Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > SERPENT

Old 21-04-2017

Default srx2 mm or mh for grass

have just got a pair of srx2's, 4 gear mm and 3 gear laydown mh. debating which is going to be better on grass...... any hints??
Old 07-05-2017

Hi,

Depends on the grip levels. I'm messing around between 3 and 4 gear lay down and stand up with gear and ball differential.

Grip at some of the Scottish tracks can disappear quickly. A lot of folk were using upright gear boxes. I ran a 3 gear lay down with a gear diff and the car was very stable and predictable.

Stand up probably a bit safer in most conditions.
Old 07-05-2017

i've been messing a bit too now, actually finding the 3 gear laydown better than the 3 or 4 gear upright, even when grip has gone down as the car feels more balanced. i'm running ball diff though, always find ball diff better in 2wd's. i see you have the cobra srx as well in your sig. how do you find it, i had a cobra chassis and most parts in the package i bought
Old 07-05-2017

Prior to buying the MH I picked up an SRX2 and SRX4 used with a ton of spares.

The cobra chassis is excellent. I haven't had much running with it yet. The 4wd rear end is very punchy out if the corners. The MH is much smoother - I agree. It is very balanced as a chassis. I need to spend a weekend running 3 and 4 gear lay down then the next day running upright on the same track.

I have been messing about with conical pistons and drilling my own.

I had ran indoor with 3 gear lay down on a mixed carpet a polished wooden floor. Lay down was ok but didn't work with a gear diff. Ball diff was better moving the shocks backwards.
Ended up running 3 gear stand up with a gear diff at a later date and had 1300wt oil in the diff. It worked a treat.

Indoor on carpet the stand up had too much grip.
Old 09-05-2017

smoother is what i need!! finished putting the cobra car together at the weekend so will give it a try at club tomorrow night. i havent even looked at messing with pistons, shocks on mine are very good anyway for our track, i am however going to try the rear shocks on front of the tower, just to see what difference it makes. not had the serpent long but getting there with it now, big difference to the homebrew i was running before
Old 11-05-2017

Cool. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Cobra and how your one looks compared to mine.

I'm planning some mods ��
Old 13-05-2017

my kind of man!!! i modify everything, well known for it, thats where the dodgydiy comes from!
tried a few bits out on wednesday night, grass is quite worn at the moment as we had a wrca round a couple of weeks ago so was good test. found shocks on front was a little better than shocks on rear with the 3 gear laydown, was easier to catch when it stepped out under power. cobra was ok, needs a little work i think, good drive out of corners but too much understeer at the moment. 3 gear upright had loads of drive out of the corners, but wouldnt carry anywhere near as much corner speed as the laydown. will have to get a couple of photo's up. settled on my electrical layout now too, cars definately easier to drive as it is now
Old 13-05-2017

Excellent. Love playing around and creating things.

On a very loose track the 3 gear lay down shock to the front was very stable and consistent.

Most others had upright gear box cars or fitted the different gearbox during the day.

I've had a glitch with one of the ESCs so the Cobra will get a rest for a bit.

I'll try and get some pictures linked on her or if you DMCC me I can talk set ups via email etc