Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > TRUCKS - SC - Truggy - Stadium - Crawler

Old 09-04-2011

Default UK Short Course Nationals 2011 / Short Course Shootout

Afternoon everyone

The web site for the UK Short Course Nationals 2011 is now live.

Please use this to enter and find venue information.

The site will be continually updated in the next few weeks

www.ukshortcourse.com

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

Good news Chris

£5 entry fee per round is a bargain...

very tempting to run 2 classes now
Old 10-04-2011

Keep'in it cheap to encourage all the new drivers to get a taste for proper racing!!

Hopefully it will encourage drivers from other classes to get an RTR and have a go just for just to experience this class.
Old 10-04-2011

It doesnt say in your rules, but are you allowing reverse to be used ?? Its banned in every other class which i think is a good idea.
Old 10-04-2011

Hi after a quick discussion, the use of reverse will not be allowed as other classes.

I will get the rules updated in the morning.

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-04-2011
oOple Advertiser

Bit miffed. How do i tell the young one he's banned coz his RTR has reverse Thought this was series was to encourage new blood.
Old 10-04-2011

Hi,

i`m for having reverse please and keep the rules to a minimum,you will only exclude drivers if you start with making loads of rules IMO.

This is supposed to be a fun light hearted fun class,all about having some FUN
My car has reverse,i will use it to get myself out of trouble if i can,will you ban me for using it?.
The "no reverse" rule was from a time back in the dark ages,when ESC`s blew up if you used reverse,it`s a well out dated rule and should be dropped from all classes IMHO [just to throw that in there ] LOL

OK with me if you [anyone]want to keep it in other classes,but to me this is one reason why those classes get limited uptake,just too many rules and red tape,forcing people to conform.

S.
Old 10-04-2011

Hi Richard

Your young'n isn't banned at all!! Far from it.

It's not a rule/situation we had considered initially, as we are used to not having reverse.

Personnaly I think it confuses marshalls as you don't know which truck has reverse and which doesn't.

Maybe (Stefs idea) we but an R on the top of trucks with reverse enabled. Or maybe we run Reverse trucks together??

Don't forget this is a new class and new series so we are all learning to a point.

Agree with the rules Twisty, the less the better, this series is about fun.

Cheers

Chris
Old 10-04-2011

Disagree with you on that, the reverse rule is used to stop you reversing into somebody else and ruining there race, and with delayed reverses the driver doesnt even know when it will kick in so how are fellow racers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Hi,

i`m for having reverse please and keep the rules to a minimum,you will only exclude drivers if you start with making loads of rules IMO.

This is supposed to be a fun light hearted fun class,all about having some FUN
My car has reverse,i will use it to get myself out of trouble if i can,will you ban me for using it?.
The "no reverse" rule was from a time back in the dark ages,when ESC`s blew up if you used reverse,it`s a well out dated rule and should be dropped from all classes IMHO [just to throw that in there ] LOL

OK with me if you [anyone]want to keep it in other classes,but to me this is one reason why those classes get limited uptake,just too many rules and red tape,forcing people to conform.

S.
Old 10-04-2011

Hi,

yes i have heard the arguments for and against plenty over the years.
These trucks are tough and have big bumpers,you can save the marshall the run more often than not,meaning a more relaxed marshal,more relaxed meeting.

No one wants to reverse into another car and take them out,thats is not in the spirit of racing and shouldn`t even need mentioning.

I like reverse,it helps much more than it hinders,cars should have reverse IMHO.

if you decide to bring this rule to the series.

S.
Old 10-04-2011

Hi,

sorry,but this is bugging me.
If you implement a "no reverse" rule,i will Boycot the use of brakes and lock my brakes out is that OK?

cheers,
S.

PS,I`m a trouble maker,sorry

Old 10-04-2011

Do what you want with your brakes, if you consistently run into the back of people, you run the risk of being removed from the meeting

Is it not possible to lock reverse out on the basic RTR speed controllers in question?
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

i'm pretty sure that most RTR SCT's have option of forward/brake as a seperate function to forward/reverse on the speedo, none of our racers run reverse and there are a fair few out of the box RTR's

I strongly agree with the organisers and Graveltrap's last comment...

In R/C racing reverse is not allowed, simple!... only class i know of is Mardaves and after seeing some of their national racing recently, all that ever happens is cars reverse out of barriers very slowly into path of oncoming cars... crash!

this not acceptable and will only cause arguments when a truck going along with flow of circuit direction gets broken because of a car reversing in front of them.

I agree that marshals will make a split second decision and head for a car that looks to be stuck facing markings etc.. not good if suddenly the stranded car backs up and leaves a marshal heading across track for no reason.

If its a major issue and enough drivers feel they need reverse... run a Novice class for cars running reverse and they can drive which way they want without upsetting the racers used to forward only.
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

Would like to know the basis of the 'banned in every other class' statement?

Have just trawled the BRCA 1:10 electric off-road rules (here: http://www.brca.org/sites/default/fi...off%20road.pdf) and it clearly states:

23. CONSTRUCTION RULES - GENERAL

23.5 Any type of speed controller may be used but it must be contained within the car and not protrude through the body shell

Am with many of the others that banning them WILL put people of from entering this series as many of the RTR chassis come with Forward/Reverse ESC's and yes I do understand the implications of reversing into traffic and that marshalls may get slightly 'miffed' and going for a truck that has reverse capability but thought that this series was aimed at ALL drivers of ALL abilities with very few rules/regs to promote participation and not select rules that will put drivers off.
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

We are not running to BRCA 1/10th off-road rules... they are for buggies and stadium trucks... there are no rules governed for SCT's.

The majority will not be running reverse, it won't be fair to have a vote on it during the first round briefing as reverse fans will easily be out voted.

I've never seen it be an issue before!

The BRCA rules also state it is an offence to drive the wrong way on a track... whch reversing is technically breaking that rule.

Reverse could also be seen as an unfair advantage to those having to wait for marshals

Seperate classes... it makes it easier on marshalling and fairer to other drivers.
Old 10-04-2011

What micro's did when it all started was allow the speedo's but ban the use of reverse. That seems a perfectly reasonable compromise, meaning everyone gets to race, nobody has to buy new gear and racers can race without it becoming a dodgem track.

Just ban the USE of reverse, not the speedo.
Old 10-04-2011

Hmm.

I was joking about the brakes,but this is getting a tad silly.If i have to be in a "Novice" class because i would like to use reverse and/or have to have a big "R" on the roof of my car,i`m sorry,but `i`m out,you will have us wearing pointy "D" hats and standing in a corner next.

If you are stuck somewhere reverse or not,a marshall will be on the way,if you want to run forward/brakes only,thats up to you.I can`t see why we need any rule at all or to segregate again,just pants.

Was really looking forward to this,but it isn`t looking so good at the moment.I almost fell over my bottom lip too.

S
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

Just checked...

SC10, XXX SCT, Strike, Blitz, Slash, Slash 4x4 all have OPTIONAL reverse, meaning they can be reprogrammed to run as forward/brake only

Pretty sure majority of RTR speedos are the same these days

There should be no extra expense expected for new racers, RTR's can be competitive in this class with experience and we want a friendly fun championship for everybody, but keeping to basic R/C racing rules is the only way you will keep the experienced racers interested as well as giving new starters a welcome start into the hobby.

Its not good for either party if a reversing car gets smacked by another one at speed, both parties lose out.
Old 10-04-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisty View Post
Hmm.

I was joking about the brakes,but this is getting a tad silly.If i have to be in a "Novice" class because i would like to use reverse and/or have to have a big "R" on the roof of my car,i`m sorry,but `i`m out,you will have us wearing pointy "D" hats and standing in a corner next.

If you are stuck somewhere reverse or not,a marshall will be on the way,if you want to run forward/brakes only,thats up to you.I can`t see why we need any rule at all or to segregate again,just pants.

Was really looking forward to this,but it isn`t looking so good at the moment.I almost fell over my bottom lip too.

S
Quite simple matey, don't crash and you won't need reverse... thats the aim of the game

Its R/C racing basics... at some point in the hobby you won't be able to use reverse, better for the new starters to get used to it in an entry class than than trying it at another big meeting and gettng penalised.

Its racing, its a championship... its not bashing with mates in a field where anything goes, there needs to be basic rules and format or it won't work
Old 10-04-2011

Ok guys we are going to go round in circles with this one...

From a seasoned race directors perspective you CANNOT run trucks with reverse and trucks without reverse in the same heat.

It confused drivers and marshals alike, and will lead to unfair incidents. I seen it all before.

Just because you run RTR doesn't mean you want or have to run reverse.

This is not about "banning" or penalising novice drivers especially RTR trucks. I'm even sure there are many drivers using non RTR kit who would like to use reverse.

it's just about a setting on the ESC and driver/track etiquette and marshal safety.