Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 16-05-2017

Default New Member, where to start?

Hello, ive been looking at getting a 1/10 buggy now for a while but im not sure where to start, i have contacted 2 local clubs but had no reply yet.

Do i start by jumping in and paying loads on a buggy and hoping i stay interested if i can find somewhere to race, or do i get something like the FTX edge brushless/brushed for a while and see how i get on and upgrade later?

Thanks
Old 16-05-2017
Mad Member

Default choices

The best way to start is physically visit your local clubs and see what they are racing then move on from there, you will often find that you may be able to buy good used equipment to get you going.

Where are you based?

Good luck and have fun
Old 16-05-2017

i will visit soon when i find out the times and days cheers

im in the south west, tiverton
Old 16-05-2017

They have a round of their summer series on this Sunday, so best advice is pop along and chat to a few people.

Loads of good used bargains to be had used as well. I've basically started again, bought mostly quality used gear and up and running for around £400 for a competitive 2wd
Old 16-05-2017

I will pop down then hmm thats a bit out of my price range at the moment haha, more like 150 but ive looked and i cant even get a second hand kit for that
Old 16-05-2017

If your budget is that low, then you're at the bottom end of the market. But, shop carefully, you can pick up some bargains. I got my fully spec'd Team C TM2 v2 for £100 on here a few months ago. Might also depend on how patient you are.
Old 17-05-2017
Mad Member

Default used kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantiz View Post
I will pop down then hmm thats a bit out of my price range at the moment haha, more like 150 but ive looked and i cant even get a second hand kit for that
Just a question, are you hoping to get everything for £150 or just a rolling chassis?
I do have 2 schumacher Kf2 rollers in the For Sale section, They are £140 each
Old 17-05-2017

get along to Tiverton this Sunday, its club round and then in 2 weeks is the 2 day regional

we running buggies 2wd and 4wd, both well supported, also a heat of 8 or 9 usually short course trucks

its a great friendly club,

my opinion would be to buy something decent brand but used/old

something like a B5m is perfect at tiverton with its multi surface and changing weather/grip

if you go with something a bit odd then theres spares issues etc trackside, at least with something more mainstream you should be able to borrow on the day or sort out
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 17-05-2017

the tracks at wellington, heazle arena

with 150 quid you could get a short course setup for that kind of money, they often pop up as the youngsters or people decide to upgrade etc, saw an associated one recently with radio, charger and a lipo, for £140 I think it was

if you want to run buggies then 2wd yes you going to struggle, anything worth having be at least £100 ish then radio and esc motor etc

esc and motor used or from hobbyking will be fine
RC10B74 Maclan powered

#rcoctane
#teamrcoctane
Old 17-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
Just a question, are you hoping to get everything for £150 or just a rolling chassis?
I do have 2 schumacher Kf2 rollers in the For Sale section, They are £140 each
150 i could probably just get rollers and get the rest a month after, i just spent about 4k on a motorbike so dont want to spend too much straight away so for rollers is that everything without the radio,motor,servo and speed control? i will need to find prices for all of that somewhere if i can find out what it would need
Old 17-05-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydevon View Post
the tracks at wellington, heazle arena

with 150 quid you could get a short course setup for that kind of money, they often pop up as the youngsters or people decide to upgrade etc, saw an associated one recently with radio, charger and a lipo, for £140 I think it was

if you want to run buggies then 2wd yes you going to struggle, anything worth having be at least £100 ish then radio and esc motor etc

esc and motor used or from hobbyking will be fine
140 seems good for that, so short course is for slower buggys? i will try to get to wellington this sunday
Old 17-05-2017

Is there anything wrong with getting a Tamiya neo fighter? been looking at reviews and they all seem good for a beginners buggy.
Old 17-05-2017

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with getting a Tamiya neo fighter? been looking at reviews and they all seem good for a beginners buggy.
Think you should stay away from them if your wanting to race ! I wouldn't imagine anyone suggesting you do buy one bud.

Get a second hand buggy with a few spares within your budget then get the electrics the month after like you said, save you money in the long run getting something that will last you a season or so and you can get spares for, as in previous post KF2 go for £120 onwards and you will easy get spares for one and they are competitive.
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 17-05-2017

ok will keep away from that then , i will go have a read of the KF2, im just unsure about the rest of the parts that i will need at the mo.
Old 17-05-2017
Mad Member

Default complete kit

The Kf2's that I have for sale can be made into a ready to run complete with electrics if you want to, I have orion or muchmore ESC's, Viper RC Concept & Orca motors, savox servos, various lipo chargers. I do have Sanwa M12 steering wheel transmitters for sale but they are high end and a bit pricey. The only thing I don't have is lipo's. Most importantly I have transponders too.

I do also have a yokomo yz2 and a team associated b6 for sale but they are again a bit pricey.

Contact details are in the signature
Old 17-05-2017

Quote:
ok will keep away from that then , i will go have a read of the KF2, im just unsure about the rest of the parts that i will need at the mo.
Just a rough guide on what you probably need with some rough prices for second hand gear if you choose to go that way, loads of decent people on oOple who sell stuff.

Car - £120 ish depending on what you get and always better to go your local track and ask what they race

Transmitter & receiver - can of worms on this one but let's say stick and a basic one £50

Servo - £25

Motor - £30

Lipo - £25

Charger £30

Hope that gives you an idea but like I said your local track will have all the answers am sure.
Tamiya Lunchbox
Tamiya Top-Force
TD SCT

https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/
Old 17-05-2017

Cheers, that doesn't seem too bad really, also just remembered that someone i work with used to race rc and he has about 5 cars and loads of flying things (he only flys now) has an old rc10 and loads of other stuff, will speak to him tomorrow and see if he has any parts i can use/have/buy i do like that KF2 se that Zippy G is selling, have to see if its still on here when im ready to buy cheers
Old 17-05-2017

Default Pr rtr 2wd

http://www.insidelinemodels.com/insi...m-black-body-p

Great all rounder ready to run, strong and reliable a beginner has been racing one at stotfold for a while. Good way to start.

Or http://www.insidelinemodels.com/insi...diff-version-p

Brand new race roller, just add electrics and go. I'm sure if you rang kev at inside line models he could help you out.
Old 17-05-2017

Looks good cheers
Old 17-05-2017
Mad Member

Just get the essentials first car electrics transmitter lipo and charger you probably only need 1 or 2 lipos for club racing you can get great quality ones from hobbyking

I bought my Motors Speedos and batteries from hobbking for my lads and second hand stuff for me off here