Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 04-07-2017

Default Differential maintenance

Hi,

I am about to order replacement parts for my ball diff and have a question about what type of grease to order. I was told by a veteran racer to use black for the larger balls and white/clear grease for the smaller ones.

Does this sound right and if so, what grease do I need to buy as there seems to be a few variations of the stuff.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2017

For AE ball diffs. IU would suspect all too. Black on the thrust bearing(normally fewer balls) clear on the balls in the gear itself the ones in contact with the diff rings.
try and download a manual for the car your diff goes in and confirm that way. Im 90% you have it the wrong way around.
Old 10-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Hi,

I am about to order replacement parts for my ball diff and have a question about what type of grease to order. I was told by a veteran racer to use black for the larger balls and white/clear grease for the smaller ones.

Does this sound right and if so, what grease do I need to buy as there seems to be a few variations of the stuff.

Thanks
Other way around I'm afraid.
Old 10-07-2017
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
yeah as above, that's totally the wrong way round, and you'll kill your fresh balls and plates first run if you do that.

Black moly grease is for the small thrust race. This is a molybdenum disulphide metal lubricant for parts under pressure/friction or load.
Clear silicone grease is for the large balls and plates. Lots of the major brands versions are good to use. Some swear by Associated diff grease. I personally like the kyosho grease. The silicone grease isn't actually a lubricant, it contains silica and is used so the balls actually grip the plates. the "better" greases tend to contain more silica.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 10-07-2017

When i run pred used to rebuild diffs ounce a year no problem's using standard parts and grease
Old 11-07-2017

Looks like I just got the grease the wrong way around. Thanks for correcting me everyone.

When rebuilding it, is it wise to replace the plates and balls regardless of their condition to be on the safe side?

Also, what product is best to use to actually clean it all? Some form of spray cleaner?
Old 11-07-2017

Quote:
Looks like I just got the grease the wrong way around. Thanks for correcting me everyone.

When rebuilding it, is it wise to replace the plates and balls regardless of their condition to be on the safe side?

Also, what product is best to use to actually clean it all? Some form of spray cleaner?
I'd replace it all personally.

Just use brake cleaner to clean all parts prior to building. Or bearing blaster from Schumacher.
Hobbywing
Mark One Designs