Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 10-01-2018

Default Wheel types.

Hi all,
I recently bought a couple of second hand B4's, one for my boy and one for me. We have had great fun with them so far. Recently I took the wheels off to clean them and generally check them over, I noticed that one has what appears to be a 12mm hex fitting and the other is a pin set up.
So what have I got? Which is best? Is it easy to change to one type? Any input and opinions appreciated.

Cheers.
Snooky.
Old 10-01-2018

I've no experience with the B4 so take this with a pinch of salt, but you should be able to add a hex to the pin drive on the axle to allow you to run 12mm hex wheels.

At this stage 12mm hex is more-or-less industry standard across 2wd and 4wd buggies, so there is no shortage of them available. I quite like the JConcepts wheels as you get two pair ~£8 where RRP on TLR wheels for example are £8 for a single pair.

One thing you do need to look out for is the depth of the wheel, some manufactures have a large shoulder or un-threaded part on the driveshaft which requires a much thicker wheel offset to fill so that the nut can tighten up against the face of the wheel rather than running out of threads.

If the b64 is anything similar to your buggy, its possible to run tlr 22 rims on both front and rear as the threaded section on the axles goes almost all the way to the face of the hex and thus its not a problem.
Old 10-01-2018

As above.......the hex fitting is a conversion that fits over the original pin fitting....in your case, you have one of each.
Although pin fit wheels are still available, most wheels are now 12mm hex fitting, so are much more readily available.
Hex fittings provide a more secure fit, less likely to slip, and provide better forward drive.
Best to get the conversion for your sons car and both of you run hex drive wheels.
The B4 is one of my favourites...!
Team Associated B4.2
RC10 Worlds
Old 14-01-2018

Thanks both :-)