Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-07-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram
Default Motors and warranties

Hi all!

not sure how many of you read other forums, but a while back i posted on the doughtyuk forum about a v2 Spashett motor i was having problems with, causing my car to overheat and go in to thermal shut down in 2/3 minutes of use!

after inspection i found a small peice of the arm on the stack was sticking out and i presumed this could be the issue. i tried a few different varients to resolve the problem.. different endbell, different can, different arm, different esc - different driver!

i had also found wear, and/or corrosion on the motor can see picture -

Wear/Corrosion on motor can magnet

i sent the motor to helger to be checked over after contacting them with the issues. after about two weeks i received a package with the following note:

'missing piece of coating is of no concern, the damage to this arm has been caused by corrosion forcing the laminations apart, this is not a manufacturing fault. David has supplied a spare arm from his stock to help out though'.

now from my point of view, as stated on the note that the corrosion has caused the problem then surely this is a manufacturer failure as the protective coating on both the arm and stack has failed - as it has corroded! i can see no signs of the motor i sent being checked over as both the comm and brushes are in the same state as i left them before packing them up - worn from its last run.

i have been sent another arm to help, but i am not sure it is actually an orion arm, and it is definatly not a spashett edition.

New arm on the left, old arm which caused problems on the right

looking at the 'new' arm the comm is bigger in diameter than a regular V2, the 'grooves' are no longer in the stacks to aid cooling and this armature they have sent me is a 10x3, not the 10x2 i actually sent! there are also some indents in the coppers surface. (im not being picky here, but it is big enough to cause some loss of connectivity to the brushes).

im looking for some advice with the situation really, i feel it should of been replaced fully as the motor has failed, from my viewings the motor has not been tested and i have been given an incorrect armature and the wrong wind which i suppose was to make me feel better over the situation. I dont wish to actually run the motor due to previous runs with the motor it caused my car the thermal shut down in a very serious manner - possibly damaging most of my cars electricals .

The motor its self is about 3 months old, being used most weekends on the correct reccomended gearing by losi and helger 'factory' drivers.

so the question.. what now?
Old 24-07-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

In my opinion they know it is a manufacturing fault or they wouldn't have sent you jack! Complain!
Old 24-07-2006

1 Hard landing and motor magnets can be damaged. Whats to say this damage hasn't been caused by use?

If the motor has worked fine for 3 months then developed a fault it sounds as tho it has been damaged in use.

1 more thing to check is that the endbell is fully insulated ad not shorting out. I have seen a few people have this problem and it makes the motors run very hot and not perform well.
Old 24-07-2006
Administrator

I think its been like this from the start hasnt it paul ? not something that just happened.
Old 24-07-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

I would ring and speak nicely to Helger and try to resolve the situation.

IF you have no success, yo uare well within your rights to contact Team Orion direct.

The V2 endbells have a pronounced problem with shorting out causing heat issues. If you have continued to run it (which is a fair thing to be expected to do) then the heat WILL affect the coatings eventualy. Although it possibly IS a manufacturing fault, because it has been left a while, it has escelated.

I am sure some calm talking (don't email them, talk to them) will get the issue resolved, if not, contact Team Orion direct, and ask Helger to give you a contact number for them.

Hope that helps Paul.
Old 24-07-2006

I see your point about the replacement they sent not being the same, however this is a goodwill gesture and not surprisingly it si not the same as purchased. If this was a problem from new you had the right to return the product within 28 days to the place of purchase with your receipt and requested a refund or replacement. It is difficult to claim failure during normal operation as neither yourself nor the licensed repair agent could demonstrate the validity of the claim. Good luck but you are relying on goodwill not your rights as a consumer. In referance to stating that by giving you a replacement they have admitted liability, this is not true they have just issued a product as a goodwill gesture.

I deal with this everyday sorry if it sounds negative but it is best to be realisitic.
Old 24-07-2006
Administrator

If it comes to it paul. give me the motor and I'll stick it on oscars table at the euros next month and see what he says about it. I've never had a problem with these motors myself but yours is clearly "wrong".
Old 24-07-2006
Supah doOpah

the motor was ok for a little while, but then started to noticeabley get hotter and hotter. i tried enduro brushes to try stop the heat, decrease the timing a little, esc punch.. different esc.. different batterys and nothing seemed to work - this is then when the thermal shut downs occured and i contacted helger.

i think i agree with ian, if there was nothing wrong and it was 'useable' then they would of not sent the new arm, so am i right to assume they knew there is a problem but tried to save some ££ by giving me the replacement.. which i must add i think is used as there are some noticeable indents to the comm.

i am happy that they have at least tried to help in a way but in another way they hav'nt as the arm may not be orion - therefore making the motor a hybrid, making it illegal to use at brca sanctioned events.

i think i may try contact them to hear a more detailed explanation as saying corrosion isnt a manufacturers fault is abit weak.

Jimmy, i may take you up on that offer if nothing is solved! thanks do0d.
Old 24-07-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I think what Pro4nut says is right. Being aggressive gets nowhere, whereas being calm may get them on your side to some extent.

But I reckon Jimmy's offer of letting Oscar see it may get the best results. Oscar is a great guy and really does bend over backwards for any customer - team driver or not.

Chris
Old 24-07-2006

Definately sounds like the endbell has got a short in it, hence why it is getting hot.
Old 24-07-2006
Supah doOpah

i had also tried another endbell from another v2 motor i had, which also thermalled. i had tried another motor can too to be sure.
Old 24-07-2006
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
If it comes to it paul. give me the motor and I'll stick it on oscars table at the euros next month and see what he says about it. I've never had a problem with these motors myself but yours is clearly "wrong".
When you do that Jimmy, give him the spoon also and ask him if he likes it. Take picture of reaction.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 24-07-2006
Administrator

Could get him to "tune the spoon"

should have some good laughs at the euros with the spoon, they just WONT understand at all..
Old 24-07-2006

Send a message via Yahoo to dallasv8
Default motors

i got given a team scream mod by a friend who runs a hobby shop.it was a 12x1 and on its first run it dropped a magnet.i glued it back in and it ran fine,trouble is, in 2 5 minute races it was wearing the brushes down to about 4mm long.and chewed the comm out bad.i tried softer springs and softer brushes and it helped a little bit.from new the comm was out of round, that was part of the drama, but the team screams are sposed to be diamond trued etc etc.i was really dissapointed.motor was in a b4 and speedy is a novak hammer pro.

on that note, has any one tried the checkpoint mods?
Tamiya TNX 5.2R
Eratic Driving Controlled by Nomadio Sensor

Old 24-07-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

There is a chance that you have a 'rogue' motor, as these are built on Mass, so the chances of some 'sub standard' motors slipping through is to be expected.
Old 24-07-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Firstly looking at the replacement arm, it does look like an Orion/Peak arm to me. It's hard to tell from the comm end only!!

It's a tough call really. Personally i think i'd just run it and be happy, but it's your call.

If i was looking at the origional, and was an importer, i'd probably note that it looks to have had a fair bit of running - looking at Comm diameter - again hard to tell from a pic!! The other big question that i would be asking, is how did it get rusty?? usually caused by water being where it shouldn't be..........

The cause of many motor failures is that they have got too hot. If they get too hot and do some damage, they may well still "run" just not properly. I know in touring cars it can be an issue: get motor too hot and they go out of balance. When running out of balence, epoxy putty often comes off which leaves them more out of balence. If still run, the wire will probably ultimately snap and smash into the maget and create a large mess/paper weight!!!!

The motors with the groove in them are especially hard to gear, and 10 turns even more so due to the arm blank that they are wound on.

Last edited by MattW; 24-07-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Old 24-07-2006
Supah doOpah

Picture of the rear..

the comm diameter has shrunk quite alot due to the lathe work whilst it was getting hot and trying to find the problem which is when i gave up!

the rust? your guess is as good as mine - i look after all of my motors and skim/clean often just to keep them in good condition so i really do have no idea.

i will try the arm.. but i am still warey about if it is an orion arm. as they ussually come stamped? this however dosent.
Old 24-07-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Still looks like an Orion arm to me........
Old 24-07-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8

on that note, has any one tried the checkpoint mods?
There are many of us on here who have tried Checkpoints, many who still are using them, so fire away with any checkpoint related questions and someone will answer.
Old 24-07-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Paul,
You may or may not know, I maintain all of Pritchards motors for him, he uses Orion and Peak V2's. Many, if not all of his arms have lost the green coating, some do look to have gained a little rust and some have become really shiney which is bizarre.

Also, at the Euro's Oscar replaced an armature for him, this armature looks exactly like the new one you have - i.e. it is green, clean looking and very neatly wound with only a stamp for the wind. It was a 13turn, so he doesn;t use it often.

Chris