Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 21-09-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

@Chazz.

Thanks for the info, I thought the UK would be more than 20% of your sales, learn something new everyday !

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 21-09-2011
oOple Advertiser

Compared to all the countries in the world 20% is a huge chunk for the tiny little UK market. If you consider alomost each state in the US is the size of the UK, the overall number of racers in the US far outweighs most of the other worldwide countries thrown together and that is before you look at some of the other areas that are very prominent in RC such as the far east and other large EU countries too.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 21-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Brian Kinwald started the long chassis craze 2 1/2 years ago when he drove for us by lengthening his X - 6. Later he decided the first version was too long and made a second one shorter than the first but 5mm longer than stock. Paul had a 5mm chassis at the 2009 R.O.A.R. Nationals. He destroyed the car in a monster crash at full speed on the back straight. Kinwald continued to run his "limo" until we parted company early this year.

Paul has been running the stock chassis ever since with excellent results, and all other Team drivers, including Ellis, have always used only production chassies. They all know about Kinwald's "limo," and the pros & cons have been discussed throughout the Team. All drivers are free to do as they see fit, and so far all have used only production chassies.

The "limo" suited Kinwald, so if you can drive like a World Champ it might suit you, but our experience indicates most other drivers will do quite well with the standard X - 6 Sq chassis.
Ok for all those who want to make a quick test of a 5mm longer car. But who hate to use inlines with the caster block shimmed forward ( my personal favorite )

Just reverse the caster blocks, this will make your car a bit longer.

It's not totally "plug-and-play" but easy enough to do:
  • if you run 30 deg. (+5deg) you need to use 20deg. (-5deg) caster to keep the same caster setting ( you're reversing them remember ! ) -
    25deg ( 0deg ) you can just swap over.
  • Cut a small amount of the (now ) backside of the caster block to keep the same steering amount ( see "X6+5 (5)" caster block on the right side )
  • Cut a small amount of your suspension arm to keep the steering block from binding on the arm when steering ( same as you would with running inlines in the long position, which btw also adds about 5mm if you want to go even longer ).
  • add about 15/20 grams under the steering rack to keep the same weight distribution.
  • always run your steering block low, to compensate for the height difference.
  • readjust toe- / cambersettings and EPA (Duh.....)
that's all you need to do.

Note-1: it does weaken the front a little, so I'm assuming you (sort-of) know how to drive
Note-2: also works on the B4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X6+5 (4).jpg (198.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg X6+5 (5).jpg (167.7 KB, 165 views)
Old 22-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbizzle5 View Post
Ian Mellish ran his x6 with the x60 truck chassis on all year this year at nationals and had his best year yet! Yes it looks like a boat but managed to get his F1 for the first time ever!

I think this guy and his mechanic should be rewarded for this remarkable feat with full time employment with the X-Factory family....i hear their demands are very reasonable!
Old 22-09-2011
Mad Member

We are certainly glad to see another X-Car in F1.

It's just my opinion that Ian could have gone even faster with a 5mm car instead of the truck.

Janus is quite instructive. Paul achieves the 5mm now by doing much of what Janus suggests -- I think there's a story on our site about how Brian first did it. I believe Paul runs that way all the time now.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 22-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
Janus is quite instructive. Paul achieves the 5mm now by doing much of what Janus suggests -- I think there's a story on our site about how Brian first did it.
Brian also used my favorite approach, just use inlines and keep the caster block up front. Already used it on my B4, and put it on the X6 since I started running it in the "3-gear era"

He even cuts a bit extra off the front to make it even longer. But that makes the car to stable / docile for my taste

If you want to go that long its better to flip the caster block, that way it still has the full support of the hingepin. With the "Kinwald method" the caster block gets play in the hingepin hole after a short while

(pic from 2wdrc.com of the Kinwald front end)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010BKCactus07.jpg (186.2 KB, 143 views)
Old 08-02-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys View Post
I personally believe that a new chassis - that's slim across the middle, with a new slimmer body would be VERY popular indeed.

All 3 chassis's are 'fat' due to the original design needing to accept a full length NIMH pack - sideways across the chassis.

Keeping the same layout - but making a slim chassis with a slim body would appeal to every X6 racer ? IMO the cars look a little silly alongside the slim modern LIPO specific chassis cars we have now.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still quicker with my X6 than my Losi 22 and I love the car - I just hate how it looks compared with newer cars that are designed around today's electrics.
Looks like they finally delivered with the cubed

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk