Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 17-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Top man Chris Ashton.

Belt fences came in the post today.

You can't complain about that for customer service, in-fact it is amazing service thank you.

Do you know when the FAB's and alloy diff eccentrics will be in please?
Sorry for the delay in reply been away, i would expect those bits to be approx 2 weeks depending on QC.
Old 17-08-2011
Mad Member

Ok thank you. They've taken a while. Issues with QC?
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun 'TheSheep' Atkinson View Post
The maintenance issue is why I left Schumacher. I spent More time on maintenance than setups/racing, needed more reliability during regionals and nationals.
I know exactly what you mean, i'm about to sell my sx2, 10 months with it has taking the fun out of racing
Old 03-09-2011
Mad Member

Had a much better time with the car over the last few weeks. It has been getting faster and faster. The only thing that need's love is the Diff's I've been building them after every meet as a precaution.

What has been your maintenance issues? Braking stuff or component failure?

I did have a some issues initially but I'm not sure weather it was how I had built the car,or just teething problems of a brand new car or just my inexperience as I'd been away from racing for so long.

Belts seem to be the main gripe they need to be tensioned correctly if they are too tight they will put excess stress on drive train and bearings, and I thing that if the belt is too slack it will 1. slip and loose drive/braking if you hear a loud clicking under hard braking then a belt is probably too slack. 2. I believe fray and deteriorate much more quickly.

What exact issues are you having?
Old 03-09-2011
Mad Member

no issues this car is fantastic since ive had it ive broken 1 shock tower 1 diff bolt 1 mid belt and a shock shaft the diff bolt and shock tower was done due to hiting a marshal who had his foot in the straight ouch that must have hurt the belt was due to the pull screw undoing and munching my belt the shock shaft was a normal racing insident but ive snapped a shock shaft on every car ive owned so this didn't count.

all i got to say this car carries so much corner speed well happy.

Stu
Old 15-09-2011

Send a message via Skype™ to Cardnim

Just my two cents, but I upgraded an SX1 to an SX2 and the last bit I wanted was the black puley fences.

Sent an email to Schumacher via their website, and was told "sorry, we dont sell them seperately, but how many do you need and I'll post them out"

I offered to pay, but they didnt want anything, 2 days later, bish bash bosh, their on my car.
Now that is first rate customer service in my book.

Big hugs and kisses to the Schumacher crew
Old 15-09-2011

New part number - U3930 Pulley Fences 20T

Available soon
Old 16-09-2011

Been watching this thread with interest. I've just built an SX2 and OK there are some really stupid things I've done but so far I've not had a single completed run out of it.

I've never let Loctite near a diff before but I'm rapidly heading in that direction!
Old 16-09-2011

Ive heard people give off about diffs before too, but Ive never had one single issue with them - nor has another mate who also drives an SX. Strange.

Whats going wrong with it?
Old 16-09-2011

[QUOTE=The Chef;548692]Had a much better time with the car over the last few weeks. It has been getting faster and faster. The only thing that need's love is the Diff's I've been building them after every meet as a precaution.

I'd suggest that your doing something wrong if your having to re build it after each meeting. I think i've ran 2 diffs all year on the 4wd, and by that i meant not touched them, not even to adjust.

2wd i've probably had 2 and re built them 3 times. But considering the amount of running i was doing wit the 2wd then you can blame it for needing some tlc.

What greaes are you using? Me personally i use the std stuff that comes in the kits, quite literally the stuff that comes in the little plastic bags.

Make sure you put enough on both the balls and the thrust race. Dont over tighten it to start and then i usually put it in the car, hold one wheel and spin up the other for 10 seconds of so, repeating for both sides.

I would then normally set to screws and then tighten everything up. no need for loctite or anything like that.
Old 16-09-2011

Danny - Im using the Nuclear greases but apart from that we seem to be doing everything the same.
However, Im curious mate - how do you know its time for the diff to be rebuilt? Im not sure I can "feel" any difference with the car.

Also, a mate of mine has recently got an SX3 and we were just having a discussion about the tightness of a diff. He says that holding lifting the car by the rear wheel and turning the other rear wheel in your hand should feel very tight (i.e. hard to turn) but my diff has never been that tight - infact, its quite easy to turn the rear wheels.

Am I doing something wrong?
Ta muchly!
Old 16-09-2011
Mad Member

"Also, a mate of mine has recently got an SX3 and we were just having a discussion about the tightness of a diff. He says that holding lifting the car by the rear wheel and turning the other rear wheel in your hand should feel very tight (i.e. hard to turn) but my diff has never been that tight - infact, its quite easy to turn the rear wheels."

You need to be holding the spur gear as well as one of the wheels mate, then try turning the other one.
Old 16-09-2011

Ahhh ok, got you.
Thought I was missing something!
Old 16-09-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Also, a mate of mine has recently got an SX3 and we were just having a discussion about the tightness of a diff. He says that holding lifting the car by the rear wheel and turning the other rear wheel in your hand should feel very tight (i.e. hard to turn) but my diff has never been that tight - infact, its quite easy to turn the rear wheels.

Ta muchly!
You need to hold the spur gear as well

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 16-09-2011

Literally have the car in my hand (well not just now as Im typing... but you get the idea)

Frig me, is the wheel is damn hard to turn when holding one rear wheel AND the spur.
Now thats "straight from the manual" tight - i.e. the manual says tighten the diff fully, then release by 90degrees - so is that too tight - am I buggering up a) my diff; or b) my racing?
Old 16-09-2011

that sounds about right(maybe a bit tight).there should be a little slip but some force required to acheive this(not straining yourself to turn the wheel,just a solid grip and turn)
Old 20-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardnim View Post
Danny - Im using the Nuclear greases but apart from that we seem to be doing everything the same.
However, Im curious mate - how do you know its time for the diff to be rebuilt? Im not sure I can "feel" any difference with the car.

Ta muchly!
You can generally feel the diff crunching a bit, feels notchy and a bit rough.

The car will feel different but you may not feel the difference on the track. You can usally tell more when your racing somewhere like Worksop indoors where the grip just goes.

If yours going to test the diff, like you say. Hold the car in the air. Hold one rear wheel and hold the spur gear so that it wont move at all. Then try turning the other free rear wheel. You should be able it, but only after you apply a bit of force, you should just be able to feel if its right. I know that sounds daft. You can do the same for the front too by the way.

You can always put the car down on a grippy surface and just nail it from a standing start. If you rear a barking sound then the diffs are loose. I dont usually do that but its something you can try.

If your not really sure, your best bet is to ask someone in the team to lend you a hand. they can show you how to go about it. If you want to come find me at a meeting then feel free. I'll show you how i go about it and any other little trick ive picked up.

Hope that helps

Danny
Old 20-09-2011

Danny - really really appreciate the help mate. Thanks so much. You're a legend!

And I'll definately take you up on your offer of coming over and showing me the tips and tricks.... so are you racing in Northern Ireland often? hehehe.

Thats my problem mate, there isnt anyone I know of in Northern Ireland whos an experienced Schumacher driver (yet!)
Thats not to say they dont exist, but Ive been all over different clubs, and cant find any.
However, some of the guys from Ireland have been really generous and given me some help, so going to grab them at the next race meet and see what they can advise.

Your tip about the diffs feeling "notchy" is exactly how I would descrribe my diffs, and considering I have never replaced the diff balls - I think its time.

Thanks again.
Andrew.
Old 20-09-2011
Mad Member

Andrew, get your ass up to Ballymena on Saturday, the top Schumacher guys in the country will be in attendance. Any problems you have, they will only be to happy to sort out for you.
Old 15-10-2011
Mad Member

Default WOW

Really wish the internet was around in the early years of my racing.

22 years away(was 18 then), and many things the same, and MANY things really NOT the same.
People, yes great as always, help, yes always, great. cars yes similar.
batts/motors/esc, wow, there different!

But just got back in the game and within 3 weeks, have a cougar sv, a cat sx2 and a cat sx3... wow, love em.
This chit chat is a great way to get to know the buggies i have bought.

Cheers people. keep up the good work./

Info is the best!
2013 & 2014 OOPLE INVERNATIONAL
BEER RACE RUNNER UP!

FEEDBACK LINK =