Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 12th & 10th On Road

Old 18-12-2012

Default Gt12 what esc are the top national drivers using

As per title am hopeing some top drivers of the gt12 national series can enlighten me to what blinky esc they are using, I'm currently using the core pace but want something that will give a bit more power output as I feel the car is a little slow even geared correctly to the specific clubs I race.Any info very much welcome.thanks
Old 18-12-2012

Hobbywing 1s seem to be the most popular
Lrp
Eds
Sworkz 35-4n
Alpha dragon
Old 19-12-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Also dependent on motor and timing
Old 19-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark christopher View Post
Also dependent on motor and timing
So what 13.5 motor do u reccomend i currently have a dynamite motor which is pretty much same as the thunder power so far have no complaints seems to perform ok.
Old 20-12-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampat2004 View Post
So what 13.5 motor do u reccomend i currently have a dynamite motor which is pretty much same as the thunder power so far have no complaints seems to perform ok.
i like the Dynamite, loads of grunt

but your right they are the same ish, slightly different diameter rotors and end bells

Schumacher Cat Xls, Rc10 Team(retired), Mardave Cobra, SST 98 Rally Car, TT02 Rally car, Wpl-c24 and Element Enduro builders kit #71 #deaddogracing

Autocare, unit 5 candleby Court, Cotgrave NG123RT.
Old 21-12-2012
Mad Member

Most top drivers are using Hobbywing 1S 120A, LRP SXX v2, Nosram equivalent, SP in various forms. All these are/will be superceded soon, so there are more on the used market and it's easy to pick up a bargain. The HW, LRP, Nosram ones are all 1S compatible so they're probably the ones to pick.

Motors all seem to be much of a muchness. I like the Dynamite motor too, preferably with mild timing and higher gearing as it then has plenty of grunt for what is comparatively a heavy car. HTH
Old 31-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampat2004 View Post
As per title am hopeing some top drivers of the gt12 national series can enlighten me to what blinky esc they are using, I'm currently using the core pace but want something that will give a bit more power output as I feel the car is a little slow even geared correctly to the specific clubs I race.Any info very much welcome.thanks
Hi,
I was interested in this post after trying my Core 45R in my touring car with a 17.5 Duo 2. It runs really rather well and I'm competitive with the other runners still on Tekins/Hobbywings (blinky rules). I had no issue buying another for my Supastox over christmas, but I wasn't sure it was on the pace @ Tamworth (Thunder Power 13.5 motor 67.5 mm/rev, 40 deg timing), (granted the chassis was awful until the final leg of finals). I think the Core-RC lipo's were the place to point the finger, rather than the speedo? Interested to hear of any other experiences before I make a decision on what to do about it, if anything.
Cheers
Phil
Old 31-12-2012

Pos Car Name Result Avrg Lap Best Lap
1 3 peter craig 45/ 484.27 10.76 10.32 (9)
2 1 Peter Angus 44/ 482.79 10.97 10.53 (10)
3 5 Stan French 44/ 489.48 11.12 10.53 (7)
4 4 John Wilson 44/ 489.92 11.13 10.68 (26)
5 6 Alex Inglis JNR 43/ 483.17 11.24 10.63 (12)

Here are the results from the Barley Mow A final. As you can see they are very close.

I believe position 1&2 are Tekin, 3 Core and 4&5 HW 1s. IMO i dont think that the spedo is a big factor in this class.

I have a Tekin and a core, I like the core slightly better than the Tekin.
Old 04-01-2013

As already mentioned, Nosram Pearl, LRP SXX V3 and HobbyWing 1s are popular. All these have the facility to run on low 1s voltages and boost the voltage output to your servo and receiver to around 6.0v so that they work properly. Each has its pros and cons...

Pearl and SXX are both physically small, which is good. They do both have relatively big capacitors though, but most drivers I have seen using these speedos ditch their stick on heat sinks (not really needed for GT12 racing) and stick the caps on top of the speedo. The solder tabs on both are easier to solder your wires to if you use thinner 14swg wire as many brands of 12swg wire are too wide to fit. Both have a BEC circuit that is reported to give 6.0v and upto 3A to your receiver and servo but this is has proven to be the weak point for both models - the circuit can be unreliable and can fail, especially if you use a current thirsty servo. The newer versions of the speedos have a different board which is meant to be more reliable (but I know of a couple that have still failed). Use a good quality, low current servo though and you should be fine.

HW are a bit cheaper and I've not heard of any specific pattern of failures with them. However, they are physically bigger and considerably heavier too. Their BEC circuitry seems to be more reliable but is only rated at 2A so stay away from thirsty servos! When you buy one you will have to install a different version of the software (version 508 it is called) to get true blinky mode. The optional setup box gives some useful tuning options too.

One speedo not mentioned before, the new kid on the block, is the Viper VTX1. This is a fraction smaller than the SXX and Pearl and has an easier to use setup box than the HW. Unfortunately there is no Uk importer, yet, but negotiations are going on right not to change that! I have one of these in my car and know of a few others who run it is 1/12 circuit cars and we can't fault them on any front.

Of course, if you run a booster then any speedo is possible. Good/popular ones at the top end of the spectrum seem to be either the Tekin or Black Diamond.

Hope this helps,

James
Old 04-01-2013
Mad Member

Team Orion 1s ESC is perfect for GT12 class. Built in voltage Booster!
ORI65101.
Same features as the 2s version used by Jilles Groskamp etc!

Kyosho UK

www.kyoshoeurope.com
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbert1664 View Post
Hi,
I was interested in this post after trying my Core 45R in my touring car with a 17.5 Duo 2. It runs really rather well and I'm competitive with the other runners still on Tekins/Hobbywings (blinky rules). I had no issue buying another for my Supastox over christmas, but I wasn't sure it was on the pace @ Tamworth (Thunder Power 13.5 motor 67.5 mm/rev, 40 deg timing), (granted the chassis was awful until the final leg of finals). I think the Core-RC lipo's were the place to point the finger, rather than the speedo? Interested to hear of any other experiences before I make a decision on what to do about it, if anything.
Cheers
Phil
Thanks guys for input on this thread.