Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 04-03-2018

Default 25 year memory loss

Courtesy of grandkids, coming back to this hobby after 25 years and find that I've pretty much forgotten what little I knew back then. Are there any books ( or websites) that can be used as a complete idiot's guide to catch up on what I've missed and where we are now?
I've still got my old Super Dogfighter and Losi XXX and intend to stick with them as platforms, but what should I be running them on in terms of motors, batteries, esc etc?
Any advice appreciated.
Old 04-03-2018
Mad Member

I ran my xx first time back using all my old kit. Unfortunately the batteries weren't up to it so have gone brushless since using shorty lipos from hobbyking and second hand stuff from here.

I'm still using my dad's old 40mhz transmitter as the current one I want is so expensive. Bit embarrassing when I'm the only one using an aerial but at least I don't have to worry about crystal clashes 😁

Not sure what type of batteries would fit in your buggies but here's what I use. There will be plenty of guys who no doubt use your old cars in the vintage section who can advise on winds to ensure you don't knacker your transmission

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/tracksta...0a-esc-v2.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-approved.html

If your not on a budget (I've got 2 boys racing too) then pop to your local model shop for advise. Or try ringing one of the good ones if you have no local ones like mbmodels sms racing of modelsporr
Old 04-03-2018

Welcome to the new world of lipo and brushless

You can get away with a couple of cheap-ish stick or saddle packs, depending on your chassis config.

You will also need a lipo-specific charger (£20 ish) and charging sack. You may also need a personal transponder, but the club you end up racing at might be able to let you hire one or buy cheap.

Your best bet by far is to join the BRCA & find your local club - go along and ask for advice there. You're guaranteed to find some cheap second hand kit.
Old 04-03-2018
Mad Member

I'd be tempted to leave your vintage weapons where they are mainly because spares are hard to come by now unless you have boxes full

Also there not easy to accept Lipo batteries

Best advice is to visit your local club there are always bargains to be had and on here too

Look hard think twice spend once

Regards dave
Old 04-03-2018
Awesome Admin

I agreed with Dave visit your local club and see what’s raced it’ll help with spares and setups. The old stuff can be run and adapted for lipos very easily you’ve just got to look in the right direction.
But as for parts the xxx will be easier and cheaper to fix than the yoke, have a look in our Vintage section there’s loads in there to help with the old stuff. But if you want to off load he yoke let me know it’s hard to say not to a yoke
Old 05-03-2018

Thanks for the advice guys - like they say, every little helps!
Old 06-03-2018

Dijon...It's worth noting there is a real scene for vintage/retro RC cars too; there are some events that run specifically for them...and they can be worth a fair bit of money. You could cash them in and buy modern kit, or keep them as many do as 'shelf queens!'

Have a look at the Vintage section on here:

http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

EDIT...just seen you've already been in there!

Last edited by andrewc; 06-03-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Dijon...It's worth noting there is a real scene for vintage/retro RC cars too; there are some events that run specifically for them...and they can be worth a fair bit of money. You could cash them in and buy modern kit, or keep them as many do as 'shelf queens!'
Fair comment Andrew, although there's a limit to the number of retro collections that I either have space for or can get away with!
Looks like the Yoko is the collectable one in my little RC collection - still looks the part, but then I am biased.

Last edited by Dijon; 18-08-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2018

I wouldn't pitch that classic in against modern machinery. Pick up a decent modern used 4wd & use that instead.
Old 06-03-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijon View Post
Fair comment Andrew, although there's a limit to the number of retro collections that I either have space for or can get away with!
Looks like the Yoko is the collectable one in my little RC collection - still looks the part, but then I am biased.
Watch out for the vultures wanting to pay you peanuts for the yoke
Old 06-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz75 View Post
Watch out for the vultures wanting to pay you peanuts for the yoke
That's a scenario I'm not unfamiliar with in other areas, but thanks for the heads up....what's the going rate for an 870c nowadays?!
Old 06-03-2018
Mad Member

Quote:
That's a scenario I'm not unfamiliar with in other areas, but thanks for the heads up....what's the going rate for an 870c nowadays?!
Not sure tbh peaky is the yoke expert but check eBay for sold stuff too
Old 08-03-2018

Quote:
The best way to sell it is at auction on eBay although if you've had it so long do you really want to let it go? I've still got mine but parts are so hard to come by.

I used to run option house shocks on mine back in the day too

Modelsport UK Race Team | Schumacher KC
Old 22-04-2018

Do you want to do 4wd or 2wd running?