Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 26-10-2014

Default new car

Hi,
looking to race outside on tarmac circuit, how far off the pace will a schumacher mi1 be compared to a new mi5, there seems so much adjustment will i actually get the best out of a mi5 as opposed to a well set up mi1,
or will my driving still not make the most of either car.

Cheers
Old 26-10-2014

Default Old or new?

Well Mick, that is a question lots of us tangle with when faced with the significant cost of a potential upgrade but in lots of cases a well set up and well driven older car is still capable of beating a new rival. If it doesn't you never know if it is the car or the driver, that is the quandary of this very competitive and fast moving sport.
The question really though is what has the new chassis got that the old one hasn't, well in this case quite an evolution in the subtlety of its design aimed at a lowered c of g, robustness, adjustability and I would imagine ultimate driveability as the result. There is also a string of options that can add performance in the right hands, albeit at some additional cost but that is always the case in this world.
I am personally not currently into TC's but if I was I would choose the Mi5evo without a doubt, it is now a superb piece of engineering with all of the latest design and manufacturing thoughts and what's more it is from these shores too, so parts and advice will never be an issue.
I have just built a Cougar KF having been away from 1/10 off-road for quite a few years and I marvel at the engineering and quality now available compared to my original Cat!
Soon I am also building the new SupaStox GT when it arrives, to get back into 1/12 and that hot bed of competition!
I have no association with Schumacher but I have built and raced their offerings, amongst others, ever since they introduced their first lexan chassis 1/12 car along with the first ever ball differential, now that dates me somewhat, the last TC I built was the SST Axis.
The problem now is having just written this has stirred the TC soup again but I will resist!?
Good luck with your decision Mick . Regards John
Old 26-10-2014

I have raced with both the mi1 and the mi5 and now have the mi5 evo.
The mi1 is a good car but a pig to work on.
The mi5 is a very good car to work on. But if you go for the mi5 there is a must do mod, you need to do on the king pins, like change them to m4 bolts. +you need to shorten all the shock shafts by a couple of mill.
The 5 was developed for out door tarmac so would be my choice.
(It go's well on carpet too)
Old 26-10-2014

Cheers all good food for thought. Maybe i need something in the middle. I will see whats on the 2nd hand market

Cheers
mick
Old 27-10-2014

Default mi5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Cheers all good food for thought. Maybe i need something in the middle. I will see whats on the 2nd hand market

Cheers
mick
Mick you got pm