Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > XRAY

Old 03-08-2015

Any tips for when building a kit.
Old 06-08-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just built my 2015 - few things I noticed.

The metal ball stud things that go into the shock bottoms - all 4 supplied were the same - so they were too big to fit into the front shocks - had to cut the 'collar' off 2 so they fit!

Rear shocks - no matter what I try the springs catch the shock bodies when on the car and the suspension is moved - not ideal - no idea how to resolve this as the springs are simply not wide enough to clear the shock body properly.

Apart from that - very solid indeed - as you'd expect.

Built as shorty.

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 08-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebolt View Post
Any tips for when building a kit.
I have to say it's a great kit, very easy to put together - the best kit I have ever built. The instructions are especially very good, nice great detail. And congrats on your purchase, I love this car, grip roll does not exist with this car - at least I haven't seen it yet!

One thing I would do if I knew beforehand before building the car, is throw the stock turnbuckles and ball cups away and buy better ones. I have just replaced mine with Kyosho turnbuckles and Kyosho ball cups because I have never had any problems with them.

The stock XB4 ball cups pop off very easily. The stock ones seem to pop off randomly even in cases when you don't crash or land badly.

Another thing, although I haven't yet had problems with mine. You might want to replace or at least buy a spare of metal satellite gears for the differentials. A few folks I know has had problems with diffs burning up on the stock plastic (composite) satellite gears. I still run the plastic ones without issue but I don't drive overly aggressively.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08-08-2015

Cheers for advice, hoping to start building tomorrow. Plan on running as shorty, and ready for next weekend .
Old 09-08-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrhart View Post

One thing I would do if I knew beforehand before building the car, is throw the stock turnbuckles and ball cups away and buy better ones. I have just replaced mine with Kyosho turnbuckles and Kyosho ball cups because I have never had any problems with them.

The stock XB4 ball cups pop off very easily. The stock ones seem to pop off randomly even in cases when you don't crash or land badly.

Cheers
Simon
Did they change the ball cups on the '15 car? I've never had a problem with the ones on my '13 spec car.
Old 09-08-2015

There's nothing wrong with the stock ball cups, they're really good. Maybe loosen your servo saver a touch and hit less things!
Old 09-08-2015

Well done to Malin Karlsen coming 2nd in the E final at the euros. Great driving and the car looked amazing in the final. Bent, please post that set up as the car looked absolutely dialled, I wish I'd got that set up on for my final!
Old 09-08-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Did they change the ball cups on the '15 car? I've never had a problem with the ones on my '13 spec car.
Never had one pop off on the 2015, but have when trying to adjust them. They seem a bit tighter on the turnbuckle thread than my 2013. If I built again I would put a bit of oil on the threads. Replacing them is not required though, and never bent or snapped a turnbuckle in 3 years!
Old 09-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
I don't think so. Strange how I am seeing this. Are you running the alloy bell crank John? I am on my car and this could be placing more stress on the ball cups.
Old 09-08-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonrhart View Post
I don't think so. Strange how I am seeing this. Are you running the alloy bell crank John? I am on my car and this could be placing more stress on the ball cups.
Yes mate, mine is fully Exotek'd up on the steering front, alloy bellcranks & alloy Ackerman link, had an alloy servo arm as well so there isn't any give in my steering.
Old 09-08-2015

Last edited by BentKa; 14-04-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 27-11-2015

I'm installing the #361168 Graphite Chassis Brace Upper Deck - Short Pack in my '15 and was wondering why doesn't the kit come with the 361172? The small spacer for the center spur. One 361172 spacer comes in the original kit. But I need a second for the front bulkhead. Or should I reinstall the front upper deck? Or cut and make my own spacer?

thanks
Robert
Old 30-11-2015

Default Ball cups

Hi Guys

Reading through this thread I noticed that the ball cups are mentioned, had a number of XB4 's from 13 to 15;s and always had issues with the turnbuckles and cups popping off. Tried replacing the cups but they still pop off in a crash (I know I shouldn't crash as much !!), so been looking at the kyosho rb6 ball cups, will these fit straight on to the xray turnbuckles ???

I have tried the greasing of the threads when screwing the ball cups on and working them so they are not as tight, but it is ruining race days with them keep popping off. Any other brands that people have used or recommend ?

Cheers

steve
Old 30-11-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayter View Post
Hi Guys

Reading through this thread I noticed that the ball cups are mentioned, had a number of XB4 's from 13 to 15;s and always had issues with the turnbuckles and cups popping off. Tried replacing the cups but they still pop off in a crash (I know I shouldn't crash as much !!), so been looking at the kyosho rb6 ball cups, will these fit straight on to the xray turnbuckles ???

I have tried the greasing of the threads when screwing the ball cups on and working them so they are not as tight, but it is ruining race days with them keep popping off. Any other brands that people have used or recommend ?

Cheers

steve
Hi Steve

I mentioned the ball cups popping off. It's strange, because I found when I first got my '15 I had several occasions when they popped off - never seen this in other kits. But since the first few times racing the buggy I no longer see this problem. Maybe I am a better driver now - XRay kits do make you a better driver because they are so awesome to drive

I did purchase Kyosho ball cups along with turnbuckles but never fitted them. You need the Kyosho turn buckles too as they are a lot thicker than the XRay ones. You also need the studs, the neck is longer or shorter - can't remember which on the Kyosho.

The '16 car has the same turnbuckles and cups.

Cheers
Simon
Old 01-02-2016

What is a good setting for the servo saver? My kit instructions says 2mm. I had mine set at 2.2mm. Most of the pro setups just state "tight" It did not feel like it was set too tight. but in 8 months or racing I've gone through 3 composite servo horns. then switched to aluminium and now my 2nd set of gears in my servo. The 16' version kit setup states 3-4mm initial preload and I've compared all the part numbers and every part is the same as my15'. There is no way to get mine to 3mm, it coil binds at 2.5mm.
The car is amazing otherwise. Running indoors on carpet, wood boards for track barriers. I'm easily 1st/2nd place driver at our local club track(when I dont break) barely crash, just bumping the barriers at the most.I've come 2nd place twice with completely stripped gears(the car is a handful to drive lol) Savox sc1257TG servo. which I've used in all my cars without servo savers with no problems at all. I'm going to switch to a heavier servo and maybe set my saver to 1.9mm? Anyone else have any issues? ideas?
thanks Bob

https://www.facebook.com/corvictoria

http://www.matrixhobbies.com/

TLR22, TLR 22SCT x2, TLR 22-4, TLR 22T
XRay 808, XRay XB4 2015, AYK Buffalo
Old 02-02-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I would defo say get a tougher servo, at least 12kg

Most I think are running the saver tight eg. as hard as possible with a tough full size servo.

We have found that the plastic will catch after a hard landing if it was a stock setting causing the servo saver not to centre properly.

The Alu saver from tresery did help out.

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 03-02-2016

Ok thanks, .Trying that now. Installed my ebuggy servo. 15kg. So far so good.

https://www.facebook.com/corvictoria

http://www.matrixhobbies.com/

TLR22, TLR 22SCT x2, TLR 22-4, TLR 22T
XRay 808, XRay XB4 2015, AYK Buffalo
Old 12-02-2016

Old 15-02-2016