Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 03-11-2009

lmao, i take it u 2 are sharing a room at Worksop with all this flirting going on!!
Old 03-11-2009
Mad Member

There's always room for three .

Clown
Old 03-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD View Post
What you 2 and Paul... Keep the noise down. I will need my racing sleep!
Old 03-11-2009

Question Point taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
it was bit of a crush round that point and yes could not always see car when racing because of amount of people in one space,also when racing all it needed was the person next to you to lean slightly forward and you could not see the corner either end of track,just need to remember when next planning track leave a couple of meter in front of rostrum not put track right up to it.or taper track away from rostrum at a slight angle either end keeping full depth in the middle.

I agree Rob.
........................'ang on, I thought you helped build the track.
Old 03-11-2009

Send a message via MSN to T4miy4 Guy Send a message via Skype™ to T4miy4 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The race controller View Post
I agree Rob.
I agree Rob`s fault
Old 04-11-2009

Send a message via MSN to birdy

I was one of the only two 1/8th racers at bury this weekend and I am struggling to see your issue with safety.

I have raced 1/8th RallyX for over 5 years and have never see any broken legs nor have I seen anyone killed by a 1/8th Buggy, Believe it or not I have seen more broken bones from 1/10th cars in my early years of 1/10 racing, I also see more accidents from safety issues with the track (people tripping whilst marshalling) or falling rostrums.

If the track is set out correctly and drivers are warned at the drivers briefing not to gather around the rostrum then there will be less chance of an accident.

Also with the issue of the 1/8'ths ripping the flooring up off the jumps, add a little more carpet to that landing area to protect.

I think what the Bury club have done to allow 1/8 to race is a very good thing and would hate to see them get banned because of an issue with safety.

www.bmrcc.co.uk
Old 04-11-2009
Mad Member

Default 1/8

Neil I'm not saying your not very capable driver becouse I know you are . What about the young lad racing one he took my car out before the race even started . He does not have the control you have and my mates just bought one I wouldn't like to see one in his hands he strugled keeping his lazer on the track so what's he going to be like?

buds

http://budsballs.co.uk
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy View Post
I was one of the only two 1/8th racers at bury this weekend and I am struggling to see your issue with safety.
I agree. The issue isn't with the 1/8th cars - it's just with keeping people away from the track.

Rather than going to the extremes of netting the whole track, just some safety tape in the busier areas (where drivers are waiting and reading the time sheets) would be sufficient. That would keep the view clear for the corners as well. You could always net just the near corner if any issues were evident.

The last thing I would want to see is any class being excluded unnecessarily. I know that Bury have always been very open to running other classes and I think that this is good for the hobby.

Dave
Roundabout Toys
Old 04-11-2009

The 1/8th looked good going round. They were loads faster than the trucks though. Its a shame there arnt enough to make their own heat. The younger driver did seem to be struggling with his car. Thats not his fault as we all need to start somewhere. It was a little hard work trying to get round and keep out of the way too. Those 1/8th cars can really push the trucks around. But I believe that 1/8th electric will catch on and I hope will see more of them
Old 04-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I wasn't suggesting 1/8th are in any way unsafe, just that I felt the safety measures we had put in place were inadequate to cope with them. I've been to nitro races before and agree that on a correctly set out track they are effectively safer than 1/10th (because we often skip safety issues) but that is at a proper 1/8th track.
Essentially we are left with a choice - build the track with the 1/8ths in mind, or not allow them. Its possible to increase spectator safety fairly easily (there were more benches to make barriers) but marshal safety is a lot harder. Several marshals got hit by 1/10ths especially marshalling the jump. A hit from an 1/8th in full flight would have you in hospital.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 04-11-2009

The only things I can think of to increase marshal safety are...

1/ Give advice in the drivers briefing, especially for new drivers, as to what to be aware of when marshalling. Also advise drivers regarding slowing down when a marshal is in certain areas of the track.

2/ High visibility vests for marshals.

3/ Moving the marshalling points to make some areas easier to marshal. I think that having the larger gap suggested by someone earlier between the rostrum and track would make the tabletop easier to marshall.

Maybe these would help. These are just things I've thought of quickly, so criticism is welcome.
Stockists of Associated, Hot Bodies, Schumacher, FTX, HPI, Hobao, Exceed, XRay, Nosram, Alturn, RPM, Thunder Tiger, Venom, Pro-Line, Fastrax, Novak, Losi, RPM, RW Racing, Blue Bird, Savox, Spektrum, Byron and way,way more.
--------------------
Daves Cars...
Just a lonely mini E-Revo right now
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD

What you 2 and Paul... Keep the noise down. I will need my racing sleep!

You 2 have just given me the chills!
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon666 View Post
The only things I can think of to increase marshal safety are...

1/ Give advice in the drivers briefing, especially for new drivers, as to what to be aware of when marshalling. Also advise drivers regarding slowing down when a marshal is in certain areas of the track.

2/ High visibility vests for marshals.

3/ Moving the marshalling points to make some areas easier to marshal. I think that having the larger gap suggested by someone earlier between the rostrum and track would make the tabletop easier to marshall.

Maybe these would help. These are just things I've thought of quickly, so criticism is welcome.
These things, and im sure Birdy will correct me if im wrong, have been in place at NNRC since its inception and surely they are just common sense??
Old 04-11-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Yes - for a nitro track! But they are much less common in electric 10th as at times they are arguably not needed.
This is what I mean - its not that the 1/8th themselves are the problem, they just need more care to be taken.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 04-11-2009

But surely Si, nitro leccy 10th 8th or largescale its just common sense. end of the day no matter what the size of the cars, the inertia is what does the damage, so with the 10ths being just as fast if not faster than the 8ths its more reason to implement above ideas??
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelie600 View Post
These things, and im sure Birdy will correct me if im wrong, have been in place at NNRC since its inception and surely they are just common sense??
As Si said, they aren't common in 10th.

But you are right, they are common sense. But common sense doesn't always prevail.

It's usually after an accident that the safety measures get implemented.
Stockists of Associated, Hot Bodies, Schumacher, FTX, HPI, Hobao, Exceed, XRay, Nosram, Alturn, RPM, Thunder Tiger, Venom, Pro-Line, Fastrax, Novak, Losi, RPM, RW Racing, Blue Bird, Savox, Spektrum, Byron and way,way more.
--------------------
Daves Cars...
Just a lonely mini E-Revo right now
Old 04-11-2009
Super Moderator

And there is a problem with common sense.......

.....it's not common enough!

G
Old 04-11-2009

This is the thing, prevention is better than cure!

So if Bury comittee get their collective brains together im sure they can come up with a viable solution, and in doing so prevent accidents.

Not sure if that came out right but you know what i mean, and nothing is meant in malice.
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The race controller View Post
I agree Rob.
wow hold on,it cant be all my fault! i was only following orders from other people who i presumed new what they were doing,so next time il speak up,people should put pen to paper for track ideas to speed up building on the saturday aswell.
Old 04-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
wow hold on,it cant be all my fault! i was only following orders from other people who i presumed new what they were doing,so next time il speak up,people should put pen to paper for track ideas to speed up building on the saturday aswell.
Ill blame you too Rob!! Thats how come you beat me! LOL