Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 11-08-2014

I like big teacks woth big jumps however
I also like small tracks with small jumps and ruts and bumps
Ok you need two cars set up differently but they are two different styles and both have their merits
Old 11-08-2014
Mad Member

If those big jumps didn't exist, I would be tempted to return to Off-Road for some 2WD action, a class I really enjoyed back in the day. Driving skill does not include a pilots ability to trim an aircraft in flight in my world.

More importantly, new drivers must find them very intimidating as they cannot learn driving skills with the wheels off the ground, only the skills of shelling out for spares and rebuilding the car - not what we came into this hobby to enjoy!

As James says it is not the up bit that matters, it is the landing. Look at a major rally stage where the car takes big air - it isn't height it is length, and the landing areas are long, wide and flat. Correctly designed, a feature that gives a car 20 feet in the air only a foot above the ground means that the lesser driver can do it along the ground by slowing down, and the better drivers can give it beans for a fast time. Simple, straight no big risks to take for driver or marshal.

It seems from James' post that a visit to RHR might be in order for someone looking for some 2WD action in the summer months!
Old 11-08-2014

I think the percentage of breakages due to crashes and wear and tear around the track heavily outwiegh that done on jumps.
I can understand if a ramp is a bit oversized or angled as to make it difficult but isnt that the idea to make it a challenge for the pros and a learning curve for the novice, of course blowing a jump out of proportion is pointless as slowone said long and low or make it slow and high as long as the landing is suitable, slapping your buggy down on the flat from a height 2 metres passed the landing to me says something isnt right
Old 11-08-2014
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Our tracks have become pretty dull recently not due to having no large jumps, but because of the stupid velcro like astroturf that seems to be slowly infecting everywhere. That combined with a generally rough surface makes it more a case of getting the car just safe enough to still be fast and trying to plod round at 25% - hoping the car's not going to spit itself off the track because you went 1 inch further to the right/left this lap.

That 2011 Worlds video is a bad example of arguing the case for big jumps, the quad in front of the rostrum was horrible with a downside on the 4th jump that was shorter/steeper than the takeoff. You could just about hit it but you had to hit the same distance to within about 6 inches, which even the slightest gust of wind would affect no matter how good you are!
Old 12-08-2014
Mad Member

Doesn't help that the cars are getting faster and faster.

An 8th scale nitro sized track from 10 years ago is now too small for a 10th 2wd, the jumps that no one would have been able to clear in a car of the next scale down are now merely features on the track surface.
Old 12-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
Our tracks have become pretty dull recently
Yes I agree, but not how u may think..!

Long straight sections & high Jumps just don't cut it anymore...

A track should be technically challenging and not just point n squirt!

Tracks should have Numerous small features, track surface and terrain changes, varying degrees of bends and corners and a single, signature element such as a crossover is way better IMO...

Going fast and jumping high isn't challenging any more it's boring...! We need to make drivers think and plan their way around a circuit, make it stimulating to all our senses...

Hhmm... Maybe I'm getting old..?!
Old 12-08-2014

at Benfield rc club we make the track tighter and harder to negotiate with the effect of making the driver work harder so that on the regulated tracks it becomes easier, I know its harder for the newer drivers as we promote newer younger drivers in our club actively but we aim to increase there skills and hopefully give them an enjoyable experience.

its not called 1/10 OFF ROAD for nothing !
Old 12-08-2014

It is not about big jump. track surface do matter, I liked the track that has various surfaces (wood sheet, polished gym floor, high/low grip carpets) rather than 100% astroturf all way around.
Old 12-08-2014

I must admit i like all tracks.

rhr dirt has more about it jump wise and very fun and they are acheivable and very satisfying!

Astro is great all weather just about anyway not monsoons

Slippy tests throttle control rather than throttle jamming, rhr dirt and worksop great examples with 2wd

My only down i feel coming back to racing a few years now is the adaptability, tracks are forced to be the same surface everywhere or as much as poss, and its same all day. Thats my only view and why i like our two grass rounds. Grass just gave alternative surfaces each corner and changed per run. Then you had to adapt and use more skill id say but in a different way.

I dont dislike any track i just like change.

Shelf queens Losi XX4 Worlds, XX-CR

Mid East Regionals - F3

Trader Feedback
Old 12-08-2014

I like this with a shorter main straight and bigger width :

http://youtu.be/jTFXwlaj6NY (JMRCA 1990 2wd final)

plus a long but close to the ground jump as someone mentioned earlier
Less pressure to get it absolutely right , lots of sliding ,less strain on the cars (equals more affordable cars esp 4wd ) , less time lost when you get marshaled ad the occasional FF or oddball Rwd buggy thrown in with no embarrassment because it can't succeed in the analogy of jumping a full scale rally car over a small river each and every time, each and every lap

I see this 2011 worlds jump - stressful it must have been for drivers whose salary/bonuses are directly related to mistakes on taking that jump.

Optional Parts & Car kits
Old 12-08-2014

Why not keep the current tracks but use controled slower motors. With everyone on the same speed level it should make the racing better.I know that this isn't an option that would work at every track.
Old 13-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Why not keep the current tracks but use controled slower motors. With everyone on the same speed level it should make the racing better.I know that this isn't an option that would work at every track.
That is stock or blinky racing which is popular in the USA. There is a big thread on RC Tech about cheating on motors in the 17.5 stock racing scene. No clue if there is or isn't but I sure as hell don't want anything to do with any racing where cheating becomes a reality or even a possibility.

The beauty of mod motor is who cares what kit you have, its all down to skills and the best drivers come out on top and the heats make sure you are in a final appropriate to your skills.
Old 13-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex97 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
That is stock or blinky racing which is popular in the USA. There is a big thread on RC Tech about cheating on motors in the 17.5 stock racing scene. No clue if there is or isn't but I sure as hell don't want anything to do with any racing where cheating becomes a reality or even a possibility.

The beauty of mod motor is who cares what kit you have, its all down to skills and the best drivers come out on top and the heats make sure you are in a final appropriate to your skills.
I have to say i'm in agreement with cutting42 on this. Growing up in the '80s, RC car racing was so expensive in relative terms that if you were a teenager you just couldn't afford to upgrade the car.

When I was 13 in 1987 I did everything the hobby industry told me to do, bought a kit/radio etc and built it in my room while all my mates were out getting p!ssed in bus shelters but thanks to Beatties being such a bunch of ripoff merchants no-one my age could afford the "ball bearings, CVA shock unit set and super hot RX540VZ (pronounced "vee-zee" for those who were there at the time) Technigold motor" shown in the Tamiya videos running in an endless loop from 9am until 5.30pm, and all our cars just got slower and slower as the silver can 540 motors wore out. How depressing. How dreary. How British.

This had a profound effect on me and I promised myself that one day i'd have an RC car with more power than I could possibly use. Consequently that's one of the main things that draws me to the hobby to this day, the fact that unlike in real life you can have a car with an absurd power-to-weight ratio and completely unrealistic (but fun) levels of performance and I want to keep it that way.

I'm not a crazy driver but I see plenty of people with more talent than me who are able to lap faster with less power so good luck to them, but trouser-fillingly fast is the way I like it, it's kind of like owning a CR500 without the inconvenience of hospital food
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

I can even remember a conversation with a club mate about how to open a sealed 27t can and upgrade without getting found out.
Rewinding, better magnets, tweaked timing, them how to reseal the motor so it looked box fresh.
Not to mention the guys who would buy a box full, find the best one or two then sell the rest on. This still happens in Scalextric, but isn't really a big deal, as the motors are only a fiver a pop.

Blinky or sealed can isn't really the best option, it's an option, but there are better ways of doing it.
Old 13-08-2014
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTSHOT III View Post
This had a profound effect on me and I promised myself that one day i'd have an RC car with more power than I could possibly use. Consequently that's one of the main things that draws me to the hobby to this day, the fact that unlike in real life you can have a car with an absurd power-to-weight ratio and completely unrealistic (but fun) levels of performance and I want to keep it that way.

I'm not a crazy driver but I see plenty of people with more talent than me who are able to lap faster with less power so good luck to them, but trouser-fillingly fast is the way I like it, it's kind of like owning a CR500 without the inconvenience of hospital food
Sorry but surely this is the main problem !

Drivers would rather have an undriveable rocket ship than a more controllable and over a full lap a faster car !

When I started an indoor on road club 10 years ago, we wanted to start a junior heat with control electronics to help the youngsters into the sport/hobby, many of the parents objected because they thought their 6 year old could handle the same car setup they could as adults.

To much Power just leads to an uncontrollable crash at the end of the straight or in our world at the bottom of an over enlarged set of jumps.

We first need to be able to control our cars before we press the nitrous bottle switch !

Just IMHO
Support from: My Back Pocket

Driver - 'Derek'
Feedback Link : http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48311
Old 13-08-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post

Drivers would rather have an undriveable rocket ship than a more controllable and over a full lap a faster car !

When I started an indoor on road club 10 years ago, we wanted to start a junior heat with control electronics to help the youngsters into the sport/hobby, many of the parents objected because they thought their 6 year old could handle the same car setup they could as adults.

To much Power just leads to an uncontrollable crash at the end of the straight or in our world at the bottom of an over enlarged set of jumps.

We first need to be able to control our cars before we press the nitrous bottle switch !

Just IMHO
Up to a point I actually agree with you, anyone who knows me will tell you that while i'm not the fastest driver, i'm not slow either and I don't really have a reputation for crashing significantly more than anyone else. I'm not gung-ho, I try to drive as carefully as I realistically can but at the end of the day I want the hobby to be fun

I do take your point though, it's true that when you have less power or you know you don't have any spares with you it can sometimes improve your driving.

Respect your opinion mate, like I said on page 1 this is an interesting topic
Old 13-08-2014
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post

Just IMHO
then educate your drivers, don't impose limits on those who know what their capabilities are and choose a motor to suit.
a spec class only means driver push their equipment to the limit, and when a new speedo/motor is released everyone buys it to see if its quicker. my motor in my buggy is over 3 years old and still fast enough for me.
too much power does not lead to a crash, the driver going too fast leads to the crash
Old 13-08-2014
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It's not the jump thats usually the problem, its the landing.

Too many times you see down-ramps that are far to short.. Downramps need to be huge - Wide and very long.. And not into a sharp braking zone as you basically have parked cars waiting for you when you land, you need them into a nice piece of flowing track.
Totally agree with James.
The down ramps are normally the issue and where the jumps are actually positioned.
The lead up to jumps is also important

Basically get someone that knows what they are doing and the track could simply be amazing with some big jumps.
Just don't forget the major ingredient which is key.
You have to be able to 'RACE' on the track. Don't make it an obstacle course.

Just my opinion, bigger jumps please!!
Old 13-08-2014

agree with the above really especially after racing at rhr last weekend. The dirt track is amazing (my first go at 10th dirt) after that i honestly wish there was more dirt\clay tracks. Imo, proper off road tracks! IM envious of the guys in the states very much so now, its a shame we cant get clay tracks under roofs like the yanks have.
Moody fools
Richpaint
Gmcc
Old 13-08-2014

I think RHRD is the perfect example of how a UK off road track should be. today's off road tracks are bland and to be honest, boring as! I know we don’t have the facilities like they do in the states or like RHR do, I’m not saying every track should be like RHR but they did get it right in the design ;-).
and as for it not being good for introducing new blood, doesn’t racing on a proper 3d track ( not just big jumps but elevation changes as well) seem more appealing than a flat grass/astro track with a few wooden bits chucked in? the PlayStation generation of today will soon pick up the skills required for jump style racing so I wouldn’t worry about that :-)