hard-pack (it used to be a grass track, but there's not much grass there now!) last summer, at the BADMCC track (we'll be running two BRCA regionals there this year).

I came up with a chocolate bar terminology to describe track dampness -

When dry, it was a honeycomb colour, like the centre of a Crunchie bar - this was abrasive on the tyres, and we found Losi X2000 and X3000 tyres worked best on this.

When damp, the track became a milk chocolate colour, like Dairy Milk. This was best, and everything from Bowties to Calibres worked well.

When very damp, the track went Bourneville i.e. like dark chocolate. Grip became more difficult, and a step-pin worked best on this.

Any wetter than that, it was probably lashing, there was standing water on the track and we frankly couldn't be bothered with the hassle and risk to electrics to race in those conditions, plus it became dangerous to marshalls.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 07-03-2012

mmmmmmmmmm Chocolate... :P
Old 08-03-2012
Mad Member

Just out of interest does any one know how long a set of tyres will last?

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 08-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen View Post
Just out of interest does any one know how long a set of tyres will last?
Depends on your pace. If you're at the sharp end of the field you may only get 1 - 2 heats from a set of rear on your 2wd. If you're a bit slower and not generating/using as much grip you may get the day out of a set.
Old 08-03-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
Depends on your pace. If you're at the sharp end of the field you may only get 1 - 2 heats from a set of rear on your 2wd. If you're a bit slower and not generating/using as much grip you may get the day out of a set.
Not true at all.......

It all depends on the track. Dirt composition / how wet-damp / hard packed / dusty / blue grooved.

One set could be past their best after a single run, or in most cases they are good for a number of runs. On average should be able to get a couple of race days out of a set of tyres.

On certain dirt tracks new tyres are quicker, on other tracks worn-in tyres are quicker.
(Worlds in Finland this year, people were scrubbing in tyres.)

If the track blue-groves (ideal situation) then tyres will usually last until the foams break down.

There have been events in the US where the track has blue-groved, and drivers were running slicks!!

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 08-03-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellor View Post
Can I ask WHY has an outdoor dirt track been built in the UK? if it was indoor great, under a massive cover yeah great but outdoors??

we've tried these years ago and were too time consuming to maintain, thats why we went to astro turf. we dont have the consistency of the weather to simply keep the track in good condition.

I appreciate i raced on dirt tracks then and not clay as they are now but still seems like hard work to maintain

Will it make the 6 guys who go to a Euros/worlds better....slightly
Is there a possibility we could run a Euros whenever/worlds in 2019...maybe if we could afford it

We went to astro so we could race week in, week out in a much greater range of weather for a longer season. Clearly a clay track will never be able to offer this - we have an all-weather astroturf track 40 feet away from our new dirt venue for that. What it does offer is an experience currently not freely available in the UK and clay really is a great, fun, challenging surface to race on which has the advantage over astro of the bit of 'slip' so we can include more 'moulded' jumps.
Its not going to be everyones cup of tea and we will for sure make lots of mistakes in our construction and management, but given time we will know how to manage the surface correctly and hopefully be able to offer a top class facility. I tried for a long period, in vain to gain planning permission to put a roof over the venue. We have a few other projects on the go but I will come back to this perhaps in around 18months and try again.
The next Euros that doesn't have a confirmed venue is in 2014, we still might not have a good enough venue by then but all we can do is our best.

We simply wanted to offer you guys the opportunity of running on this awesome surface, bear with us, we wont get it right first time and we have a lot to learn. There is clearly demand for a clay track in the UK judging by the feedback we've had, commitment from our tyre partners Pro-Line, the staggering amount of entries to the oOple race already and the number of people who have contacted me about our first 'open day' in June (details TBC) - this shakedown event will hopefully give us the information to get the surface in order for the oOple Invernational 6 weeks after. The point is the bare bones are there - the hard bit was kickstarting, funding, planning and tieing everything together to get the whole project off the ground - we have to start somewhere! Hopefully it will grow and improve and perhaps oneday we can house the facility indoors.

Bear with the inevitable mistakes we will make, if we don't get it right first time then don't write the venue off - we will learn and improve for the following event and so on..
Old 08-03-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
bit of 'slip'
I like slipage
Old 08-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
We went to astro so we could race week in, week out in a much greater range of weather for a longer season. Clearly a clay track will never be able to offer this - we have an all-weather astroturf track 40 feet away from our new dirt venue for that. What it does offer is an experience currently not freely available in the UK and clay really is a great, fun, challenging surface to race on which has the advantage over astro of the bit of 'slip' so we can include more 'moulded' jumps.
Its not going to be everyones cup of tea and we will for sure make lots of mistakes in our construction and management, but given time we will know how to manage the surface correctly and hopefully be able to offer a top class facility. I tried for a long period, in vain to gain planning permission to put a roof over the venue. We have a few other projects on the go but I will come back to this perhaps in around 18months and try again.
The next Euros that doesn't have a confirmed venue is in 2014, we still might not have a good enough venue by then but all we can do is our best.

We simply wanted to offer you guys the opportunity of running on this awesome surface, bear with us, we wont get it right first time and we have a lot to learn. There is clearly demand for a clay track in the UK judging by the feedback we've had, commitment from our tyre partners Pro-Line, the staggering amount of entries to the oOple race already and the number of people who have contacted me about our first 'open day' in June (details TBC) - this shakedown event will hopefully give us the information to get the surface in order for the oOple Invernational 6 weeks after. The point is the bare bones are there - the hard bit was kickstarting, funding, planning and tieing everything together to get the whole project off the ground - we have to start somewhere! Hopefully it will grow and improve and perhaps oneday we can house the facility indoors.

Bear with the inevitable mistakes we will make, if we don't get it right first time then don't write the venue off - we will learn and improve for the following event and so on..

Yokomo - Nemoracing
Sb Designs
http://www.fairfueluk.com/
Old 08-03-2012

Off road is in origin supposed to be on dirt. I built a astro track in Canada to try so I have experience with both. They both have good and bad points. Astro is cleaner faster no maintenace and easier to get a perfect run on. Dirt is dirtier, slower and the track is harder to maintain, but I will tell you this. Dirt racing is so much more satisfying. The track will change during the day due to weather, the line could get rutted. So you have to be on the ball. The only problem I forsee is the control tire the track wants. Hole shots are great, but not great all the time. It will be interesting to se how you guys handle it. Have fun.
Old 15-07-2012
RHR RACING

Send a message via MSN to James

No thanks to the British summer, all the many hours of hard work are starting to take shape for the oOple Invernational in 2 weeks time - at RHRD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2606.jpg (389.8 KB, 217 views)
Old 15-07-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

That looks bloody superb guys! Big well done from me!
Old 15-07-2012
Administrator

Quote:
No thanks to the British summer, all the many hours of hard work are starting to take shape for the oOple Invernational in 2 weeks time - at RHRD
That looks superb James!
Sorry I've not been down this weekend - my shoulder is now badgered up
Old 15-07-2012
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Awesome.
No other words come close
Old 15-07-2012

Looking good James.
Old 15-07-2012
Mad Member

That looks absoloutly fantastic.

Well done all involved, fooking awesome

Shame im not doing oOple
Old 15-07-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks awesome!

Well done to all involved, this is on my list of tracks to race on, now to eBay to find a rear motor car! Lol

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 15-07-2012
Super Moderator

Why not mike?