Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 19-05-2008

Thanks for the reply DCM. Yes I have the Hotwire and the speedo is updated to 180 version and I've tried everything, believe me! As for the capacitor, the Nosram one is almost three times bigger than the Tekin one, so no issue with that. As for the cooling fan, I purchased the speedo because of sensorless design, I thought that there would be no temp issues so there would be no need for a fan, but I was mistaken.

Anyway I'm very frustrated at the moment and I'm in contact with Tekin. A speed control is not a cheap machine to destroy! Let's see what they will say, I have the feeling that they are very good with after sales service. But have you seen anyone using it in their touring cars, because I haven't and there should be a good reason for that!

I'll keep you informed if I have good news, or else, forget about it and never look back. Sorry, but the last thing I wanted when I purchased the speedo was a headache!
Old 19-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

It might not have a heatsink or fan but it still has the same amount of heat to get rid of as other brushless ESC's...
Old 19-05-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Thanks for the reply DCM. Yes I have the Hotwire and the speedo is updated to 180 version and I've tried everything, believe me! As for the capacitor, the Nosram one is almost three times bigger than the Tekin one, so no issue with that. As for the cooling fan, I purchased the speedo because of sensorless design, I thought that there would be no temp issues so there would be no need for a fan, but I was mistaken.

Anyway I'm very frustrated at the moment and I'm in contact with Tekin. A speed control is not a cheap machine to destroy! Let's see what they will say, I have the feeling that they are very good with after sales service. But have you seen anyone using it in their touring cars, because I haven't and there should be a good reason for that!

I'll keep you informed if I have good news, or else, forget about it and never look back. Sorry, but the last thing I wanted when I purchased the speedo was a headache!
Fabien Simoni has been using one, Russ Williams is helping with developement too. Also, something Fabien found, is that some of the brushless motors have a lot of end float on the rotor and that causes issue's of heat, but if it was hot, and your running 3.5t (was it 5 or 6 cell) you still MAY need to run the fan.
Old 19-05-2008

whats so good about the tekin r1 iv never had anything in tekin is it better than lrp
Old 19-05-2008

it is smaller, can be upgraded with firmare, easily adjustable in the car (full set of LED's) and the top end performance is really getting there with each firmware update (which are free if you got the hotwire)
Old 19-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
it still has the same amount of heat to get rid of as other brushless ESC's...
That is not how they advertised the product... without a heatsink! And also why there is nowhere any specific information of which applications and which motors should be used together with a fan in order to prevent damage, this would help Tekin receive less products for servicing and the users to be happy with their products!

Speedo DCM was used with 6 cells
Old 19-05-2008

you need to keep an eye on the forum on www.teamtekin.com as there is some gems of information on there, and don't be afraid of asking.

It doesn't need a heatsink, the solder posts ARE the heatsink, and if you are getting thermal problems, then you NEED to cool it, simple as that, but in off-road, they find that mostly you don't. when you are running, what is the temp indicator showing on the LED's?
Old 19-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM View Post
...when you are running, what is the temp indicator showing on the LED's?
LEDs ALL ON and measured with thermal gun around 88 degrees of celsious on top of the plastic case, but the capacitor was way hotter!

Was just checking on Team Tekin, it looks like some good feedback hopefully as I thought. Let's see...
Old 19-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
it is smaller, can be upgraded with firmare, easily adjustable in the car (full set of LED's) and the top end performance is really getting there with each firmware update (which are free if you got the hotwire)
Vinny, LRP is pretty easy to adjust too (led system etc) but DCM has a point about the size, the Tekin seems pretty small so if your limited on space in the car (an Aero for example ) it can certainly make life easier!

Dave
Old 20-05-2008

Quote:
it is smaller,
can be seen in this ESC footprint overlay I've just done using maufacturers quoted size

looks like I'll be getting one for 12th pan car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esc footprint.JPG (5.8 KB, 17 views)
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 20-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
LEDs ALL ON and measured with thermal gun around 88 degrees of celsious on top of the plastic case, but the capacitor was way hotter!

Was just checking on Team Tekin, it looks like some good feedback hopefully as I thought. Let's see...
you dont take the reading from the top, as that is just the control board and BEC circuitry, all the FET's are on the lower board (R1) and lower 2 boards (R1 Pro). take the temp reading on the solder posts. Also, they have found if you are getting thermalling, running 6 cell and low turn brushless, two caps are needed and possibly a fan, also, have cool air passing over the solder posts, so they effectively remove the heat.

Just to let you guys know, I just took delivery of the RS speedo, exactly the same size as the R1 and the LiPo cells, and lovely they are too!!!
Old 20-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
you dont take the reading from the top, as that is just the control board and BEC circuitry, all the FET's are on the lower board (R1) and lower 2 boards (R1 Pro). take the temp reading on the solder posts. Also, they have found if you are getting thermalling, running 6 cell and low turn brushless, two caps are needed and possibly a fan, also, have cool air passing over the solder posts, so they effectively remove the heat.

Just to let you guys know, I just took delivery of the RS speedo, exactly the same size as the R1 and the LiPo cells, and lovely they are too!!!
I ran the RS last Sunday at the Mid South Regional in Swindon..... worked perfectly without any issue. Very impressed, you won't be dissapointed!
Old 20-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_smaxx View Post
Dont believe everything you read on the peak/orion instructions 'all leading sensored and sensorless speed controllers'...... as far as im aware the mamba max is one of THE leading sensorless speedos and mine didnt work with that, and i tired EVERYTHING.
Well both my Mambas worked fine with the Peaks brushless without a problem. However I would recommend sticking to Mamba for these escs as they work a lot better with those motors.

Personally Tekin would be the best buy. the development they do is second to none and the president appears to have a plan which he has set in motion. All I can say is watch this space as they can only get a lot better.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS