Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround > Healthy Stuff

Old 14-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Just a little extra encouragement for parents - my mother smoked in my childhood, and I was diagnosed asthmatic when I was 5 (still have it). Coincidence? Maybe, but I don't think so.

For those struggling to quit, you might want to look at the electronic cigarette solution - it gives you your nicotine fix (which you can gradually diminish), you don't have to smoke the whole thing in one go (battery powered) and it 'gives you something to hold'.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 14-09-2011
Mad Member

I started smoking 15 years ago and have basically been on 25-50 cigs a day since then.

Never really wanted to stop and actually really liked smoking. The whole routine behind it and the paraphenalia associated with smoking was nice. First thing I did in the morning and last thing I did at night were have a cigarette.

That was then.

My girlfriend and I started taking champix because she wanted to stop and I thought it wouldn't work anyway. The great thing about it was that I was able to continue smoking while taking the tablets.
A week later I was glad to stop and really looking forward to smoking my last cigarette. The way champix worked meant I wasn't getting what I was expecting from the fags and smoking a steady 30 odd a day to try and compensate as you didn't get what you wanted from the cigs anymore.

That was six weeks ago.

Six weeks down the line I look back on 15 years of smoking and think - why? I can walk further, have a better sense of smell and taste, can sit still for more than 2 hours without getting fidgety or irritable, have more cash, etc.
One of the major things I dread to think about is how bad smokers smell. I have several colleagues at work who I always used to go have a cigarette with and they smell like ass to me now. To think I smelled the same really makes me shiver. They really smell shit.

The champix did not get on very well with me either and 5 weeks of stomach cramps and other side effects I have quit and like it that way.
One thing that did help with the fidgeting were the plastic cigs called crafe-away i think. No nicotine in them, just the shape and size of a cigarette and you can take a drag on them too if you like.

At the end of the day one thing is left to be said:

Stop Smoking -
It makes you smell like ass!