Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 10-05-2010
Mad Member

I have just been on to Schumacher.

They are aware that there is an issue with some of the driveshafts falling apart, and are sending me a replacement one out today, so no complaints there.

I am sure once these problems are sorted out with my car it will be all good - I couldn't catch Tom Pattison at Southport yesterday with his, and I was running 4wd!
Old 10-05-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Good to hear

Yeah our quick guy at our track is getting close to the 4WD track record with his!
Old 10-05-2010

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

Took the cougar out yesterday for its first run and it drove really well. Performance wise i was really impressed but wasnt too keen on the quality of the turnbuckles. The 2 front camber link turnbuckles both bent at about 45 degrees at the bendy ball cup end, and then a rear bent as well in a seperate heat with no accidents
I rang schumacher to see if there was any quality issues with these and they said they know of none, and that their turnbuckles are as hard as any of their competitors.
Anyone experienced turnbuckles made of cheese???
Old 10-05-2010
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

no quality issues there made of steel, just replace with purple ti ones Yeah 6000 posts
Old 10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred5765 View Post
no quality issues there made of steel, just replace with purple ti ones Yeah 6000 posts
I've ordered mine and the kit ones will be spares for me or other SV racers

Was going to order an SX2 C/F, but they don't come with titanium turnbuckles etc. which bumps the price back up
Old 10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
Not 'experienced' them as the team drivers simply told me not to bother. This Cougar lark gets damned expensive after Ti turnbuckles, camber link options etc!
Old 10-05-2010

Intersting to hear peoples veiws and teething problems, think ill wait for TRF201x and the decide what to buy
Old 10-05-2010
Mad Member

Gearbox. I have used some wet and dry sand paper on a very flat surface and sanded the high spots of the off the moundings, thus helping the fit and reducing the gap between the two halfs.
Don`t take to much off or you`ll make the layshaft and idle gears bind.

It was once said to me, if you light the blue touch paper you need to stand well back[/CENTER]
Old 10-05-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
Took the cougar out yesterday for its first run and it drove really well. Performance wise i was really impressed but wasnt too keen on the quality of the turnbuckles. The 2 front camber link turnbuckles both bent at about 45 degrees at the bendy ball cup end, and then a rear bent as well in a seperate heat with no accidents
I rang schumacher to see if there was any quality issues with these and they said they know of none, and that their turnbuckles are as hard as any of their competitors.
Gafer tape Tim
Old 10-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Gearbox. I have used some wet and dry sand paper on a very flat surface and sanded the high spots of the off the moundings, thus helping the fit and reducing the gap between the two halfs.
Don`t take to much off or you`ll make the layshaft and idle gears bind.

I might take mine apart before i get to far into the building just to double check it sits flat... once assembled the gear box shows the gap no matter which order i did the screws up.. but once installed on the car and removing the spru burs off the diff cups housings i cant see a gap at all ..

i thought i did see a gap last night just under the camber link, but after looking again today i cant see a gap at all anywhere.

during assembly ..

I did come across a crushed ball stud in the first packet i opened for the build... had to raid my parts bin.
Old 11-05-2010

thats some pretty bad QC at schu.

I have never seen a ball stud like that before, not even in the cheapest kits.

im starting to have 2nd thoughts now, knowing how dodgy this car is/can be.

does the original cat sx have ti turnbuckles? if not, are they the same as the SV's?
Old 11-05-2010

It looks like there is some tweaking of the moulding when it is cooling, with the gearbox.

As for the ball stud, I have seen that in other kits too, they can't physically check every metal piece like screws and such.
Old 11-05-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

You want them to check every ballstud thread, seriously?? How much are you prepared to pay for the kit?? Sadly the odd one will always slip through, same for every single kit manufacture.
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
thats some pretty bad QC at schu.

I have never seen a ball stud like that before, not even in the cheapest kits.

im starting to have 2nd thoughts now, knowing how dodgy this car is/can be.

does the original cat sx have ti turnbuckles? if not, are they the same as the SV's?
the ball stud is obvious it must have stuck in the thread machine as its been crushed .. rather impressive IMO.. and a pain in the bum at the same time.

Ive pulled my diff housing down and sanded it back a bit.. taken very little off, using 1200 grade wet and dry.. the 3 screw sections seem to have ever so slight differences and wont allow the other housing bits to sit flush, after a very little skims over some glass with sand paper on it the housing sit nice and flush and went back onto the car perfect. Its a model after all, some fit and finish work on such a new item maybe required.
Old 11-05-2010

We all rushed them to give use the car so little problems like this will happen...they'll be corrected in the near future for sure. But if Cockril and Moss can win with it, it can't be that bad
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgie View Post
I am experiencing a couple of problems with my Cougar, and it's really not impressing me.

I have (so far) had two drive shafts (both on the left side coincidentally) fall completely apart. neither of them have lasted more than five laps. I have checked the diff for binding, and it's free as could be. i have also checked the droop on the back to make sure it's not excessive and that's fine too.

What else should I be looking for to try and stop this happening?

Also, I have noticed that the anodizing inside the shocks is coming off, making the shocks a tiny bit "notchy" where the anodizing has got between the piston and the shock body (i presume) scratching the inside of the shock body. Is there anything I can do to stop the anodizing from coming off?

Finally, the gearbox moulding doesn't seal properly on my car, nor on the other cars I have seen at the club - so grit and dust (and moisture no doubt) can find it's way in - I can actually see the gears in the 'box from the outside!

I am a little disappointed thus far with the car - I haven't even managed to race it yet, as both drive shafts have failed during practice, well if you can call under 10 laps in two weeks practice.
I'm also experiencing the same with my sons shocks, after three rounds of racing the front shock started to leak so I took the top of the shock to refill it I noticed allot of metallic bits floating around inside, so I cleaned all the oil out and noticed the inside was marked. So I just filled back up with oil and finished the days racing, phone Schumacher on the Monday and explained what had happened and on the Tuesday a parcel with two brand new shock body’s and a set of seals, NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL SERVICE. As with all new products there will be teething problems so just be patient. Real car manufacture can’t get it right look at Toyota!!!

Anyway it’s a big thumbs up for shumacher from me
Old 11-05-2010

Send a message via AIM to PsycoChris Send a message via MSN to PsycoChris

Here is another Issue with my steering.

I am using a JR 9100s Servo. With the stock servo horn they supplied. It is hitting the Inside of the Nose and Binds for a split second. Anyone else having this Issue.

Team Schumacher USA // Speed Passions // Core Rc
Long Island Raceway and Hobby // DarkSide Designs
Old 11-05-2010

Chris the problem with your steering is pretty a easy one remove the purple washers there not supposed to be there,
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eichkay View Post
I might take mine apart before i get to far into the building just to double check it sits flat... once assembled the gear box shows the gap no matter which order i did the screws up.. but once installed on the car and removing the spru burs off the diff cups housings i cant see a gap at all ..

i thought i did see a gap last night just under the camber link, but after looking again today i cant see a gap at all anywhere.

during assembly ..

I did come across a crushed ball stud in the first packet i opened for the build... had to raid my parts bin.
on the gearbox gap issue and tight spot,
remove the slipper assembly and back of the three screws that hold the gearbox half's together, leave them loose and remount the gearbox top on the chassis again tighten it down then re tighten the three screws, taken care not to over tighten them, and re assemble the slipper layshaft assembly and tight spot should be gone and gap also,if theres still a small tight spot run it gently around for 5 10 mins it will go free,
Old 11-05-2010

Indeed I was about to say where in the manual does it say put that washer in.

I've used a Savox and Sanwa with no issues in the car.