Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 05-11-2012

Default team losi 22 setup help

I have got myself a losi 22, iv been in tc for about 8 years now and wanted a new challenge with off road. Now im running at maritime's indoor track and was just after some help with setup and vasically were to start so i can begin to fine tune for my own driving style.
Cheers Billy
Old 05-11-2012

Hi Billy

See the attached sheet for a starting point at Maritime Raceway, this set up can be achieved with whats in the box and the addition of a pair of green front Springs (as I feel the ones that come with the kit are too soft). I have also attached my set up from round 1 so you can see the things that are different from whats in the box (4mm trailing front axles, 3 deg caster etc...).

If you get in to Off Road Wars this weekend come see me

Here is a good source of info on the 22 that Andy Carter wrote a few year back but is worth a read if you're new to the car/class.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65680

HTH

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mid Motor Kit Starting Set Up.jpg (375.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg CD ORW RD1 Set up.jpg (385.0 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-11-2012

Thanks chris! Appreciate the help massivly. Dont know if its because im on my mobile but i cant see the attatchments :-(

Ill do my best to get into off road wars. May be to late now i have got other championship commitments this weekend. Will you be at round 3?
Old 05-11-2012

No problems mate, I had problems attaching the set ups but have now resolved them Hopefully you can see them.

Yeah I will be at round 3, so if you dont make it this weekend come say hi and have a chat then.
Old 05-11-2012

As i pressed post both attachments appeared. Thank you for.them mate and ill only be racing for the morning so i may pop to the meet to see a few friends. So if ill do ill introduce myself.

Will these setups be ok for a fairly aggressive driver lol
Old 05-11-2012

My set up I feel I can push hard, but as for the other set up im not sure as I've never driven it (but have written down a set up I feel will work well out of the box). If you feel like you are above average on the aggression scale maybe look to get the Blue and Black front spring for a quick change trackside.
Old 05-11-2012

Fair enough, i may jump to your set up, if you feel you can push hard with that. Im still dialling out bad touring car habbits at the moment. Ill have to have a little order up soon with some parts and get down maritime next week.
Cheers for the info Chris
Old 05-11-2012

What effect dud reducing caster do i c you run 3 and darren uses 0 with the new 4mm

I only have 5 at min drcidin which to get
Old 05-11-2012

As a rule, reducing caster will reduce the wheel loading during the latter part of a turn - i.e. it will release the turn earlier.

It will also sharpen the initial response to any steering input.

@Billy - Appreciate that your TC habits may take a while to soften but you will find that the 22 will reward a smoother driving style - mashing the throttle hard may feel quick but rarely is.
The key (that I have found anyway) with the 22 is to drive with a smooth style that maintains high corner speeds.

If you treat the throttle like a binary switch, it will bite you but the set up that Chris Delves has worked on has provided him with a wider window in which he can safely attack.

The 22 is highly reactive to small changes - and it will feedback to you what each change does - so take your time to figure out what suits your style.

And if you're down at Maritime - come and find us and feel free to ask for any advice / hints / tips that you want. Remember though - what works for one may not always work for others but advice is freely given and you're welcome to use it if you see fit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :-)
Old 06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
As a rule, reducing caster will reduce the wheel loading during the latter part of a turn - i.e. it will release the turn earlier.

It will also sharpen the initial response to any steering input.

@Billy - Appreciate that your TC habits may take a while to soften but you will find that the 22 will reward a smoother driving style - mashing the throttle hard may feel quick but rarely is.
The key (that I have found anyway) with the 22 is to drive with a smooth style that maintains high corner speeds.

If you treat the throttle like a binary switch, it will bite you but the set up that Chris Delves has worked on has provided him with a wider window in which he can safely attack.

The 22 is highly reactive to small changes - and it will feedback to you what each change does - so take your time to figure out what suits your style.

And if you're down at Maritime - come and find us and feel free to ask for any advice / hints / tips that you want. Remember though - what works for one may not always work for others but advice is freely given and you're welcome to use it if you see fit.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :-)
Thank you very much for that post mate. Iv smoothed my driving style out a lot in TC which i bought over to my first attempt at 2wd last tuesday at maritime with a kyosho DB1. I was getting better and better as the night went on so in due time. Im sure ill be ok.

Iv always gone with exactly as you have said there, not everyones setup suits others. My Type R has my very own set up on it which works very well and gives the brand new xrays a bloody good run. i really just needed a set up to start me off. One that i could then work on to make my own. Im gonna start with the set Chris made up for me from the kit setup with just adding green front springs. Then ill work from there.

ill make sure i come say hello at the next meet for sure. Cheers for all the help
Old 11-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delves View Post
Hi Billy

See the attached sheet for a starting point at Maritime Raceway, this set up can be achieved with whats in the box and the addition of a pair of green front Springs (as I feel the ones that come with the kit are too soft). I have also attached my set up from round 1 so you can see the things that are different from whats in the box (4mm trailing front axles, 3 deg caster etc...).

If you get in to Off Road Wars this weekend come see me

Here is a good source of info on the 22 that Andy Carter wrote a few year back but is worth a read if you're new to the car/class.

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65680

HTH

Chris
Ran your set up today in worksop series delves !! Was awesome totally sorted my car out

I ran 0 degree to start but 3 changed it for better as final change i did!!

That was on a speartooth chassis but defo put that set up on my standard chassis car too!

Thankyou
Old 12-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG 40 View Post
Ran your set up today in worksop series delves !! Was awesome totally sorted my car out

I ran 0 degree to start but 3 changed it for better as final change i did!!

That was on a speartooth chassis but defo put that set up on my standard chassis car too!

Thankyou
No probs mate, glad it worked for you Something myself and Gnarly have been working on and personally very happy with the balance of the car and very pleased to hear it worked for you (as is always the dilema with set up, what suits one person may not suit another).

If you tweak it any further to suit the worksop surface get the set up on here for others