Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-10-2008

Looking through this thread it seems a good read but forgive me here in requiring more help as regards to this ezrun/xerun brushless system. Being very new to brushless I'm having difficulty with understanding the terms associated with the various turns! At present I run a 27 turn brushed motor & know that I'll need 13.5 in brushless turns but all I can see is 13T in the ezrun range, is there that much of a difference?? Also, what is the difference betwwen the amp range (25a/35a/60/120a) where it says some are for sportiful use and the other for competition use??
If anyone could please help shed light in my understanding I would be eternally grateful. With thanks.
Old 13-10-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget70 View Post
Looking through this thread it seems a good read but forgive me here in requiring more help as regards to this ezrun/xerun brushless system. Being very new to brushless I'm having difficulty with understanding the terms associated with the various turns! At present I run a 27 turn brushed motor & know that I'll need 13.5 in brushless turns but all I can see is 13T in the ezrun range, is there that much of a difference?? Also, what is the difference betwwen the amp range (25a/35a/60/120a) where it says some are for sportiful use and the other for competition use??
If anyone could please help shed light in my understanding I would be eternally grateful. With thanks.
The eZRun system is sensorless and the motors are not built to the ROAR specs that the sensored motors are based on, so finding equivalency is even more difficult!

In terms of windings there are a couple of different ways of winding a brushless motor, one results in round number windings, the other in 0.5 windings. I'm not an expert on the details of the windings though. Unfortunatley Hobbywing do not state any power ratings or brushed equivalents.

Higher amp rating of the ESC means it can handle faster motors.

The Xerun system is sensored and is the model that Speed Passion rebrand. It is a full competition ESC. As far as I know this model is not available for retail outside of China although that situation may have changed.

PS 13.5's are now a lot faster than 27T brushed, much closer to 19T in fact. As brushless develops the motors (and our understanding of them) have made big leaps forward since the first equivalencies were suggested.

PPS I saw the eZRun in action briefly in a touring car last night and it looked fast and smooth, not what I expected from a budget sensorless system. Didn't drive it myself so couldn't comment any further.
Old 15-10-2008

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my query, much appreciated indeed!
Old 12-11-2008

I have ezrun 9T and is it very good motor!esc is always cool
Old 23-11-2008

I have also been looking into some of these brushless set ups and am wondering wether the 60amp unit holds up or performs much better than the 35amp unit? I already own 3 GTB's and a Mamba Max so I thought I'd look around for a 540/sports tuned equivelent for some of my vintage buggy runners. Any advice from those of you who own them or from anyone who knows what direction I should take? Cheers-Jason.
Old 25-11-2008
Mad Member

I have the 9t 35Amp combo and its much faster than a sports tuned motor. I used to race a very good 19t motor in my car, and replaced it with the EZrun. The car is much faster than the 19t motor, the torque is immense and the system is more than adequate on a club level.

Due to the reliability and speed I got with this, I have bought another one for my 501x that I intend to try out at Bury in the next few weeks. Obviously buggies are a bit heavier than my touring car but it should be good enough for me.

For the price, anyone that's looking to spend £40 on a brushed motor nowadays is missing the point.
Old 28-04-2009
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mog ruith View Post
has anyone else run this esc? im looking for a brushless esc and to think the ezrun is cheap i may get it but before that i need more info on this product btw where do you guys purchase this esc?
i yes you can be them from a modelshop in wales for £79.99 ezrun reading card 10 turner i will look on his site carnt rember what the shop called
Old 29-04-2009

I also purchased an ezrun 5.5 turn system from China delivered in a week for £70.00.

Bought this instead of the excelorin system, been very happy with it, very fast and so far no problems either, very easy to program with the supplied program card.

As its not sensored its very slighty sluggish on pull away put once moving it really goes.

The on off switch is a bit flimsy so tuck it safe out of the way, that aside very good for bashing or possibly club racing.
Old 11-05-2009

hi im planning on buying a ezrunBL system for 4wd buggy, durga.which u guys say is more suitable, 9t or 8.5t or 5.5t? i find out tat the 5.5t system is cheaper than 8.5t one on ebay!! weird.??
Old 11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickylew View Post
I also purchased an ezrun 5.5 turn system from China delivered in a week for £70.00.

Bought this instead of the excelorin system, been very happy with it, very fast and so far no problems either, very easy to program with the supplied program card.

As its not sensored its very slighty sluggish on pull away put once moving it really goes.

The on off switch is a bit flimsy so tuck it safe out of the way, that aside very good for bashing or possibly club racing.

Dicky..

you say that the 5.5 model is sensorless.. what amp rating does that speedo have ..? also is that the ezrun or the xerun..?

How would you say it compares to a GTB System or LRP system in terms of performance..?

Thanks

Lee
Old 11-05-2009

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

I'm currently running a EC Speed ESC + 11.5T motor I got for £52 by eBay auction. The same combo is available on the EC Power website for $120. It looks similar to the 60A EZRun, but sensored.

I've run it a few nights now with a BJ4, and it's performed admirably - I had to dial down the punch as it was causing the car to torque steer on a slippy floor (or else my car has an issue, which is likely too...)! The fan is much better than the Losi system (most of the ones at my club look like a sweet-toothed hillbilly), and keeps everything nice and cool.

The little program card, similar to the EZRun efforts, works like a charm, too.

Other budget options - Roundabout Toys are selling the Orion 70A Vortex for £40 - I believe it's a redadged Xerun? It runs sensored or sensorless, so lots of options for motor.
Old 11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsomrak View Post
hi im planning on buying a ezrunBL system for 4wd buggy, durga.which u guys say is more suitable, 9t or 8.5t or 5.5t? i find out tat the 5.5t system is cheaper than 8.5t one on ebay!! weird.??
Note - the 9t is not really a full 540 can motor - it has fins which get it up to size. Some have found it gets very hot moving bigger cars, like trucks. Any of the Hobbywing motors that are x.5T are full 540 can motors.
Old 12-05-2009

Quote:
I use the 5.5T and 60A esc in a Durga with LIPO packs, and I can hold my own down the straight with guys running brand-name, sensored 6.5s and 7.5s, if that helps?
Old 12-05-2009

blackbeard,did u damage any diffs or hav to make any mods to diffs of ur durga?
Old 12-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I've now got both the Ezrun (5.5T and 9T versions) and a Xerun (is in the Orion Vortex)

What I can say is:

1) The 9t is indeed not a true 540 sized motor. Its a 380 diameter, but 540 length. None the less its perfectly capable and certainly propelled my B4 at a decent enough pace. Comparable to a conventional 10.5 prehaps, with a little less torque but more revs. Seen them used indoor on 4wds, but really 2wd only.

2) The 5.5 is a beast. No-one who has seen the speed of my 4wd could believe the whole brushless system had cost me £60. Speed wise its quite capable of matching sensored 5.5s, but you do need to be careful. Even with the setup system it lacks some of the finesse of sensored motors and consquently is 4wd only I reckon. The 8.5 version is milder, but still produces gobs of torque low down meaning its a handful in a 2wd.

3) The Xerun (Orion) is great. Not got to try their sensored motor (running an X11) but the extra smoothness really helps in 2wd.

So, Budget brushless options, I'd say:

4wd Ezrun 60A +5.5t (large outdoors) or 8.5t (small indoors)

2wd Ezrun 35A 9T (small indoors, ultra budget) or Orion 70A Vortex (Xerun) + cheap sensored 7.5t motor (Nosram Dragon?) if you can.
Old 12-05-2009

Quote:
blackbeard,did u damage any diffs or hav to make any mods to diffs of ur durga?
I haven't damaged a diff yet (touch wood). They're totally stock, although I do rebuild them after every three or four meetings.

The 5.5t Ezrun is rated as 6000kv, which I think is equivalent to most decent sensored 6.5t/7.5t BL motors (probably somewhere in the middle). Plenty fast though.
Old 13-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Coe View Post
I've now got both the Ezrun (5.5T and 9T versions) and a Xerun (is in the Orion Vortex)

What I can say is:

1) The 9t is indeed not a true 540 sized motor. Its a 380 diameter, but 540 length. None the less its perfectly capable and certainly propelled my B4 at a decent enough pace. Comparable to a conventional 10.5 prehaps, with a little less torque but more revs. Seen them used indoor on 4wds, but really 2wd only.

2) The 5.5 is a beast. No-one who has seen the speed of my 4wd could believe the whole brushless system had cost me £60. Speed wise its quite capable of matching sensored 5.5s, but you do need to be careful. Even with the setup system it lacks some of the finesse of sensored motors and consquently is 4wd only I reckon. The 8.5 version is milder, but still produces gobs of torque low down meaning its a handful in a 2wd.

3) The Xerun (Orion) is great. Not got to try their sensored motor (running an X11) but the extra smoothness really helps in 2wd.

So, Budget brushless options, I'd say:

4wd Ezrun 60A +5.5t (large outdoors) or 8.5t (small indoors)

2wd Ezrun 35A 9T (small indoors, ultra budget) or Orion 70A Vortex (Xerun) + cheap sensored 7.5t motor (Nosram Dragon?) if you can.

oohh..how is the 5.5t speed compared to 8.5t's speed on tarmac? alot diffrenece?
Old 13-05-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Not as much as you might think as you can gear the 8.5 quite high. But I would say I'd never dream of using the 5.5 in a 2wd, the 8.5 I might. The difference is more to do with power than actual speed.
Old 14-05-2009

A question concerning the timing option on the program card.
Changing these settings, does it work in sensorless mode or is this only working with a sensored setup like a Xerun?

I've tried a few changes on my 60A Ezrun + Dr. Speed 12T Delta. Turned the timing way up, but can't see any changes in power output.

Another question concerning power output :
Esc Ezrun 60A burst 380A
Lipo Orion 4800 20C
Dr. Speed 12T Delta 450W=60A

What is the limiting factor in this setup ? Will changing the Esc to a Xerun 120A improve performance ?
Old 14-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Another question concerning power output :
Esc Ezrun 60A burst 380A
Lipo Orion 4800 20C
Dr. Speed 12T Delta 450W=60A

What is the limiting factor in this setup ? Will changing the Esc to a Xerun 120A improve performance ?
The present motor and ESC are well matched, but the LiPo can deliver a bit more (wouldn't want to red-line a LiPo, mind you). You'd need to upgrade the motor too for the 120A to make a significant difference.

Have you tried gearing up? Brushless apparently responds well to it.