Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Surrey & Hants RCCC

Old 17-10-2013

Post Tyre Info for SHRCCC Astro High Grip Track

This is information for what 2WD tyres to run at SHRCCC, which is a high traction astroturf track:

Dry Rear: Schumacher Mini Spike - Yellow compound or Schumacher Dart - Yellow Compound
Dry Front: Schumacher Cut Staggers Low Profile - Yellow compound

Wet Rear: Ballistic Buggy Mini Spike - Green compound
Wet Front: Schumacher Cut Staggers Low Profile - Silver compound.

Make sure you use the correct tyres for the conditions. I've learnt that to my cost as wet tyres wear out very quickly in the dry and being on a tight budget, this is not healthy to your wallet. So only use your wet tyres once the conditions are slippery enough!

Have a look at other people's cars to see how the low profile cut staggers are mounted, as they look a bit odd at first glance!

Foam inserts
Dry Rear - Medium compound
Dry Front - if running yellow cut staggers, no foams.

Wet Rear - Soft compound if you can find them. If not, Mediums will work fine.
Wet Front - Soft compound if you can find them. If not, Mediums will work fine.

The front wheels I purchase are wider than the tyres, as they no longer sell narrow front wheels for the 2WD's, so I cut off the inner third of plastic, making sure to leave the lip for the tyre to be glued to.

You'll need to glue all your tyres onto your wheels. Use tyre glue specifically designed for this purpose, or Super Glue if you are in a pinch. Tyre glue is a very thin type of Super Glue, available from any R/C shop.

!ADULT HELP DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED FOR REMOVAL OF OLD TYRES!
You may need the use of a sharp knife or Dremel style tool to remove the bits of rubber left on the wheels where the tyre was super glued on. Depending on how old you are, ASK A RESPONSIBLE ADULT TO DO THIS FOR YOU.

Obviously, with the tyres glued onto the wheels, you need to be able to remove them so you can re-use the wheels and inserts. There are numerous ways to remove the tyres when they are fully glued on, from letting them soak in acetone for a couple of days in a sealed glass jar, to steaming them over water for an hour, to boiling them for a few minutes (Use an appropriate container that will not be used to prepare food), to putting them in the oven at 160 degrees for a few minutes (If you're a junior, your mum won't thank you for trying this method... actually, whatever age you are, I doubt anyone in your household will appreciate you using the oven like this!). The other option would be to find a job lot of wheels cheap on somewhere like eBay to save yourself the hassle!

All of this is just advice from my own experience and gleaned from others. If you don't know, ask!

Last edited by GoDaveGo; 13-10-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 17-10-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Great post Dave. I've made it a sticky.
Old 17-10-2013
Mad Member

Default of course thats for 2wd.

not 4wd.............
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =
Old 17-10-2013

Thanks for volunteering to write the post for 4WD tyres, Tartman!
Old 17-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARTMAN View Post
not 4wd.............

Loner!!

You only do it so you can get in an A final
Old 17-10-2013
SHRCCC Legend

On topic please, I will delete!

Darren, maybe you should PM Dave some 4wd advice.

Neil
Old 09-11-2013

Just read your thread again to check I had everything correct and I finally have the tyres I need. I was just reading the bit about cutting the bits of rubber with a sharp knife (you might need an adult ). I though I would be old enough to just cut the rubber off butt no I cut my finger and fainted lol maybe I should use an adult next time !
(That's no going to stop me racing though)
Thanks for all the information
Thanks chris
Old 09-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14 crazychris View Post
Just read your thread again to check I had everything correct and I finally have the tyres I need. I was just reading the bit about cutting the bits of rubber with a sharp knife (you might need an adult ). I though I would be old enough to just cut the rubber off butt no I cut my finger and fainted lol maybe I should use an adult next time !
(That's no going to stop me racing though)
Thanks for all the information
Thanks chris
If you come down to the track you can borrow my cutter. Don't use a knife as you'll cut yourself as you,found out. You,may also find you don't need to cut the outer row off either.
Old 09-11-2013

Thanks I managed to cut the tyre of but there are some large pieces of rubber still left on it, so if I could borrow the cutter that would be great. I should be down tomorrow for some practice.
Thanks chris
Old 09-11-2013
SHRCCC Legend

Craft scissors buddy
Old 09-11-2013

I misread the post, I guess your talking about removing the tyres from the rims, acetone is your friend.
Old 09-11-2013

Ohh ok I bought the car second hand and the guy put glue around the whole tyre so that's why it's hard to get the little bits of rubber off. Ill try again with some scissors. Is it on tomorrow because I haven't seen any post about it ?
Thanks chris
Old 09-11-2013

Exclamation

Chris, if in doubt, ask an adult. I do not want to cause injury with this thread and I am not happy that this thread has led to an injury.

Regarding the acetone, this is definitely an ADULT ONLY option as it is a nasty chemical.

To remove glued on tyres with acetone, cut off the tyre apart from the stuck on bead. Then put the wheels into a sealed container with about 1cm of acetone in the bottom. With the container sealed, the trapped fumes will, after a couple of days, break down the super glue. It should then be easy to remove the rubber from the wheel. We recommend something like a pickle jar, as the lid is nice and wide so you can get the wheels in and out without getting your hand stuck.

With the screw cap lid, no fumes should escape. Again, THIS IS AN ADULT ONLY OPTION, due to the use of toxic chemicals.

If this is an option your parents are happy to try, then please make sure they do this on your behalf and make sure it is carried out in a well ventilated area (Outside) when pouring the acetone and also when re-opening the jar to remove the wheels, as the fumes can cause serious medical damage to you if you do not take great care. DO NOT SMELL THE FUMES AND ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT SAFETY PROTECTION! I have also labelled my jar to state the chemical contained inside to warn anyone who gets curious to leave it alone!

I have a filter mask that I wear and a pair of safety goggles to make sure I don't inhale the fumes or accidentally splash any acetone in my eyes. If this occurs, then you must seek immediate medical assistance. I seriously recommend it is only used by ADULTS. Also; wear rubber gloves when handling.

Acetone is in nail varnish remover, but I use pure acetone. It is readily available from various websites.

CFS

Classicool - EBAY

Classicool website - the cheapest place I've found.

All these places require you order it with courier delivery. This is due to Pure Acetone being a hazardous chemical. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! All of this is just advice, but hopefully covers everything.

I would also recommend when using any sharp tools to wear a pair of safety gloves.

Please be extra careful from now on. I do not want any further injured / fainting young humans or adults on my conscience.

SHARP TOOLS SAFETY TIP:
Always cut away from you. If you are cutting correctly, if the cutting tool slips, it should never go towards ANY part of your body.

You may be better off buying a big bag of old wheels off ebay with no tyres on them so you don't have to bother with all the extra hassle and risk.

There is an open practice from 8am to 12pm tomorrow morning 10/11/2013. There should be adults there who can help you. Please do not be afraid to ask for help.

Last edited by GoDaveGo; 15-06-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2013

Thankyou for responding. I am very responsible with knifes and have never cut my self before. ( I did also faint after) but I'm alright it's only a small cut. I boiled the tyres in boiling water and that seemed to work however it doesn't get all the glue. I may try the acetone with my dad. You reply has really helped me thankyou again . I will be down tomorrow trying my new transponder I got for my birthday and hopefully not coming last for once as I have my new tyres, And my new body shell ( green with flames painted by me )
Thanks chris
Old 09-11-2013

Hi Chris,

Good to see you down the track for some practice. The motor you've got is more than enough for you. Can you dial down the speed on your transmitter? If you need a Hobbywing program box, I have one you can borrow. I'll stick it in race control on Thursday. Anyone else who needs to use it, feel free.

Glad the thread has helped you. Happy racing and don't worry about coming last. Practice your driving and the results will come in no time. (The right tyres definitely help!) The new bodyshell looks ace!

If your dad is happy to help with the acetone technique, I can confirm it works very well. If you're patient enough and can wait a few extra days for the acetone to do it's job, and have a large enough sealed container to fit the whole wheel and tyre in, then you may not even have to cut away any of the tyre from the wheel to remove it, just let the acetone do all the work!

Cheers,
Dave.
Old 15-06-2015

have you go the part numbers for the tyres in the opening post?
Old 15-06-2015

daymo

The opening post needs updating and I'm working on that

The only tyres permitted are all as above apart from Dboots

The Schumacher ones are any minispike i.e. whatever compound you want them in (yellows are: U6558) and ballistic greens are BBT01
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 15-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelk View Post
daymo

The opening post needs updating and I'm working on that

The only tyres permitted are all as above apart from Dboots

The Schumacher ones are any minispike i.e. whatever compound you want them in (yellows are: U6558) and ballistic greens are BBT01
ok cool thanks for that