Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 22-06-2011

Default Cat SX3 rear belt installation issue

Hi All,

I am having problems of installing the rear belt.. After installed the rear belt, I can hear a "knocking" sound come out from the pulley located in the mid section. I have tried reassembled 3 times and still having the same issue. The "knocking" sound disappeared when I take off the rear belt. Anyone of you have this issue or this is normal? Please help.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 22-06-2011

am also having a similar problem..
Old 22-06-2011
oOple Advertiser

are the eccentric bearing holders lined up right? if not the diff will run offset and the belt will bang against the side plates

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 22-06-2011

make sure you havent put the wrong screws in the wishbones if to long they will hit the diff and lock it up
Old 22-06-2011

there is nothing hitting anything, its a tiny slack between the the pulley and layshaft, nothing to worry about
Old 22-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth898 View Post
there is nothing hitting anything, its a tiny slack between the the pulley and layshaft, nothing to worry about
Everything checked and nothing catching anything...
Thank you for your comforting comment. however, how smooth should the drivetrain be running? It seems that the first Gen Cat SX does not have such issue.
Old 22-06-2011

Had this problem also and spent ages trying to cure it. Found on mine the noise came from the idler gears being loose on the shafts (makes a slight click during slow rotation) just add a thin washer before installing the nut to take out the slack, check you still have some end float. You may find the mesh of the gears feels tight after this just grease them up and they bed in nicely after a few runs
Old 22-06-2011

I've seem some Sx and sx2's built with the small gear that the long belt goes around next to the spur gear fitted on the wrong way around. Flipping the gear over stopped the clicking.

Ludlow Radio Car Club

LRCC Youtube Vid.
Old 22-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Everything checked and nothing catching anything...
Thank you for your comforting comment. however, how smooth should the drivetrain be running? It seems that the first Gen Cat SX does not have such issue.
try this, slowly pull the belt and look at the pulley rotate. note that it will click 4 times in a 360 rotation. That is the metal on metal contact between the square shaft and square pulley hole. There has to be a little slack between the two to allow the parts to fit together. Even at the tightest tolerences it can make a little sound. I think the click is caused because of the increased preasure of the new diff belt.

If it really bothers you put a small dab of blue threadlock on the layshaft before installing the pulley it should stop the noise. just be prepared for trouble removing it after.
Old 22-06-2011
Mad Member

I had this on my sx2, the cause for this was the eccentric housings weren't lined up the same.

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 23-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by moth898 View Post
try this, slowly pull the belt and look at the pulley rotate. note that it will click 4 times in a 360 rotation. That is the metal on metal contact between the square shaft and square pulley hole. There has to be a little slack between the two to allow the parts to fit together. Even at the tightest tolerences it can make a little sound. I think the click is caused because of the increased preasure of the new diff belt.

If it really bothers you put a small dab of blue threadlock on the layshaft before installing the pulley it should stop the noise. just be prepared for trouble removing it after.
Thank you Sir. This is actually what I found "4 click per rotation of the pulley". I also find that the noise is more noticeable when pulling the belt towards the rear....
I am not prepared to fight against threadlock in the near future so I will leave it as it is. Thanks again.
Old 23-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes View Post
Had this problem also and spent ages trying to cure it. Found on mine the noise came from the idler gears being loose on the shafts (makes a slight click during slow rotation) just add a thin washer before installing the nut to take out the slack, check you still have some end float. You may find the mesh of the gears feels tight after this just grease them up and they bed in nicely after a few runs
Thank you! The issue removed after adding a 0.2mm washer before the lock nut!