Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMS View Post
Hi Lee, please drive more with the 502x
It seems to have been forgotten??

Keep up the good work, everyone is rooting for ya!
I will get back to it... i have just been working hard on preparing for the worlds and i dont want to confusion of 2 cars at the moment. For now the 511 is my chosen ride until we can dial in the 502x (after the worlds we will aim to do this)
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
Think he's gone away again !
Back again
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
Are you going to win the worlds?
Im going to be trying 110%. Fingers crossed for me!
Old 07-07-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

I don't even run a Tamiya, but to Mr Martin for putting himself forward to help on here. Good example to other sponsored drivers !
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy12300 View Post
Are there any plans to release updated versions of the 801X and XT?

It seems you have done a fair bit of modifying these to help you in America. I have tried the +4mm wheelbase and I found it to make the car completely different, so looking forward to see what else you do.

Cheers
Scott

Aha, an 8th question
Basically we have been doing more modifying! We will continue to modify and intensively do so over the winter months. i hope that with some strong results we can release a new car that is a race winner straight out of the box!!! both buggy and truggy!
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillydriver View Post
Hi Lee,
this is very kind of you.
I have 2 qeuestions for you:

1) Some set up guide line for TRF201 on dirt hard packed low traction tracks.

2) Next year i'd like to go nitro and since i'm "Tamiya only" i'll go for a TRF801x. Any chance that we will see them easily available also here in Europe? Can you give me some advice on were to find car and parts(Europe/UK)?

Some time ago you posted a topic about you as a future TRF distributor for UK and Eu, am i wrong? If not there is any update about this?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Bye
WWD
201;

Try running the weight i advised above. also some things i have been going well with lately are:
Cutting rear arms 2mm and shortening wheelbase.
running plastic rear hubs in middle hole.
running inside hole on rear tower.
using backward ackerman position
using 25 degree caster blocks
79 spur with 24 tooth pinion

run yellow springs all round and 35 front 30 rear.
1.3 piston rear and 1.4 front.

i hope this helps.

8th - Unsure the best place to buy? maybe just direct from USA? unfortunately i cannot sell anything in europe.

Lee
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifta View Post
You've already taken the UK national series with 4 straight wins with the 511 so for the sake of all the people who bought the 502 it would be nice to see you run it for the 2 remaining meetings.. I think it would help us all out with set ups etc.. Thanks
Not for Ozwastry, as the worlds is next week i dont want to upset my 511.
but for southport...who knows
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
I don't even run a Tamiya, but to Mr Martin for putting himself forward to help on here. Good example to other sponsored drivers !
Thanks

Its just nice to be able to try to help people as much as possible... were not as big, bad and ugly as we may seem

maybe you should run Tamiya
Old 07-07-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
Thanks

Its just nice to be able to try to help people as much as possible... were not as big, bad and ugly as we may seem

maybe you should run Tamiya
Thank you for your kind offer of sponsorship, I accept
Old 07-07-2011
LeeOtard

haha!
if only it was that easy
Old 07-07-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
im going to start with 19/91 standard ESC settings.

Thanks Lee, im on 19/89 already so i`ll give it a whirl See you tomorrow.

See My Feedback

Old 07-07-2011

Quote:
Not for Ozwastry, as the worlds is next week i dont want to upset my 511.
but for southport...who knows
Sweet

Good luck at The Worlds
KF
SV2
SVR
www.racing-cars.com
Old 07-07-2011
Spends too long on oOple ...

Just want to say good luck Lee at the worlds
Old 08-07-2011

Lee,

First of all. Thanks for offering to help us with our setups and general questions.. I don't know of any other sponsored racers who do this on open forums.. Your help is very appreciated.

I've been racing Tamiya for several years now. I currently run a 501X and my friend runs a 511X. We have been having trouble with the front arms breaking too often. It mostly happens on off-road tracks with extreme jumps, but has also happened on smoother indoor clay tracks..

I tried to work around the problem by using stiffer springs in the front and slightly heavier oil.. It helped a little, but I know this is not the best way to go..

What do you do to help your car survive extreme jumps without damaging the front arms?

To note: I have tried DB-01 arms, stock 501X arms, and the more recent lower profile racing arms. The lower profile arms break the easiest. Unfortunately the thicker DB-01 and 501X arms still break too - but they sure do take more of a beating before they do..

Thanks.
Old 08-07-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Im going to be trying 110%. Fingers crossed for me!
Good luck mate - I'll be there to capture the moment
Old 08-07-2011

Quote:
Weights, recently i have been putting weights in and around the rear gear box, this has helps to increase rear traction quite a lot.
normally i use weights to stop the car grip rolling, settle it through bumps or to stop wheeling..... on dirt i normally run a light car with the weight (apprx 30g) under the rear U plate and in front of gear box, and also a small amount up front. (20-30) to stop wheeling.

Lee
Thanks for the tips Lee. I'll be squeezing some time soon to try your suggestions out at the local track.

I noticed that in some of your setups you run a heavier car (70g under servo + weight under the battery), is that a suggested starting point for higher grip surfaces?

Where I run the 201s seem to struggle with:

1) rear grip esp out of corners to line up for the big jumps. I think adding the weight you suggested should help.

2) nose-lifting off the big jumps - in such cases even braking hard doesn't seem to do much to correct the car. I'm just worried if the rear weight will make this problem worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help - and good luck for the Worlds!
Old 08-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimblum View Post
Lee,

First of all. Thanks for offering to help us with our setups and general questions.. I don't know of any other sponsored racers who do this on open forums.. Your help is very appreciated.

I've been racing Tamiya for several years now. I currently run a 501X and my friend runs a 511X. We have been having trouble with the front arms breaking too often. It mostly happens on off-road tracks with extreme jumps, but has also happened on smoother indoor clay tracks..

I tried to work around the problem by using stiffer springs in the front and slightly heavier oil.. It helped a little, but I know this is not the best way to go..

What do you do to help your car survive extreme jumps without damaging the front arms?

To note: I have tried DB-01 arms, stock 501X arms, and the more recent lower profile racing arms. The lower profile arms break the easiest. Unfortunately the thicker DB-01 and 501X arms still break too - but they sure do take more of a beating before they do..

Thanks.
Hi,

If your breaking the 501X HD arms then im unsure how you could find anything stronger... maybe after each run just check for cracks in the arms, as they could be cracking without you realizing then breaking on the next run.

apart from this, there is not much you can do? continue to run the 501X HD arms and try not to get the big jump wrong and land on one side of the car, try to land flat and level.

lee
Old 08-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodClod View Post
Thanks for the tips Lee. I'll be squeezing some time soon to try your suggestions out at the local track.

I noticed that in some of your setups you run a heavier car (70g under servo + weight under the battery), is that a suggested starting point for higher grip surfaces?

Where I run the 201s seem to struggle with:

1) rear grip esp out of corners to line up for the big jumps. I think adding the weight you suggested should help.

2) nose-lifting off the big jumps - in such cases even braking hard doesn't seem to do much to correct the car. I'm just worried if the rear weight will make this problem worse. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help - and good luck for the Worlds!
Which tires do you run?
the shorter wheel base and weight will help the rear.
weight up front will help jumping.

maybe also try a front wing?

Lee
Old 08-07-2011
LeeOtard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Good luck mate - I'll be there to capture the moment
Old 08-07-2011

Your Kampenhout TRF201 set up would be most appreciated!

Car looked dialed

LRP Flow, Orion R10, Orion VST2, Speed Passion, Speed Power, B-Fast, Much More CTX, LRP X 20,