Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 25-07-2014

Default ESC / Motor combo

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at esc motor combos to power a 4wd buggy (Durango dex). Well where do I start so much choice! I want to spend circa £80 to get me up an running. Looking to go for 7.5/8.5 turns on the motor and I'm not bothered about reverse, il certainly need brakes though.

I've been looking at the Speed passion reventon r 70a & v3 motor. Has anyone had an experience with this ESC? And is there a LCD program card available?

I'm open to any recommendations/alternatives before I spend any money

Thanks in advance
Nick
Old 25-07-2014
Mad Member

The speed passion ESC and motor are pretty good and easy to use /set up. I think the R comes with LED prog card, and the pro comes with LCD card. I tend to use the software to set up and it is easy enough and smooth.

I see lots of advice for the hobby king stuff which will be cheaper

Yokomo YZ-2

No 4WD because nothing lives up to my original Optima. Until now maybe?...
Old 25-07-2014

I've got the turnigy trackstar 9.5t and hobbyking x-car 120a esc recently which i'm impressed with but It was a big jump from the world of brushed motors. Turnigy do a range over lower turn motors if 9.5t isn't fast enough. It goes like lightning in my 2wd buggy though.

The usb programming lead was about £2 and the software is very simple any pain free to use. The lot was about £55 I think from Hobbyking.

I've also heard alot of good things about the speed passion kit whilst I was researching, I just couldn't stretch my budget to it.
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by butters86 View Post
I've got the turnigy trackstar 9.5t and hobbyking x-car 120a esc recently which i'm impressed with but It was a big jump from the world of brushed motors. Turnigy do a range over lower turn motors if 9.5t isn't fast enough. It goes like lightning in my 2wd buggy though.

The usb programming lead was about £2 and the software is very simple any pain free to use. The lot was about £55 I think from Hobbyking.

I've also heard alot of good things about the speed passion kit whilst I was researching, I just couldn't stretch my budget to it.
For a 4wd, I'd suggest 7.5 turn or lower - you can always programme a bit of top end off if needs be. I started with a 9.5t in a 4wd b44.1 and it felt quick until I put it on a track next to others and they blitzed me on the straight. It was fine in field though. I now have a 6.5 t which I have set to take a bit of out and out speed and aggression of it and it is fine. I will up the settings once I get fully back into it as I am only 4-5 months back to rc after a 28 year lay off!!

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 26-07-2014

Cheers Ashlandchris,
Ive found a reventon R inc 6.5 or 7.5 turn v3.0 motor and program card for £67 delivered which seems reasonable. I think il go for that and as you suggested turn it down a bit until my skill gets better

Thanks for the advice
Nick
Old 26-07-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I wouldn't get a 70A esc for a 4wd
Get the reventon PRO or look elsewhere.
If your on a budget then TORO ts120 might be good or have a look for used SPv2.1, absima, orion, hobbywing v2.1

"Babe thats NOT the price its the serial number!!"
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKiwi View Post
I wouldn't get a 70A esc for a 4wd
Get the reventon PRO or look elsewhere.
If your on a budget then TORO ts120 might be good or have a look for used SPv2.1, absima, orion, hobbywing v2.1
I have to say I did start with basic reventon ESC and 9.5t combo, but got a 2nd hand reventon pro which is now in my 4wd with 6.5t and other is in my 2wd so that is good advice

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 26-07-2014

Hi Nicky,

It depends on what you are using the car for? If you are racing at BRCA events such as the regional series you will need an approved motor as per their homologation lists this applies to battery choice as well - http://www.brca.org/content/homologa...-updates/14218

If just for bashing around or at your local club then just be wary of a cheap low amp out put as others have mentioned, you may not get the performance or longevity and it could be false economy.

There are usually a few top end speedos and motors being sold off here on Oople so it may better to buy a decent second hand one than a cheap new one.
Old 26-07-2014

Back to the drawing board then this is why I'm glad I asked! Am I being unrealistic thinking I can get something half decent for say £80-£100? For both motor and ESC? I don't mind buying secondhand if it's good quality. Il be using it at a local club, no nationals etc but never say never
Old 26-07-2014
Mad Member

The hobby king stuff would be well within that budget. My reventon pro and v3 motor was £65 2nd hand.

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 26-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwillyhams View Post
Back to the drawing board then this is why I'm glad I asked! Am I being unrealistic thinking I can get something half decent for say £80-£100? For both motor and ESC? I don't mind buying secondhand if it's good quality. Il be using it at a local club, no nationals etc but never say never
If it's for club racing, check that they don't run to the BRCA list first and foremost, the last thing you want to do is buy something your not allowed to use.

If not then check what others at your club are running, if they are running the cheaper stuff and gain feedback from them, you will find most will be happy to tell you what works, watch their cars and if it looks up to the job, go for it.
Old 26-07-2014

Just had a quick look in the for sale section and there is someone selling a full electric setup apparently new in box.

I'm not sure on the speedo but do some research and if it is a Hobbywing v3.1 rebadged then it's a decent speedo, the HPI 8.5 motor approx £50 new will be spot on and the savox speedo approx £45 new

I'm not sure who the seller is Plasmag, but ask on here and you will get feedback on them.

Here's a link to the sale items, good luck and I hope you figure it all out, any questions just ask

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154408
Old 27-07-2014

A lot of the lads I race with have bought the Turnigy Trackstar 120a speedo think they're about £ 40 posted.
Old 27-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch View Post
If it's for club racing, check that they don't run to the BRCA list first and foremost, the last thing you want to do is buy something your not allowed to use.

If not then check what others at your club are running, if they are running the cheaper stuff and gain feedback from them, you will find most will be happy to tell you what works, watch their cars and if it looks up to the job, go for it.
Is there a BRCA list for ESC's or does it just apply to motor selection?
Old 27-07-2014
Mad Member

Just motors and LIPOs, not that i've ever paid attention to the list in the last 5 years
Old 28-07-2014

What are your thoughts on the lrp x20 motors? And could somebody explain to me what the following statement (from the brca list) means,

Motors below this level retain approval, although they were approved before implementation of BRCA (EB) Rule 5.6, (requiring access to the stator for measurement and visual appraisal of laminates). Some motors do allow stator access.

Thanks
Old 29-07-2014
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

X20's are great, although they naturally run hotter than most others.
Alot hotter... in a 410 this may be an issue.
Old 29-07-2014

Yeah I did read about this, tbh I only asked as there's one in the for sale section at a reasonable price. I've been looking at the speed passion v3.0's again but the only thing that's concerning me is the male/female push on terminals. Some people have said they pop off in the event of a crash an I'm pretty sure il have a few of them getting started

Thanks for the advice
Old 29-07-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwillyhams View Post
Yeah I did read about this, tbh I only asked as there's one in the for sale section at a reasonable price. I've been looking at the speed passion v3.0's again but the only thing that's concerning me is the male/female push on terminals. Some people have said they pop off in the event of a crash an I'm pretty sure il have a few of them getting started

Thanks for the advice
I've never popped one off, and I crash quite a bit...

Yokomo YZ-2

Old 29-07-2014

Good motor then? There available at some good prices! Have you had to gear it up?