Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 09-03-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim
Question oOple 2012 race - advice for overseas please.

Hi all,

I'm stoked to say that Im coming to the oOple 2012 race, but I'll be honest - Ive never done anything like this before.

Im from Northern Ireland, only been racing a year, and furthest away Ive ever raced is Dublin (2 hours in the car).
So Im a bit nervous and unsure about the best way to travel over to the race, getting to and from the track each day with gear, what gear to bring, is it better to fly or get the ferry and hire a car, etc, etc.

Maybe some of the more experienced guys, (even better if you are from overseas too), could give me a bit of their guidance and advice.

I'd really appreciate it.
...and sorry for being a complete noob
Old 09-03-2012
oOple Advertiser

well I'm not from overseas obviously, but I used to travel with work a lot to northern Ireland and I always prefered to drive, even though it is a damn long way from the port to the venue. you would have the choice of the ferry to either Stranrar (chuffing long way!) or do Dublin to Holy Head (bit further on your side, but an easier journey once over here)

If you do that you can bring whatever you want, whereas on a plane they can be arsey about lipos and stuff.

Just my opinion but that's what I'd do :-)

--SMD--INSIDE LINE MODELS--PR RACING UK--

My feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79696
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Hi all,

I'm stoked to say that Im coming to the oOple 2012 race, but I'll be honest - Ive never done anything like this before.

Im from Northern Ireland, only been racing a year, and furthest away Ive ever raced is Dublin (2 hours in the car).
So Im a bit nervous and unsure about the best way to travel over to the race, getting to and from the track each day with gear, what gear to bring, is it better to fly or get the ferry and hire a car, etc, etc.

Maybe some of the more experienced guys, (even better if you are from overseas too), could give me a bit of their guidance and advice.

I'd really appreciate it.
...and sorry for being a complete noob
Hi fella,
Im not racing sadly this year. But i work in Belfast on a regualar basis.
As much hassle as it is, I would drive and get a ferry to Liverpool and then drive to the track. This takes the hassle out with taking all your kit and batteries onto a plane which can be difficult. Least if its cold you have a heater in the car track side.
Safe journey and good luck.

Oli
Old 09-03-2012
oOple Advertiser

Hey,

I'm from Dublin!

So any international events require travel over water!!

Favourite method is to drive / ferry. It's much easier for packing etc. Can bring what you want how you want.

When it's a requirement to fly. I'd always try to ship the race gear by courier.
With tracking number you can know where in the world it is.

Also over weight luggage on a flight works out to be very expensive.

Took equipment on the place as hold luggage too many time to arrive at destination to find a bag missing or delayed.

MiCk B. :-)

http://www.p-dubracing.co.uk
(Stocking: 8Racing / AVID / GHEA / Xpert Racing / Factory R/C / Alton Design Innovations)

http://www.msdmodels.ie/
(Trackside and on-line RC supplies.)

Old 09-03-2012
Mad Member

I'm going from Dublin.

Thursday evening Ferry to Holyhead and sprint over the pennines for practice on Friday morning.

Don't think we have any space left (4 men in 1 vehicle is enough ), but we could go in convoy...... are you going alone? Surely Andy Smith would go?

I'll be in Fivemiltown tomorrow if your about
Old 09-03-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

If any over seas guys want to ship stuff I'm or James would I'm sure receive Them take them to the track and let courier pick them up to go back to you, just a thought
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
If any over seas guys want to ship stuff I'm or James would I'm sure receive Them take them to the track and let courier pick them up to go back to you, just a thought
Mark, that is incredibly generous - thanks so much mate.
I love the love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
I'm going from Dublin.
Hey Will, (AND MICK!!) great to hear you guys are going too. Im assuming one of the others is Derek, not sure who the other would be.... Colin or Ian?
Anyways, great stuff.

Thanks for the offer of convoy, will see what way Im going to travel.

Andy Smith and the rest of the ones that I know arent going I think - the BRCA Regionals are on the same weekend!

With only having the one car which my Mrs needs, if going by car I have the extra expense of hiring one to travel in - which sucks. Makes it very expensive; but as the guys are saying here, its maybe the best way.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Mark, that is incredibly generous - thanks so much mate.
I love the love!

Hey Will, (AND MICK!!) great to hear you guys are going too. Im assuming one of the others is Derek, not sure who the other would be.... Colin or Ian?
Anyways, great stuff.

Thanks for the offer of convoy, will see what way Im going to travel.

Andy Smith and the rest of the ones that I know arent going I think - the BRCA Regionals are on the same weekend!

With only having the one car which my Mrs needs, if going by car I have the extra expense of hiring one to travel in - which sucks. Makes it very expensive; but as the guys are saying here, its maybe the best way.
Hi Mate

I am still waiting to see if i am lucky enough to get a place at Oople invertational. If i am lucky enough. It maybe possible for me to pick you up.... I live about half an hour from Liverpool so maybe a train from liverpool to a destination nearer manchester... Pick you up and away we go.

If i get a invite i will be going with the misses and hopefully in a borrowed campervan. You will just have to sort out your own accomodation

Early days etc but i am sure something would be able to get sorted by the kind Rc crew

Centro C4 - AE B44.1 FT
Sanwa Exzes - LRP SXX TC Version 1 - Orca 6.5t - Tekin 9.5t
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wupding View Post
If i get a invite i will be going with the misses and hopefully in a borrowed campervan. You will just have to sort out your own accomodation
Damn, so in between you and the Mrs isnt an option then?

Seriously though, thanks for the offer mate.
I jsut looked at hiring a motorhome for 4 days for the event - £700
LOL. not a chance.
Old 09-03-2012

Quote:
Damn, so in between you and the Mrs isnt an option then?
I'm game .... Don't know about the misses though ha ha ha... Only joking

Like i said early days, if i get a invite you maybe the meat inbetween the sandwich

Centro C4 - AE B44.1 FT
Sanwa Exzes - LRP SXX TC Version 1 - Orca 6.5t - Tekin 9.5t

Last edited by Col; 10-03-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-03-2012

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy555 View Post
I'm going from Dublin.

Thursday evening Ferry to Holyhead and sprint over the pennines for practice on Friday morning.

Don't think we have any space left (4 men in 1 vehicle is enough ), but we could go in convoy...... are you going alone? Surely Andy Smith would go?

I'll be in Fivemiltown tomorrow if your about
Moley2k and I went with the Dublin crew the first year, and I must have been one of the last people to get home from the entire event....the drive to Dublin, leaving the car there, getting the camper on to the ferry, sail, drive (as passenger)....and then the reverse a few days later was, as it turned out, a long and exhausting trip. Not to say it didn't have it moments - I still don't believe the accounts told of me falling out of the camper van, having consumed almost a whole bottle of vodka...

What I had planned to do last year was to travel light and fly (any extra gear can be given to the Dubliners, as they've kindly offered), get a (shared) room at the Blyth Travelodge, and get a lift with the others staying there each day (1a *). Alas, I ran out of funds and was forced to bail out.

Next time I go, it won't be half-assed (or no-assed as I was that first Oople - Team Shambles would have needed a new category for me) - I may even overcome my loathing of camping and stay at the track (3c *). Require money for this approach, however.

Travel options are:

1. Fly - fast and relatively inexpensive, but seriously restricts how much gear you take.
2. Ferry (no car) - more gear capacity and inexpensive, reliant on transport arrangements at the other end.
3. Ferry (with car) - lots more gear capacity, but more expense in transporting the car on the ferry and fuel costs. It's probably how I'd like to do it next time. Really helps if you go with one or two others to share costs. No chance of getting 4 people with all their gear in a normal car though!
4. Ferry/camper - all the advantages of 3., plus sorts you for accommodation and you can take your family. Expensive, unless you ditch the family and get 3 or 4 other racers to go with you. Fuel costs are, iirc, high. Might have had something to do with Ian's lead foot :P

Accommodation options:

a. Blyth Travelodge or similar. Cheap, but you'll need transport to the track each day. Maybe hire a car with a few others?
b. Camper van. See 4. above.
c. Camp (the activity, not the style of behaviour). Kumbaya indeed. Not quite as cheap as it sounds unless you have the gear, but most compatible with flying or if you catch a lift, and might work as a family thing too. Potential for rain induced misery.

*Note the letter and number codes? Yup, it's a 2d array.

P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wupding View Post
Like i said early days, if i get a invite you maybe the meat inbetween the sandwich
Ten years ago, I'd have thought that was an indecent proposal. Now, it would just make me peckish.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...