Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 07-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiewallace View Post
Jamie, that's been copied from the durango website.
Old 13-04-2011

Well, im not the expert type when it comes to rebuilding Gear Diffs and this is the first time i had built one (except for the Tamiya/kyosho ones before), been sideline for more than 20 yrs but started to come back, got a B44, dumped it for a 410 coz of the Gear Diffs. after 6 months of having my 410 did not encounter any problems on the Diff (except for changing to Kyosho o-rings). What i did was before i bought my 410, did my homework first and gathered all info/tips needed for the assembly, and true enough, it paid off.

Im happy with my 410 but eagerly waiting for the 210.

Amen.
Old 18-04-2011

Captian, did you by chance put the gearbox build guide that Durango posted a link to to use? Here it is again. http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584 I bought my Rango used from a friend at the track. A couple gears were chewed up and the car sounded like a chain saw. When rebuilding the car found my friend had not taken all the "slack" out of the bevel gear(imput shaft). I have a couple weeks on the car now with no problems. I too think the problem was the bevel gear. Also the set screw for the bevel gear gear needs to be good and tight with the proper amount of loctite. Good luck! Joseph.
Old 18-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShanks View Post
Captian, did you by chance put the gearbox build guide that Durango posted a link to to use? Here it is again. http://www.team-durango.com/blog/?p=2584 I bought my Rango used from a friend at the track. A couple gears were chewed up and the car sounded like a chain saw. When rebuilding the car found my friend had not taken all the "slack" out of the bevel gear(imput shaft). I have a couple weeks on the car now with no problems. I too think the problem was the bevel gear. Also the set screw for the bevel gear gear needs to be good and tight with the proper amount of loctite. Good luck! Joseph.
The last picture of that build guide was the most important for me too. Most people I know take that play away using 2cm of electrical tape at the top and bottom of the bevel bearings. That s probably not a nice solution to put on the blog, but maybe better than overtightening those 2 screws.

Maybe Durango can change their (inner?) mold so it leaves a little more material behind at the top and bottom of the bevel bearings.Then the picture that says
"Tighten the grub screw whilst applying pressure to squeeze the two halves together."
becomes less critical, because sideways pressure on ball bearings cant improve smoothness and bearing life.

For 3 months now I use 2 pieces of electrical tape, and a copper shim at each side: all my gearboxes are very free, and no teeth breaking anymore. (before 1 diff ring every month, no matter what shims and where)

Old 18-04-2011

How did this all work out in the end captain?
Old 19-04-2011
Banned

I'll update this....

diffs are back and in the car and running smoothish so far, hoping to get upto rossmods track tommorrow night. bill from durango was £60.

reasons for the shits failing was a number of reasons that could easily be overlooked.

1. bearings had collapsed. to the naked and untrained eye they seemed fine to me.

2. gearboxes where stripped at the screws as they had been opened and closed all the time (because of 2 rebuilds and shimming) this meant the cases werent closed tight enough causing movement in the meshing. either way i sent them to rango as they were after 4 heats and were in a real bad way.

they noted wear in some of the pins and other bits. for to date my diffs have cost me £150. they were rebuilt by adam skelding so should be fine.

I cant fault the customer service, but have to say durango failed to realise I had to rebuild these twice, the first set lasted 2 meets, meaning something failed to quickly, some of it would have been down to builder error but cant help that something was wrong out the box.

either way its resolved now, i have my version of events and rango completely believe it was user error. after £150 just on diff parts and sending it to be rebuilt by a pro, if this happens again i will send them to rango covered in excrement and the rest will be in the for sale section.

but for now i will continue to support and race with rango products as i freaking love them.....just loath the diffs.
Old 19-04-2011
Mad Member

I think you should invest in some digital calipers for making measurements and not use a tape measure as this will help in the future. I set my bearings to what they state in the manual but found that the shaft moved in and out of the gear box so just took up the excess by moving the output cup closer to the outer bearing making sure that it still had a little float but not too much. I also recommend using a small amount of electrical tape on the top and bottom of each bearing so that the plastic diff cases hold the bearings a lot tighter.

As I found with my Losi 8ight-T when the ring and pinion failed and I just replaced them it went again almost straight away. The only way to fix it properly was new bearings, new ring and pinion and new gearbox plastic. I have been in the game a long time and even I made the mistake of not replacing all items and I did not check the rest of the car and on the next run found that the centre diff was also ruined as it had got too hot and the cross pins had melted the diff case which could only be seen when it was opened up.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 21-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainlip View Post
I'll update this....

diffs are back and in the car and running smoothish so far, hoping to get upto rossmods track tommorrow night. bill from durango was £60.

reasons for the shits failing was a number of reasons that could easily be overlooked.

1. bearings had collapsed. to the naked and untrained eye they seemed fine to me.

2. gearboxes where stripped at the screws as they had been opened and closed all the time (because of 2 rebuilds and shimming) this meant the cases werent closed tight enough causing movement in the meshing. either way i sent them to rango as they were after 4 heats and were in a real bad way.

they noted wear in some of the pins and other bits. for to date my diffs have cost me £150. they were rebuilt by adam skelding so should be fine.

I cant fault the customer service, but have to say durango failed to realise I had to rebuild these twice, the first set lasted 2 meets, meaning something failed to quickly, some of it would have been down to builder error but cant help that something was wrong out the box.

either way its resolved now, i have my version of events and rango completely believe it was user error. after £150 just on diff parts and sending it to be rebuilt by a pro, if this happens again i will send them to rango covered in excrement and the rest will be in the for sale section.

but for now i will continue to support and race with rango products as i freaking love them.....just loath the diffs.

So you built them wrong?

I really want to buy one, but am worried about building the diffs. I'll probably get a friend to help me.
Old 21-04-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

the diffs are as easy as breathing to build properly. This is 1 person who's had problems who's admitted it was user fault to blame.

the dex410 is an awesome car. you won't regret it!
Old 21-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitwizard View Post
So you built them wrong?

I really want to buy one, but am worried about building the diffs. I'll probably get a friend to help me.
The diffs are finicky to build, and the lack of details in the instructions don't help. But if you follow the tips mentioned in this thread, and take your time, you should be ok.
Old 21-04-2011

The diffs are the easiest diffs to build they are standard gear diffs nothing special. If you can't build a simple diff then there's something wrong with you and you should buy yourself a rtr.

2 e-clips and 4 screws?????? What the hell is so difficult about that. I can't believe people are struggling with that.
Old 21-04-2011

Send a message via MSN to steel

Ive got to agree the diffs are easy to build and hassle free my sons been running mine every week since they first come out and had no problems with the diffs at all and he is also a bad throttle junky durango gets 10/10 from me
Also just incase anyone was wondering it was mine till i lent it to him and he loves it that much he wont give me it back lol
Old 21-04-2011
Mad Member

Easy !!!
No problems
If you could do a Childs jigsaw you will be fine