Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 15-01-2007
Banned

So, after reading all the threads on this site and other sites, and reading the BRCA web site. I can draw some conclusions...

1. Many people and very happy about the level of performance of Trakpower LiPo batteries give.
2. These batteries are not going to be made legal for BRCA sanctioned events.
3. These batteries are used wide spread at club level, and at the BIWS at Don Valley Stadium
4. Common sense states that if you buy a cheap product from ebay then it’s build quality is not as good as a Trakpower/Orion battery. So don’t.
5. No one has ever experienced any problems with Trakpower batteries. There have been problems with LiPo batteries in Laptops & Helicopters but there is evidence that NiMh has issues too.
6. Obviously, you need to use a LiPo charger to charge these batteries. Don’t use a NiCad/NiMh only charger.
7. To be truly safe, allow the battery to cool to room temperature before charging it again. However, no problems have yet to be experienced.

From this list I would say that at club level Trakpower & Orion LiPo are just as safe as NiMh. By all means reply with evidence to contradict.

I look forward to reading Jimmy’s review of his Trakpower Lipo.

Last edited by vader; 15-01-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: I can't read
Old 15-01-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
Thats it, it is far easier and cheaper to buy bad LiPo (for racing) than it is to buy a good one for racing, hence the need for rules and regs, once thay are in, great. Also, until there has been enough of an overlap, built in voltage cut-outs, so stop people running them low.
most up to date speedo's now have this feature, inc the new tekin, which advetizes the fact its lipo compatable!!
Old 15-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
So, after reading all the threads on this site and other sites, and reading the BRCA web site. I can draw some conclusions...

1. Many people and very happy about the level of performance of Trakpower LiPo batteries give.
2. These batteries are not going to be made legal for BRCA sanctioned events.
3. These batteries are used wide spread at club level, and at the BIWS at Don Valley Stadium
4. Common sense states that if you buy a cheap product from ebay then it’s build quality is not as good as a Trakpower/Orion battery. So don’t.
5. No one has ever experienced any problems with Trakpower batteries. There have been problems with LiPo batteries in Laptops & Helicopters but there is evidence that NiMh has issues too.
6. Obviously, you need to use a LiPo charger to charge these batteries. Don’t use a NiCad/NiMh only charger.
7. To be truly safe, allow the battery to cool to room temperature before charging it again. However, no problems have yet to be experienced.

From this list I would say that at club level Trakpower & Orion LiPo are just as safe as NiMh. By all means reply with evidence to contradict.

I look forward to reading Jimmy’s review of his Trakpower Lipo.
agree with em all,
if jimmy pm's me or sees me at york regional ill lend him some new track power bits i have one just waiting on the other
Old 15-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Vader,

In my opinion you should also conclude they are the 'wrong' voltage, so in certain classes that extra 0.2V will make a whole world of difference!

Dan

Nortech is ACE!
Old 15-01-2007
Banned

at Club level Dan!!!????

Last edited by vader; 15-01-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Old 15-01-2007
Administrator

Are NiMh wrong voltage also though dan ? Certainly, I am sure your cells have more volts than mine.. Which already makes a massive difference, like you say, to controlled classes

I have no idea on this, but I do read various websites claiming their cells are 1.2v+ - meaning OVER 1.2v and by your own words, illegal.

I can't go racing a 19turn touring car and be competitive with my old cells - but I can go and be competitive with one single lipo!
Old 15-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Are NiMh wrong voltage also though dan ? Certainly, I am sure your cells have more volts than mine.. Which already makes a massive difference, like you say, to controlled classes

I have no idea on this, but I do read various websites claiming their cells are 1.2v+ - meaning OVER 1.2v and by your own words, illegal.

I can't go racing a 19turn touring car and be competitive with my old cells - but I can go and be competitive with one single lipo!
well said that man very true
Old 15-01-2007
Banned

heh heh! my IB4200 worlds edition cells, say 1.2v on the heatshink, but are rated at over 1.3v each on the 'top trumps' stickers. Just don't tell anyone!!
Old 15-01-2007

Sub C cells, at a rest, will read 1.2v per cell, if charged normaly. Byt eh way we charge them, it increases the voltage threshold on charge, but that soon drops after charge. LiPo are rated at 7.4V nominal and generaly hold a higher average voltage over NiMH cells, they do give an advantage, as slim as it may be.

Jim, I can be competitive with 3700 cells in 19t, you just got to have the right motor, the voltage helps, but then you are fighting heat build up.
Old 15-01-2007
Banned

oh! I give up......
Old 15-01-2007

you got to come to the conclusion, as it stands, Sub-C and LiPo are incompatible under the same race conditions, as one gives far greater bennefit over the other. It isn't like Modified and Brushless, where they are both as fast as each other, and both have drawbacks, but capable of running together, the battery situation isn't the same, no matter how hard you try to bash them into the same hole.

If the BRCA go LiPo, then I would like to see extended finals, to make use of the cell properly, not 5 mins.

I don't think, anybody on here is 'fundamentaly' against LiPo, but, are waiting for the BRCA to step up to the plate, work out a set of rules within the electric board, with the help of the manufacturers. Once that is done, people will buy them, as they can use them for racing other than club.

Like has been said though, there is such a great variation in cell types, current rating, build quality, etc, that this needs to be overcome before you can justifyable allow them legitimately to race in a BRCA sanctioned meeting, and those clubs allowing them on club meets, I do hope they are monitoring the situation, and ensure nobody ends up using Heli or Flight packs.
Old 15-01-2007
Administrator

tee hee, 'points out that DCM said there was a slim advantage - then said there was a "far greater advantage".
Old 15-01-2007

if you run to weight, there is a 'slim' advantage, if you don't run to weight, there is a 'far greater advantge', hope thats clear....

note to self - don't trust Jimmy snake in the grass
Old 15-01-2007
Banned

Luke has just told me that It was an over charged LiPo he fired down the shaft which blew up my Deathstar!!!

This is Vader logging out forever.

Bye Bye
Old 15-01-2007

Vader had to go...

He was created as a Joke but he's had his time now.

I hope no-one is too upset..
Old 15-01-2007
Administrator

lol, nutter!

nowt wrong with a bit of debate though as long as its all reasonably sensible, which I think it was.
Old 15-01-2007

nah, not upset, I think there was some sensible comments and statements, even some from me....
Old 15-01-2007

Compared to some of the other threads that I have read on different forums this has been very tame. Well done all.
Old 16-01-2007
#1 ZX5 fan

Jim, I don't think the 0.0whatever difference between the top matched and normal matched cells makes as much difference as 0.2V. This was highlighted to me when at the first vintage meeting your car was leagues faster than any of ours.

Our cars looked like they were running sealed can stocks, yours could have passed for a mild modified (I know the weight will have made some difference here).

Our rules state the cells must be a nominal 7.2V (currently), lipo is 7.4V. The differences makes the two classes difficult to run together in any of the limited motor classes (stocks & 19t) in my opinion. I know nothing about the technology, is there no way they can be made to 7.2V nominal? You're right at club level this shouldn't make so much difference.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 16-01-2007

the way the cells is constructed, give it a 3.4V nominal voltage, so for us, you would have two pairs linked in series (to give 7.4V) and those two pairs hooked up in parallel to give you higher capacity. You cou devise a little circuit to cap the voltage, but it would have to have some beefy regulators, to cope with the power demand of an RC Car, especialy at full throttle from rest. People wouldn't use it if it then became a bottle neck for power.