Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 17-03-2017
Mad Member

Default Changing motor wind for my lads

My lads have been using 17.5 motor's in the losi 22 for a few races and have been driving better and better and had no breakages

As the summer season starts and maybe after a couple of races I'm thinking of changing the motors to slightly faster ones

Any suggestions on a wind I see a lot of 13.5s about would that be too much of a speed increase?
Old 17-03-2017

Hi Daz, what esc's are you using? Could you try adding a bit of boost or timing on the existing motors or have you already tried that?
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 17-03-2017
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navek668 View Post
Hi Daz, what esc's are you using? Could you try adding a bit of boost or timing on the existing motors or have you already tried that?
Now that's a good idea forgot about all that stuff they are using the turnigy trackstar turbo what would be good setting to change do you think?
Old 17-03-2017

If you have the program card you can adjust the boost on its own which I think automatically changes the timing slightly too, I use toro esc's and started off on 5 degrees of boost and just slowly worked that up to 15 degrees adding a couple after each days racing, if the turnigy esc's are similar which I think they are then should be a reasonable start point
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 17-03-2017
Mad Member

Thanks will give it a try
Old 12-04-2017
Mad Member

Depending on what 17.5 you are using right now, 13.5 may or may not make a big difference. When our SC Stock racers switched from 17.5 to 13.5, they did not feel much of a performance boost other than that the trucks were easier to jump.
10.5 and 9.5 motors are still fairly easy to drive and may be a better choice for a 'real' next step, unless you intend to buy one of the current (pro) stock motors intended for high-profile spec racing. Most probably you can get a better deal on one of the older 9.5/10.5 motors e.g. by Vampire Racing or LRP/Nosram. Ruddog distribution had a clearance sale going on, maybe similar bargains are currently in the UK.

Adding boost can make a huge difference, but also ruin your motor if you don't watch temperature. If your lads like to run a complete battery during practice and not quit after a 5-7 minute run, I'd say better safe than sorry and not increase esc timing too much. Using a normal non-blinky program with a 13.5 or 10.5/9.5 motor should be a good compromise. When I first let my son drive an 8.5 on an astroturf track, he was a bit intimidated at first, but from lap two he was grinning from ear to ear. As long as the grip is there, the kids will get used to more power faster than we old dudes.
With the 22, you've got a durable platform that will give your children confidence and they may catch up with you faster than you might like!
Old 12-04-2017
Mad Member

I know with some of the younger / less experienced members at our club we have suggested using something like an 8.5 and turning down the end points so that it never reaches full speed.

Then as ability, track layout and track conditions allow maximum speed can be varied from the handset.

It also seems to keep things a little more linear feeling compared to playing with timing and boost etc that tend to increase power at certain points in the throttle range.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 27-04-2017
Mad Member

Coming back to this I see my Motors have a plus and minus sign on them I assume if I move the end bell towards the plus it will make it faster. Will it make much difference?

It was funny watching my lad come second in his final the other day gets pasted down the straight then over takes them all again on the infield