Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 01-01-2016

Default Should I jump or should I wait?

I'm a complete noob, having never laid hands on an r/c device of any sort. I have, however, wanted to get into this for a long time..just never seemed to somehow.

Now I have some spare pennies and a reduction in commitments on time, it's finally going to happen, with 10th off road being my chosen format.

I've posted in the fora for a couple of local clubs, and I'll be going along to their next events, one as early as this Sunday. My intentions was to hold off buying any kit until I'd spoken to a few people.

However, in my reading about over the last few days, I've narrowed a list of what buggies I most fancy. A key parameter for me is to buy new, or at least unbuilt. I want to gain the knowledge and understanding that building will bring, as part of my intro to the hobby.

Two of the biggest contenders at the moment, for me - and before I receive any advice from anyone - are the yz2 and the Losi 22.

Now, it turns out that the 3.0 version of the 22 is just recently out, and this means there are a couple of places doing good prices on the 2.0 version, to the point of making it about £100 cheaper than a yz2. However, stock levels are dwindling...

I realise that it's now an "old" model, but then, I'm not expecting to be driving competitively for a good while...and I fully expect to be bouncing it off walls, the floor, maybe even the ceiling, whilst I figure how to turn left when it's heading towards me...

I think I'm answering my own question as I type, but, do you think it would be a good idea to jump on this car at a decent price whilst it's available, or should I wait until I get some face to face advice?

It's only the low stock level that making me nervous, otherwise I'd wait for sure...
Old 01-01-2016
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

buy cheap, buy twice. you'll be wanting to replace the outgoing 22.2 for a more competitive car within a few months as you discover its limitations. The new losi 22.3 it looking to be a much better car, and of course the yz2 is an excellent choice.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-01-2016

Go along to a couple club meetings and see what others are running,and see what cars are popular and see what the spares back up is like.If there are a few of you running the same car ,some one might have that part you break...
Old 01-01-2016

Thanks guys, potential disaster averted
Old 01-01-2016

A good call is to buy a good used yz2 with spares,a very good strong,competitive car that won't be out of date for a good few years and won't break your bank.
Sworkz
Bury metro
Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy View Post
A good call is to buy a good used yz2 with spares,a very good strong,competitive car that won't be out of date for a good few years and won't break your bank.
Thanks Maddy, but it's important to me to build it myself. I'll probably get as much joy from a couple of days building the kit than from a year of running it...
Old 01-01-2016

I'd still go used just strip clean n rebuild what u get some bargain yz2s
Out there
Liars run for cover the truth is taking over!!!
Old 01-01-2016

Fair point!

I'll definitely keep that in mind!
Old 01-01-2016

Being from the Middleton area I would seriously consider the sworkz s12-1m its an excellent car and a good following at the clubs in your area
HB Racing D418
www.kandmacoustics.co.uk
Old 01-01-2016

Not even looked at that!

Now I'll have to...
Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post
Go along to a couple club meetings and see what others are running,and see what cars are popular and see what the spares back up is like.If there are a few of you running the same car ,some one might have that part you break...
This is the cheapest and best advice on offer. Also, I suggest making a list about everything people recommend (not just the car, batteries, charger, esc, motor transmitters, etc...) while you're there as you'll never remember everything!! and then you can research at your leisure.

Set a limit on speed too. It's easy to think you can drive fast just you've got all the latest gear. Slower is often faster, untill you're a pro.

Once you know what you're after keep an eye on here. I can't believe the bargains to be had.

Hope this helps, enjoy!!
Old 01-01-2016

As others have said I would suggest seeing what people are using at your local clubs before jumping in. I've raced a YZ-2 this year which has been a very good and reliable car. I've just bought a Losi 22 3.0 and I will be racing it for the first time this Sunday. I would suggest buying better radio gear second hand rather than cheaper new stuff.
Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
Being from the Middleton area I would seriously consider the sworkz s12-1m its an excellent car and a good following at the clubs in your area
Not racing myself ATM but I really like the look of that, it's like an RB6/YZ2 hybrid!!
Old 01-01-2016

Top contenders for me in that class are the xray xb2,yokomo yz2 and the schumacher kf2.thats my choice others may differ ,but as already suggested in thread go down to your local club and see whats popular there.the ones ive suggested most good model shops stock or can get parts for those models
Old 01-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretts View Post
Set a limit on speed too. It's easy to think you can drive fast just you've got all the latest gear. Slower is often faster, untill you're a pro.
What's the best way to do that? A high number motor? Or setting limits in the electronics (esc? Radio?)...or just don't press the trigger so hard?
Old 02-01-2016

Default Bury Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharma66 View Post
What's the best way to do that? A high number motor? Or setting limits in the electronics (esc? Radio?)...or just don't press the trigger so hard?
Dharma66, your title asked if you should jump in or wait? I'd say your very much at the wait and research stage right now.

It's been said before, the best advice is get down to a local club and speak to as many of the racers as you can. As your only down the road, Bury Metro is your local track and one of the best in the North West, (Yes I'm slightly biased, but many agree &#128522 We are currently indoors up at Counthill School, Oldham during the winter months. Our next meeting is on Sunday 31st January 16. Keep and eye on our thread in here and pay us a visit.

Pretty much everyone at the meeting will be willing to give you friendly and importantly free advice. 👍

Darren

Bury Metro Member http://www.bmrcc.co.uk/

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Still have my old Team Associated C4.1, Team C Evo and Yokomo Bmax4 just in case my lads take up the sport someday.
Old 07-01-2016

Location: on the bike, so probly at a petrol station or at side of road bodging

Quote:

Try not to get a silly fast motor, as the faster you go the more things break, if you race at a more technical track then the extra power may not be needed as there is too many corners slowing you down, I run a mild 13.5t brushless with fairly conservative gearing and have only ever broken a chassis plate (on obvious weak spot), in a year racing the same car(x factory x6)
-Ansmann master smacker (in bits)

-handmade 1/12 scale lorry (in bits)
-handmade 1/87 RC lorry

-1992 honda transalp (£700 bike, but that's ok as its a big V-twin)

Old 07-01-2016

Thanks again all.

I'm definitely holding off for now - it just seemed a bargain, but I take everyone's advice in hand.

I went along to Batley last weekend, but everyone seemed incredibly busy, so I just watched a while and didn't bother anyone.

I'll definitely be going to Bury on the 31st, so I'll see what goes on there, as it's definitely my most local club.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 08-01-2016

Don't be afraid to bother people; just go for it.

If the racers are (or seem!) busy head to race control (where the timing computer/PA system probably is) and introduce yourself to whoever is running the day, they can then introduce you to some racers.

Don't worry if the first person isn't very chatty, like any hobby every club has chatty/quiet members and you'll get some great advice by the end of the day
Old 08-01-2016

Default See you on 31st

Quote:
Thanks again all.

I'm definitely holding off for now - it just seemed a bargain, but I take everyone's advice in hand.

I went along to Batley last weekend, but everyone seemed incredibly busy, so I just watched a while and didn't bother anyone.

I'll definitely be going to Bury on the 31st, so I'll see what goes on there, as it's definitely my most local club.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Good advice to speak with the race controller. Ours happens to be an ex national driver who is very friendly and will definately point you in the right direction.
See you on the 31st 👍

Bury Metro Member http://www.bmrcc.co.uk/

Team Associated B6.1
Absima Team Driver
Still have my old Team Associated C4.1, Team C Evo and Yokomo Bmax4 just in case my lads take up the sport someday.