Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 31-05-2010
Mad Member

Default lrp shark driveshafts rebuildable but cant buy parts???

i have on 2 occasions in the last 5 race meets broken 2 x lrp shark monster driveshafts,

these driveshafts have both broken where the thread holds the wheel on...
my question is why if you can dismantle these driveshafts cant you buy just the part from the ball joint to the threaded shaft that holds the wheel on....??

i have posted this question in the lrp forums twice but have never recieved a reply...

does anyone know if anyone from lrp ever look at their own forum or do they just not care??

i would only like to get hold of the part from the ball joint to the threaded shaft as the bit from the ball joint to the outdrives doesnt need replacing...

does anyone else agree that if the shafts are strippable then you should be able to just purchase the parts you need instead of having to buy parts that you do not need to buy....

they sell the ball diffs which are strippable and you can buy any part for those, eg: tension screw, thrust plates, main diff gear, ball bearings.......so why are the shafts not available as parts also???

thanks for taking time to look at this post and reply if you agree with me, please reply and if you have any contact details for lrp as that would be great also..
Old 31-05-2010

sounds like you need a cvd rebuild kit, or whatever lrp calls it. Not sure if there is one you can buy seperately, and anytime I've broke one, I've had to replace the whole thing. Check your manual for a part number to see if it is order-able separetely.
Old 31-05-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Or...you could rebuild the axle quite easily.

Dismantle the hub/axle from the CV joint and driveshaft.
Cut off any remaining threads from the original axle, so it is flush with the flat end of the axle.

Drill out to 2.5mm a hole where the thread used to be, all the way through the axle.
Tap out to M3 using a M3 tap and wrench.
Insert an extended grub screw into the tapped hole (about 8-10mm should do), and replace the small M2.5 nuts and washers with some nice beefy M3 nuts and washers off 10th.

No more problems!
Old 08-06-2010
Mad Member

Default thanks

i'll give that a go i think with my shark cvd's and my blaze cvd's as i'm having no luck with lrp getting back to me, thanks a lot for the advice
Old 09-06-2010

Default Shafted

Unfortunately the driveshafts on Sharks can break as you say. The repair tip mentioned above does work, I've seen it done a few times. The other alternative is to look at rcmodelimports website. They sell Razor RC driveshafts to fit the Shark and they're about half the price!
Good luck.
Old 15-06-2010

Send a message via MSN to Losi..Sam

or you could buy some of these which are a tenner cheaper
http://www.rcmodelimports.co.uk/com/...oducts_id=2682
and take off the ends and put them on the shark shafts
Old 23-06-2010
Mad Member

Default above post

i asked cain at rcmodelimports about 4 weeks ago whether these ends would fit as i had already thought of that, this is the reply with my question below it...

they will be to small for what you are wanting to do.

cain

On 30 May 2010, at 23:58, jed wrote:

>
> hi cain,
>
> by the looks of these blaze tc driveshafts they are smaller than the blaze st ones
>
> http://www.rcmodelimports.co.uk/com/...oducts_id=2682
>
> but could you let me know if the bit from the universal shaft to the threaded shaft the wheel goes onto is the same size as the ones on the st,
>
> asking as i have BLACK lrp driveshafts on my lrp shark at the moment and was thinking of getting some of these so i could strip them down and just use the bit from the uv joint to the thread on my original shark ones, as these are black too and cheaper than the lrp equivilent and when the shaft breaks its normaly only the threaded bit needed, the rest of shaft is normaly ok from the uv joint to the outdrives..................
>
> i hope you understand what i'm saying, lol
>
> this is the bit i mean..... http://www.lrp.cc/forum/download/file.php?id=26
Old 24-06-2010

How many cvd ends do you want ? I have a couple spare ....
Old 27-06-2010
Mad Member

it was uncanily 2,

but it doesnt matter you keep them as you will probably need them one day as spares and i'll try the m3 tap route