Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-01-2016

Default Vintage or Modern?

Hi all.
I'm stuck on which car to buy. After coming back into the hobby after too many decades I am looking for a vintage buggy that I can have a little bashing/fun with, but won't embarrass me if I want to do a little racing at club level.
I'm not necessarily thinking about the original release hot cars of my youth (Cat XLS, Optima Mid, PB Maxima etc), but something modern that is reliable, with good spares availability, can be reasonably competitive, but looks 'vintage.'
I haven't driven anything since my Boomerang in 1988 so even an RC10 Worlds re-re is going to blow my mind in terms of performance as I learn the skills.
Any advice or suggestions?

Cheers.
Old 10-01-2016

go for the rc10 worlds re release.you wont be dissapointed and it will put a massive smile on your face every time you run it.Can outrun most modern cars in capable hands.
Old 10-01-2016
Awesome Admin

I agree with Jez if you want somthing old but for a bit of bashing then you'll have a good parts supply and they won't break the bank either.
Old 13-01-2016

Cheers guys, I'm very tempted. I have a feeling they won't be available for too much longer.
There are cheaper cars around, but I worry about parts supply for some of the Chinese brands. I'll probably get parts for the worlds car in another 20 years.
Old 13-01-2016

I think that all your options have been covered, RC10 Worlds or nowt to suit vintage bashing and racing. Until Kyosho Re-release the Optima Mid, of course.

Tamiya and Kyosho Re-Re's aren't really for racing might not keep up. Unless you're looking at the DT-02 challenge. Where this might fit the bill.

Modernish with vintage looks.

Last edited by bretts; 13-01-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 13-01-2016

That's my DT-02 Holiday Buggy ^ with mod'd front shocks. I wish it still looked like that now!

Racers tend to have very recent and very competitive buggies but there are plenty of vintage classes popping up at clubs so the world could be your oyster if you find somewhere with a vintage/iconic class.

My advice would be to visit your local club and see what's going on and then take it from there.

John
Old 13-01-2016

Hi Guys, thanks for the advice. I would think that the two clubs nearest to me run the usual modern gear, but I just want something to bash with and the occasional race where it wouldn't be totally outclassed. As a dad of 2 I don't have the time to devote to racing every week, but I'd like to give it a go and watch/help out/ have a bit crack and so on.
The worlds car seems to fit the bill, as I will probably be doing well just to get it round the track at the moment, so the latest competitive tool isn't likely to do me much good.

I like the idea of a series for a 'one make' such as the Tamiya that was mentioned, I hope that catches on as it's good to see a cheaper machine with some racing being done around it.

So yes, a semi-competitive car that I can learn on, and will still be entertaining on an evening at the local bashing spot, that I will still get spares for in years to come, the hunt continues but the RC10 worlds is right up there at the mo.

My nightmare would be buying that and then having the Optima re-released. As a boy I would have sold my granny for one of those. Likely to be a tad more expensive than the worlds car tho..... I bet you get no change from £300 or so.
Old 14-01-2016

There are regular open track Iconic Meets at a few clubs. Usually on a Sunday and for 1:10 electric. There are a lot who come and run vintage at those.

There is also the vintage Revival weekend event at A1 Racing in Grantham in the summer.

Lots of re-releases to choose from. If it's to be a re-release to build then these are all good choices with some occasional racing in mind. RC10 Worlds, Kyosho Scorpion/Beetle, Super Hot Shot, Hotshot, Egress.

John.
Old 14-01-2016

The RC10 worlds re re is still a very competitive car on the right surface. I've seen people ditching their modern cars and using those at times.
Old 14-01-2016

I did one round of regionals with my re re rc10 worlds, it was up in 29th place and using my modern car was getting around 60th so it was actually better for me but it was raining and the modern off road cars don;t seem to like off road slippery surfaces like the older rear motor cars.
Old 14-01-2016

They must have got that design so right at the time for it to still have a chance all these years later. It seems that just like in the model aircraft world, the only really significant developments have been 2.4G radio and lipo battery/brushless motor technology.
To have a classic car that can take advantage of both those advances is great.
As someone who has watched RC car development from the corner of my eye since the mid 80's, I still don't understand why a company with the resources that Tamiya has can't seem to come up with a world beating race car just once. Maybe that's for another discussion! I'm sure it would drive further sales of their other buggies though.
I like the idea of the various competitions for classic buggies, it seems to tie in nicely with the occasional racing involvement/spectating/talking buggies with other enthusiasts that I'm after. I'm used to travelling for free-flight model aircraft competitions anyway, so it's no different.
Anyway, I'm enjoying looking at the re-re's and weighing up the pros and cons. Thinking of which car to get ain't a bad place to be in life!

Last edited by Stew73; 14-01-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 14-01-2016
Spends too long on oOple ...

Thing is with the associated rc10 worlds repro youve got people out there that have designed a mid motor version so could buy those 3d parts and run it in mid motor configeration as well, mind you rear motor isnt that far off the pace as you would think.

Also lets hope kyosho dont use my designs in their rerelease as I wont be too impressed if they do.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS

Last edited by Welshy40; 14-01-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 16-01-2016

The Kyosho Scorpion might be an option too. Great vintage looks, but more modern tech. But RC10 re-re is also nice.