Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 06-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yer I understand, I just hate astro I did see some photos of that some time ago, didn't know they had left it like that, maybe they should have used it

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 06-10-2015

I don't like to see people dismissing the work of everyone involved. It's a world class venue with world class organisers, who've given us a world class track which has provided world class racing. The actual surface is largely irrelevant - what's important is it's a track with sufficient surface complexity. The way in which the astro has been laid means that even on the flat stuff, there are pronounced shifts in grip levels, much like you'd find on a typical dirt track that's been weather affected. Granted, the layout is much smoother than the astro track next door, but flowing high-grip blue groove circuits are also experiencing a boom in popularity. It's the natural progression of off road circuits internationally, and sooner rather than later, big events will have to start looking at alternatives.

I completely understand that those who've spent their lives racing around dirt tracks will likely find it artificial, and there's no denying it is - the majority of dirt tracks that aren't loose and dusty undergo a lot of sugar treatment to create an unnaturally high-grip surface. That's just how things are. What I really dislike is the "on road with jumps" adage - of course, grip levels are comparable to rubbered-in concrete or carpet. The carpet EOS tracks really are almost suitable for on road racing, minus the jumps. But that's where it all ends - it feels like people almost devalue the skill involved just because cars aren't sliding through every corner and getting covered in dirt after every run. Naturally occurring on the chosen surface or not, every crest, jump, bump or shift in the grip level takes an extreme amount of skill to negotiate with any kind of pace.

If any of you have flicked through the event programme too, they included a nice little section on why they switched to astro. They summarise it nicely.

Last edited by buggy#0; 06-10-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntH View Post
Associated and Tebo did their homework. Lots of thought, lots of prep, lots of practice. I think that the laydown 3 gear cars had an advantage over the Yokomo 4 gear laydown setup on this uber high traction track. Perhaps we will see one on a Yokomo for indoor carpet use and to honest perhaps they should have taken one..
Lee Martin use a 3gear transmission for the mains

Old 06-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
Lee Martin use a 3gear transmission for the mains

Good spot, I've been busy today and other than watching the a2 and a3 legs thus morning haven't really had chance to look at the photos.

Didn't really see what Lee's car was like in the mains, but I suspect the 3 gear rotation may have helped with the 5 spice. He didn't run in A3, anyone know why?

AE cars looked dialed on these obstacles, makes me wonder if they "arranged" for them to be there, having setup for them already in testing. just sayin'... 28 world titles don't come cheap.

Not taking away from the stand out drives from Ravkin and Craggy, but they were all handed cars that were setup to work on this track, and did so from the start.
Everyone else was starting from nothing. Tebo had God on his side, and stuck to his guns with a cut 'n' shut. He was quick because hed spent a year practicing with that car on a private carpet track, while his car was junk over the 5 spice. He was on a mission for sure. Best man won in end.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Looks like there are back for 4wd...

http://s.ameblo.jp/yatabe-arena/imag...446475912.html
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Col; 07-10-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2015

He didn't run in A3, anyone know why?

Think He broke ............
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post

Think He broke ............
Yes, happened off screen, but commentator does comment. Happened on about 1st or 2nd corner

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 07-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
I think something broke before the race had even started. That's what the LiveRC guys alluded to,
Old 07-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Even tho the black strips maybe wern't ideal it did slow down the times and provided a hit an miss area. Im ok with that.

On out indoor track we have 4-5 small jumps that do a little of that which I think may have worked a little better, well maybe less complaining anyway.

These have a 45*45 with a 30cm wide hardboard screwed to it.
Have them at different angles and they are great.

Serpent are testing and I think they wanted to have the brand name in with the best shot of getting on the podium.
Would have been intereresting to see if Jörn had made the podium what car he would hold up?

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 07-10-2015

Track may not have been world class and inconsistent or anything else but it was ultimately the same for everyone, Chris Hoy made a career out of riding around an oval but I doubt anyone said it wasn't proper cycling who rides a bike indoors! At the end of the day it's the competition the other entrants that make it world class! and as for development and proto types that's high end competition for you, I doubt you can buy Lewis Hamiltons gearbox or Valentino Rossi's swinging arm off the shelf. This is after all Modified not spec racing!
----AE B4 ft----Xfactory X6^----DEX210 V1----
----TLR22 3.0----TLR22 4.0----TLR22t 4.0----TLR22 5.0AC----
----AE B6.4----
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

Default Final Standings 2WD

Can be found here:
http://events.redrc.net/wp-content/u...-Standings.pdf

Last edited by JCJC; 07-10-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to MattW

Quote:
Originally Posted by neallewis View Post
Good spot, I've been busy today and other than watching the a2 and a3 legs thus morning haven't really had chance to look at the photos.

Didn't really see what Lee's car was like in the mains, but I suspect the 3 gear rotation may have helped with the 5 spice. He didn't run in A3, anyone know why?

AE cars looked dialed on these obstacles, makes me wonder if they "arranged" for them to be there, having setup for them already in testing. just sayin'... 28 world titles don't come cheap.

Not taking away from the stand out drives from Ravkin and Craggy, but they were all handed cars that were setup to work on this track, and did so from the start.
Everyone else was starting from nothing. Tebo had God on his side, and stuck to his guns with a cut 'n' shut. He was quick because hed spent a year practicing with that car on a private carpet track, while his car was junk over the 5 spice. He was on a mission for sure. Best man won in end.
So let me check I'm understanding correctly here......

You're telling me, that Associated, managed to get a track built at Yokomo's facility, that would suit their car better than it would suit Yokomo's own car?? really?? good one!

I don't understand the comment that they were handed cars to work on that track??

I think what actually happened was that everyone thought Yokomo would be favourite (me included) based on their experience with Astro cars and Lee's experience with the surface. They looked good at the warm up. What also happened however was that the other manufactures accepted that they had to do something different, and went away and worked hard on doing just that. I don't ever remember a worlds where there was so much new / prototype stuff from so many manufactures.

My personal view is that a lot of the credit for AE's (possibly surprise) success has to go to Red Workshop. His was certainly the first "laydown" gearbox that I ever saw. Also Neil, clearly he has experience with the surface to match Lee. Don't forget that AE also dipped their toe in by running at an EOS to test some ideas that would help them.

Very interesting that Yokomo decided to test a 3 gear box, I spotted it on some pics when I was having a quick look through last night. They clearly thought there was something in the concept - something that Neil has been saying for a while
Old 07-10-2015

Quote.. "AE cars looked dialed on these obstacles, makes me wonder if they "arranged" for them to be there, having setup for them already in testing. just sayin'... 28 world titles don't come cheap.."

Neal...are you really suggesting that Associated paid bribes to get a track to suit their cars..!..this isn't FIFA.
Just accept that they are better than Yokomo...!
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 07-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

come on boys I think the strips were added just to increase ride hight, by chance the team/car that nailed a setup good for the whole track including the strips was clearly AE.You have to smile at AE, for months they wouldn't let neil run the Centro as it wasn't full AE now they win the words with a conversion

Interestingly in the track walk by lee and neil, lee was the one looking to see if it was going to be possible jump them as I believe Rivkin was in the finals,But in a quick walk past chat with a yokomo driver the driver commented that they really struggled to get the car over the rubber strips. Quite interesting that 5 pieces of rubber added last minute seems to have had such an influence over the result.

I think I saw some photos were the strips have been moved onto a corner for 4wd

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 07-10-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I also have to admit the new yokomo 4wd looks nice, even if it wants to munch your wiring at the first opportunity

Flask of tea & a rollup
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

I have been watching and I am amazed at the motors they have using! 5.5 for 2wd and looks like 5.0 are being used for 4wd.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

Worlds is always going to cause some controversy.

The fact is the track they choose is not what the cars have really been designed for but do show a reflection on tracks used in UK especially and more into Europe.
I like indoor racing but not with limitless grip, I would like to have seen some slippery hairpins. The rumble strips was there to break up the pace of the circuit 17 seconds was too fast even with them, and yes it meant the cars had to have some rideheight, also it made sure the shaft cars would be more handicaped in that section with the non shaft cars as they really don't do bumps as well.
Any Team with Gerd in is going to be running some non production models.
Associated keeping under wraps is very suspicious to me, if it was new prototype stuff why keep a secret? maybe they borrowed some bits from another manufacturer?. Associated went with a very strong team as always and for a young gun to win will shake up the old school, will Rifkin buy Cav a Beer after the coming together, you could see his intention to win after not stopping for the Multi WC top Associated driver. He was on fire in finals impressive stuff.
Tebo running his own hybrid was a little controversial, However Boots was running the new prototype RB6 which we expect to see in production soon. 11th place was much more than expected and fast enough for 5th in all A final runs. The Kyosho cars was kept secret prior but was fully on show during event.
Yokomo lacked some depth to their team at the top, Lee did well to get there after a poor start but just was not on pace of the rest.

I think its clear that 2wd has become such a variable class depending on surface and track features that this worlds has highlighted that many cars are still not developed to point where they can compete in all arenas! I doubt anyone in top 20 had a car off the shelf to buy now!

Looking forward to 4wd, i expect more drivers to show, so far some very strong drivers been missing under radar as they likely had 2wd not up to it, Like Ronnafelk and few others way down the field. Doubt it will be 2 horse race in qualifying like 2wd was!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

As usually the fast yanks where fast and despite the liking of the english people for lee martin hes good but at the big events havent cragg been the better of the two.

mvh isobarik

ps i belive this will stirr things up

yeah i from sweden and we werent in the a
yeah my spelling sucks
Old 07-10-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Skull View Post
Associated keeping under wraps is very suspicious to me, if it was new prototype stuff why keep a secret? maybe they borrowed some bits from another manufacturer?
It's funny you should say that, because after chatting to an AE driver attending the Worlds, they didn't say they'd been running the Redworkshop 'box nor any kind of prototype factory one, even though that's what RedRC reported. They were also able to take snaps of one of the Redworkshop cars on display, but all the others appear to be pretty secretive about what they had under the shell - and that wouldn't make sense if they were all running an identical or very similar solution.

Taking into account their somewhat unprecedented dominance, I think it's fair to say that they're running something unique. It's anybody's guess as to what the layout actually is, but I think it's becoming more and more obvious that they turned up in such an unassuming manner for a reason.
Old 07-10-2015
Mad Member

Forgott to say that ....

in the D-main

That was won by Travis Ameszcua followed by Ty Tessman and Ben Jamison
in 8th place ahead of Richard Lowe in 9th and Shin Adachi in 10th

Was Malin Karlsen driving for sweden
She is a teamdriver for xray and 10 years old .....

mvh isobarik

Last edited by isobarik; 07-10-2015 at 04:16 PM.