Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 13-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by type49rs View Post
Thanks for the additional pics Rob. Strange....I also set my kickup as per the manual but my manual shows to use the top hole hence the reason why I have so much castor with the teamline c-hubs. I will go back to the lower hole and everything will be sweet.....might even try the blue steering again Thanks again for your help.....looking forward to seeing your tub chassied car finished
You are correct, the manual does show mounting the brace in the top holes
Been a while since i looked at it. Ok i will re-write my comment.
I just run mine not as per manual, I use the lower setting

Last edited by rob m; 13-02-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 13-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
You are correct, the manual does show mounting the brace in the top holes
Been a while since i looked at it. Ok i will re-write my comment.
I just run mine not as per manual, I use the lower setting
All good Rob Funny..... I remember having a similiar conversation with a racing buddy of mine about 20 years ago lol
Old 14-02-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Ok had a look at the last zxr euros winner Ellis Staffords car and he had his pivot blocks in the same position as mine, in the upper holes on front gearbox plus even though its a zxrr he opted to use the zx top tie rod castor block holder and may aid in resolving bump steer. Also used normal ball joints all round with zero spacers.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 15-02-2015

Not sure if this has already been discussed but is it best to retain or omit the factory belt tensioner in the standard front gearbox for the ZXR?
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 15-02-2015

And another question, will this hub work on a ZXR?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kyosho-Al...item35d9a11426
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S

Last edited by HKS_TRD; 15-02-2015 at 03:12 AM.
Old 15-02-2015

i tested my zx yesterday. I used zx5 10 degree c hubs from my lwb mid and 68mm cvds..retired my mid for a while.
the car was very quick but very twitchy. Also this time norhing broke or fell off ! I ran the car for 3 packs before suddenly i felt the car couldnt move. As you can see in the pic..rear bel5 stripped. Still dont know the cause..but could be caused by some sand getting in.
anyway the car was quick and twitchy when cornering out. My rear gear diff was too hard. Compared to my swb mid..the swb was very stable and i was able to power into the long sweeping corner very tight and quick..surprising a few peoplw who saw it.
still the zx was awesome given the rear diff handicap. It jumped with authority. I am building ball diffs now and also softened the rear diff, replace the rear belt. I am gonna try with gear diffs again to compare it against my gear diff equiped swb mid. I think the lazer is almost where i want it. Just need a few tweaks. I am just worried that the rear belt will strip in a race.
I will take a video next week.
I looked over the zx and compared it to my lwb mid and noticed that the zx has its motor and battery considerably more forward..hence it should have more steering ..with a tradeoff of less rear stability.

now i am in a quandry..race the zx..or the lwb mid..
oh yeah..anyone have the lazer steering bellcrank plate to sell ? I need one.
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Ok had a look at the last zxr euros winner Ellis Staffords car and he had his pivot blocks in the same position as mine, in the upper holes on front gearbox plus even though its a zxrr he opted to use the zx top tie rod castor block holder and may aid in resolving bump steer. Also used normal ball joints all round with zero spacers.
Interesting that he went back to the long top links....I might try them but I'll wait till I get my Teamline front tower and then have a play around with camber link positions etc. Also keen try both upper and lower kickup positions on the track.....must get the car going first
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcyon View Post

i tested my zx yesterday. I used zx5 10 degree c hubs from my lwb mid and 68mm cvds..retired my mid for a while.
the car was very quick but very twitchy. Also this time norhing broke or fell off ! I ran the car for 3 packs before suddenly i felt the car couldnt move. As you can see in the pic..rear bel5 stripped. Still dont know the cause..but could be caused by some sand getting in.
anyway the car was quick and twitchy when cornering out. My rear gear diff was too hard. Compared to my swb mid..the swb was very stable and i was able to power into the long sweeping corner very tight and quick..surprising a few peoplw who saw it.
still the zx was awesome given the rear diff handicap. It jumped with authority. I am building ball diffs now and also softened the rear diff, replace the rear belt. I am gonna try with gear diffs again to compare it against my gear diff equiped swb mid. I think the lazer is almost where i want it. Just need a few tweaks. I am just worried that the rear belt will strip in a race.
I will take a video next week.
I looked over the zx and compared it to my lwb mid and noticed that the zx has its motor and battery considerably more forward..hence it should have more steering ..with a tradeoff of less rear stability.

now i am in a quandry..race the zx..or the lwb mid..
oh yeah..anyone have the lazer steering bellcrank plate to sell ? I need one.
Was the belt new and are you using the brass rollers to prevent the "loose " side of belt slapping around as it guides itself onto and off the pulleys? I use a 6.5t brushless and have only snapped one belt but that's was before using a belt tensioner, also it was not a kyosho original so maybe it was that.
This is off the topic but how do you post pictures this size?
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
Was the belt new and are you using the brass rollers to prevent the "loose " side of belt slapping around as it guides itself onto and off the pulleys? I use a 6.5t brushless and have only snapped one belt but that's was before using a belt tensioner, also it was not a kyosho original so maybe it was that.
This is off the topic but how do you post pictures this size?
I cant remember if i used a new belt. Yes all the rollers were present. There was an undertray "failure" so that could have let in too much sand. I
Posted all my pics on photobucket and post the link here.
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS_TRD View Post
Not sure if this has already been discussed but is it best to retain or omit the factory belt tensioner in the standard front gearbox for the ZXR?
Are you on about those brass bushing things in the gearbox. I took them out of mine as they dont really do much, also found the rear bushing wore the rear belt so removed and tensioned the belt using bearings.
Answer UK team driver
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:

Unsure, if width is identical to the zxs rear hubs then cant see it not working, but would try plastic version first as it is cheaper, also may find the hub is lower down than the normal and could cause handling issues and ujs will rub on wishbone.
Answer UK team driver
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:

Quote:
I cant remember if i used a new belt. Yes all the rollers were present. There was an undertray "failure" so that could have let in too much sand. I
Posted all my pics on photobucket and post the link here.
Mate, im useless with keeping your address. Pm me it and im sending you my tensioner for the standard gearbox. Belt needs to be taughter from the underneath closer to the diff, but also like Robs idea where he added one above as well.
Answer UK team driver
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Mate, im useless with keeping your address. Pm me it and im sending you my tensioner for the standard gearbox. Belt needs to be taughter from the underneath closer to the diff, but also like Robs idea where he added one above as well.
Sending you my adress by email. Do you also have the zx steering plate ? My lwb mid is now sitting idle because i nicked its steering plate for my zx. I will running the zx fot these coming few weeks but would like to have my mid ready.
I have just installed a newrear belt and ball diff in my zx. its going to be a xb4 killer !
Old 15-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:

its for the rb5 nad so forth ....

mvh isobarik
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Sending you my adress by email. Do you also have the zx steering plate ? My lwb mid is now sitting idle because i nicked its steering plate for my zx. I will running the zx fot these coming few weeks but would like to have my mid ready.
I have just installed a newrear belt and ball diff in my zx. its going to be a xb4 killer !
Mate, believe it or not i actually have no spare steering plate. I will ask fibrelyte to make me one tomorrow out of CF, i dont even think ive got a ZXS one which is pretty much identical to the ZX. ZXR version wasnt my favourite and caused me problems whereas Jamie Booth got on well with it.

Im still waiting to test your blue LA11 pulleys so send me a few as well when you get a chance.
Answer UK team driver
Old 15-02-2015

Quote:
Are you on about those brass bushing things in the gearbox. I took them out of mine as they dont really do much, also found the rear bushing wore the rear belt so removed and tensioned the belt using bearings.
Yep thats the ones, but now I think about it if I am going to run a front belt tensioner near the layshaft with your gearbox design then I definitely won't need it

Quote:
Unsure, if width is identical to the zxs rear hubs then cant see it not working, but would try plastic version first as it is cheaper, also may find the hub is lower down than the normal and could cause handling issues and ujs will rub on wishbone.
I think you might be right, though it does say they are for a ZX-5 and I have (3Racing albeit) ZX-5 rear hubs on my Mid with Lazer suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobarik View Post
its for the rb5 nad so forth ....

mvh isobarik
So does that mean no they won't work?

Quote:
Mate, believe it or not i actually have no spare steering plate. I will ask fibrelyte to make me one tomorrow out of CF, i dont even think ive got a ZXS one which is pretty much identical to the ZX. ZXR version wasnt my favourite and caused me problems whereas Jamie Booth got on well with it.

Im still waiting to test your blue LA11 pulleys so send me a few as well when you get a chance.
Blue LA-11 pulleys? Can you tell me more please, I'd be up for some of these!
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S
Old 16-02-2015

Quote:

Welshy..i never made blue pulleys. About the steering plate..would it be better besides cheaper to ask for csc instead of cf?
Old 16-02-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
So does that mean no they won't work?
yeah it wont work .....

due to the hub is to far out so the drive shaft isnt long enough

mvh iso
Old 16-02-2015

Quote:
Welshy..i never made blue pulleys. About the steering plate..would it be better besides cheaper to ask for csc instead of cf?
I recal blue in a picture somewhere, but never the less no matter the colour havent been able to test yet.

Im not bothered on the cost mate so will get you a CF one.
Answer UK team driver
Old 16-02-2015

Quote:
I recal blue in a picture somewhere, but never the less no matter the colour havent been able to test yet.

Im not bothered on the cost mate so will get you a CF one.
thanks welshy40..its nice to hear but i am worried that cf might be too rigid. I have used fibrelyte csc towers with very good results..no breakage as they flex a little.