Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 30-07-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to Spoolio
Default Rough Rider 2009

Woohoo, picked mine up today . I know its well anoraky but I've just spent the last hour grinning like an idiot. Not sure what to do with it now - build or box? It's still a lovely lovely thing though. Large thumbs up to Mr Tamiya for having the guts to bring it back (even though I'm sure money talks, this decision must have been partly inspired by emotion) . And a massive thank you from all us poor people who could never have afforded one, both when they were new back in '79 (dad could only spring for a Sand Rover) and recently when prices went a bit crazy.
Old 30-07-2009
Administrator

Nice one mate - how much was that badboy? I was gonna get one to review but I've not really got the cash at the moment and they were sold out when I tried to get one so I'm gonna leave it a couple of months I think.
Old 30-07-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Mine is at the model shop too Gonna leave mine NIB for now in the loft.

See My Feedback

Old 30-07-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Nice one mate - how much was that badboy? I was gonna get one to review but I've not really got the cash at the moment and they were sold out when I tried to get one so I'm gonna leave it a couple of months I think.
Got mine from PBM Racing for a tad under general retail - I'd rather support a UK shop in the current climate rather than angle for a large discount (which ain't that much anyway) so it worked out at £265. Importing wasn't worth it at the moment as Stella wanted £209 plus postage and Customs seem to be clamping down at the moment too, I can't think why, is the government short of dosh or something . I got a hump pack at the same time for £25 (2700mah) but not sure if it'll ever get built to be honest.

I'm told Tamiya have brought in a container full but that's it for the time being, rumour is there are only 30 or so left, dunno if it's true or just sales patter but if it turns out to be an unlimited production run then it probably makes sense to wait, the price is bound to come down especially in the HK market, which could make importing more viable.
Old 30-07-2009
Administrator

I purposely decided not to get one now when I was told to get one as they were selling out FAST....... I don't roll that way and know full well the next wave that comes in will be at a reduced price when the hype has passed. I've seen one shop raise their price three times as their stock quickly disappear! Comedians.
Old 30-07-2009
Mad Member

You're totally right Jimmy, but hell what can I say, I never learn. For example I am the numpty who paid full whack £300 for a PS2 when they came out in oooh 'bout 1999ish and seeing as current PS3s don't do PS2 games, I bought a spare slimline one the other week for £40 from Sainsburys. It does not pay to be the first in the queue.

But still, for some things logic, sense and good reason get chucked out the window totally. This I am afraid is one of those times. I was gonna get 2, one to keep NIB and one to build but I think now I may just wait for the inevitable Sand Scorcher re-re and build one of them instead. In fact it wouldn't bother me if they skipped the Scorcher and jumped straight to the Ranger as TBH I preferred that one anyway back when I was a kid.
Old 31-07-2009

+1 on the Ranger Spoolio - my fav SRB too!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 31-07-2009
Administrator

I've never had a Ranger - I do have a AYK baja bison though, which is a bit like it

http://www.oople.com/rc/manuals/ayk566b/imagepages/supertrail0009.html

I really wanted the buggy version of this, but I've never seen one for sale - if anyone wants to swap for my truck version lets do it!
Old 31-07-2009
Mad Member

Whoa, check out that AYK . And I thought copying designs was a relatively recent thing propagated by the Chinese counterfeiters, how wrong can you be.

The buggy looks the biz, bit like a Grasshopper with attitude.

I think for me the worse thing about the RR is that they've stuck with Buggy Champ for the non-Japanese market and the decals are just "wrong" now so we'll have to get them off a third party supplier to get the "right" look. Tiz still awesome though. I mean, it's like Peugeot bringing back the 205 GTi, VW reselling the Mk2 Golf GTI or Rover bringing back the MGB...oh 'ang on scratch that last one, they already did that 15 year ago .
Old 31-07-2009

I got my Buggy Champ in two weeks ago. I took a look through everything and it's great that Tamiya really stayed true to the original. I will most likely build it using a bit of vintage and new aftermarket parts. It will get one of my aluminum rear cages and an aluminum front bumper skid made by Tamiyaclub member. I also have a set of Paragua aluminum wheels. I just need to find the time to build it. My Motorcycle project has consumed all my free time.

Jimmy is right, with the production costs on this chassis, this chassis will be around a while and I would imagine Tamiya will try to pimp it in as many ways as possible. The writing it on the wall, I bet we see a Scorcher release by Christmas.

Jim
Old 31-07-2009
Administrator

Hope so! I must admit, I've got a few sets of original front ends, shock sets, wheels / tyres etc - had a look through it the other day to prepare for a bit of a review on this one, but I've got too much on to do it at the moment and with various things I totally missed the release! A couple of months and I'll be a happy rider owner
Seen your various project cars over the years Shodog - awesome stuff, and I look forward to seeing whatever pimped out creation you make of this one.

Any links to the cage / bumper you mention - are those bits on general sale or one-off's?
Old 01-08-2009

The rear bumper is one that was having produced a few years ago. The front bumper was made by Mike (cul-tech) I'm not sure if he is doing these anymore.
Old 01-08-2009

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/tanatwo1970....html?m=lc&p=2

a great DIY bumper for SRB...
Does anyone know where to get this kind of board? thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_995333.jpg (65.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg img_995333_5.jpg (116.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-08-2009

Shodog remember me I bought the yokomo car from you on tamiya club.
I have not had the chance to race it, but I did throw a brushless system
in it just for fun and ran it in a parking lot. I still have the LRP esc you sent
me as well. Didnt know you was a fan of oople too.
But whenever you decide to sell something to me again I'm all for it!
Old 10-08-2009

Default Rough Rider

Hi All,
just wondering who's got the best Uk price for the re-issue? My local shop is only getting a handful and I have my name down but I don't want to be ripped off! I'm also told that he can't get any more....true or a sales ploy by Tamiya?
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2009

I missed out on the whole Rough Rider & Sand Scorcher thing when I was younger.... the Hornet was my first R/C car, so I guess I find the whole excitement surrounding the re-release & the cost of the originals rather bemusing!

Anyway.. I do love the look of the Sand Scorcher & RR - with itheir scale-like VW-esque front beam suspension, Thing is, how do they drive? Judging by the metal cast components they must be heavy beasts - I would love to hear how they handle compared to modern 1/10th electric buggy. Has anyone fitted a brushless system into one?

Tis a shame that looking through the showrooms on TamiyaClub it seems few people actually drive their old Tamiyas.... or even build them!
Old 12-08-2009
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyDan View Post
Anyway.. I do love the look of the Sand Scorcher & RR - with itheir scale-like VW-esque front beam suspension, Thing is, how do they drive? Judging by the metal cast components they must be heavy beasts - I would love to hear how they handle compared to modern 1/10th electric buggy. Has anyone fitted a brushless system into one?
How do you think a narrow buggy with a high CoG, oversprung and underdamped suspension, with no diff, is going to handle.
Usually they will understeer everywhere, until the snap oversteer comes in. They bounce along, cornering off road is better than on road as there's usually only one rear wheel at most in contact with the ground.
Quote:
Tis a shame that looking through the showrooms on TamiyaClub it seems few people actually drive their old Tamiyas.... or even build them!
Ahem, an awful lot of us run the old cars quite hard. From some of our bashes at Ainsdale...
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...48960&sid=6167
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=49748&sid=280
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=57600&sid=280
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...=63249&sid=280

and why everyone wants a Scorcher release
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUmd...e=channel_page