Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 04-10-2019

Default Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special TOMS????

Hi Guys

I'm having a little clear-out of some of my cars and letting them go to new owners to enjoy as I probably don't have the time at the moment and many have just been sitting there.

Anyway I've just sold a rare Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid Special (as best as I could determine as I never owned one from new ). I actually have another Turbo Optima Mid Special but I believe it might be the even rarer TOM's version as it has the smoked belt and spur/ pinion housing, the FRP saddle pack chassis, Platinum shocks and the rear shocks are positioned behind the rear wishbones not in front (as was my other Turbo Optima Mid Special, plus the wishbone design is different)

So anyway I'm taking it that the TOMS refers to the "Turbo Optima Mid Special" but wondered if it was just a modified TOMS or a specific model??

Thanks guys

Old 07-10-2019
Mad Member

You need to provide some pics as your details aren't really enough to go by. Platinum shocks were only a feature with the Mid SE and not TOMS. TOMS used the classic kyosho gold damper units.

Lots of long wheel base mids were modified to look like a TOMS. The actual TOMS kit numbers are also relatively small too.
Old 11-10-2019

Cheers Bud

I'll try and post some pics to make identify it easier. It could be a TOMS with the uprated platinum shocks or a LWB saddle pack conversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naushad View Post
You need to provide some pics as your details aren't really enough to go by. Platinum shocks were only a feature with the Mid SE and not TOMS. TOMS used the classic kyosho gold damper units.

Lots of long wheel base mids were modified to look like a TOMS. The actual TOMS kit numbers are also relatively small too.
Old 14-12-2019

Would be interesting to see pics. FYI, the platinum shocks wouldn't really be an upgrade, the gold shocks are a lot better.

Keith
Old 14-12-2019
Mad Member

The less obvious parts of the TOMS that are usuallylay missed is that it should have ball diffs and the yellow 3 piece wheels, ideally both sets of wheels and option house tyres to be complete. The carbon fibre weave pattern should be seen in the carbon fibre chassis plate, but the upper deck should be black fibreglass. The lwb conversion also uses a carbon fibre chassis. A genuine TOMS belt guard would be clear, the smoked guards are standard Mid Custom and Custom Special parts. It should also have gold shocks all round.

The description of the car above sounds like a standard Custom Special with platinum rear shocks. Also a lot of old cars looked like a TOMS as the standard Mid Custom body was almost identical, the only difference being a bump added to the left sidepod to clear the servo arm for the MSC.
Old 10-01-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry.sc View Post
The less obvious parts of the TOMS that are usuallylay missed is that it should have ball diffs and the yellow 3 piece wheels, ideally both sets of wheels and option house tyres to be complete. The carbon fibre weave pattern should be seen in the carbon fibre chassis plate, but the upper deck should be black fibreglass. The lwb conversion also uses a carbon fibre chassis. A genuine TOMS belt guard would be clear, the smoked guards are standard Mid Custom and Custom Special parts. It should also have gold shocks all round.

The description of the car above sounds like a standard Custom Special with platinum rear shocks. Also a lot of old cars looked like a TOMS as the standard Mid Custom body was almost identical, the only difference being a bump added to the left sidepod to clear the servo arm for the MSC.

Can anyone advise who makes the correct TOMS shell without the bump you mention above for the MSC. Thanks
Old 11-01-2020
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike73 View Post
Can anyone advise who makes the correct TOMS shell without the bump you mention above for the MSC. Thanks
That will be MarwanRC
https://marwanrc.com/shop?olsPage=pr...ay-decals-wing
Old 23-01-2020

thanks Terry they seem to be doing a set only at the mo, ive already bought MCI stickers for the TOMS so hoping these are compatible, no sign of being able to order the shell separately, tried emailing but no response just yet? Any oter links for Marwen do they sell on ebay?