Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 27-10-2005

Default Slipper Stuff

I have a XXX at the mo and seem to have loads of prob's getting decent acceleration, ie it dont pick up reet quick. I've had the slipper off and replaced the pads. Now, when I took it apart there was just the one pad on which is different from the manual which shows one each side. I've put brand new pads in and refitted but just how tight is the nut meant to be?

I have tried tight and loose and results vary from not moving to sluggish....

Appreciate this is isnt a dear dierdre page but if someone can help me along, cos b4 this I've only had 12th and tourers, it would be the cat's pyjamas.
Old 27-10-2005
Administrator

hmm, with both new pads on, its still slipping like a git ?
i dont think theres much to the losi slipper, only thing i can think it has more than the B4 slipper is a plastic washer / spacer or something, have you got that in there ?

I run the slipper quite tight, only use it to absorb shock when it lands off jumps and the like.
if you stick the car on yer lap and put yer arm across it to clamp the rear tyres, then try move the spur with your thumb, it should be really hard but possible (it should slip before the diff slips)

If your slipper is built right, then it sounds like the diff, the diff should never slip.

Its hard to say much more without seeing it tho!

:bounce:
Old 27-10-2005

Send a message via MSN to nick oliver

Sorry to take it off topic bit but my dad rebulit my motor (skimmed etc) put it back in the car and put the timing the oppsite way round, So this made it real slow when accerating maybe this is what you could of done, But dout ur as dum as my dad lol Nick.
Oswestry RCC
Old 27-10-2005

Default HHmmm

I've had nowt but bad luck with this car..If not well, Maybe it's time to chuck in the towel and get a 4wd instead.

Cheers for the advice I'll give it a go.
Old 12-01-2006

Send a message via MSN to darryl

losi dan
found the problem with the slipper (sort of)i had a word with chris doughty and he suggested using light wet and dry on the slipper plates and stretching the slipper spring,also shimming up behind the rear plate as it had a bit of drag on the motor plate,after doing that the slipper is a lot better but not perfect,looking at the slipper plates up close up there are some deepish scores on both plates which could result in the pads not making full contact on the plates,so if anyone has some old xxx slipper plates that they dont need so i can try with them to see if my assumption is right before spending out on some new ones it would be much appreciated
thanks
darryl
tenth technology predator xk98
Old 12-01-2006
Super Moderator

So your back then Darryl!
Old 13-01-2006

i am graham,will be back at york this saturday,only running in 540 though,breaking myself back in nice and gently :wink:
Old 13-01-2006

As Jimmy said, it may well be the diff that is too slack. You should tighten the spring right up on the slipper, then hold the right rear wheel and spur gear with one hand and try to turn the left rear wheel with your other. It should be very difficult to move. If it moves too easily, the diff is too slack and requires tightening.

If you can bring it to Batley on Sunday, i'm sure some kind soul will have a look at it for you and advise what to do.

Darryl, can you remember when i told you to have a good long break before you came back - so I might be able to beat you? You've come back about 5 years too soon ops: :roll:

Chris
Old 13-01-2006

I've only just seen that Dan was having these problems in October ops: - I take it Mr Turnbull is the proud owner now then?

Chris
Old 13-01-2006
Administrator

welcome back darryl, now vickys started racing with her b4 and 540 motor, if we ever come over to york for a club night you best watch yourself..
you've not too much to fear tho
Old 13-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislee
I've only just seen that Dan was having these problems in October ops: - I take it Mr Turnbull is the proud owner now then?

Chris
five years to early :? ,well chris theres only so many weekends you can take with a wife and 2 kids :wink: so i thought its about time i had my own space again on a saturday night hence start racing again ,andd yes i am the new owner,who's was it before losi dan,gave it a good strip down and rebuild and the diff is spot on,just cant fathem out the slipper as i said in a previous post i think the slipper plates are the problem,but could be wrong
Old 13-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
welcome back darryl, now vickys started racing with her b4 and 540 motor, if we ever come over to york for a club night you best watch yourself..
you've not too much to fear tho
thanks jimmy
i'll give mrs 0ople a race if you venture over to york sometime
but once i get this slipper sorted i may whack a mod in it,trying a steerwheel radio on saturday so that would be the best time for vicky to race me :wink: ,as i may get a bit unstuck to begin with,espescially braking ops:
Old 13-01-2006

can anyone tell me please which side of the gear box the diff screw should be,is it facing the layshaft or the motor thanks
darryl
Old 13-01-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

looking from the rear of the car it should be on the right side, so facing the layshaft
Old 13-01-2006
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRotheram
looking from the rear of the car it should be on the right side, so facing the layshaft
That is only true on associated cars but on the Losi diff, looking at the car from back to front the screw should be on the LEFT side (the same side as the motor) NOT THE RIGHT SIDE

:idea: Another thing you might want to check is, is the threaded rod in the layshaft all the way in :?: :?: Also see if your slipper plates are flat. Sounds a little odd but I recently had to change both on my BK2 for this reason.
Check that the yellow slipper pads locating lugs are are not damaged or worn away.

Try those things and if they don't help buy a new gearbox :P :twisted:

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

whoops ops:

forgot my losi one was on the left :x

its got me thinking though, how come there on opposite sides? i mean the screws both thread the same way and are build nearly the same way, how come ones on the left and ones on the right :?

edit: i even said my losi one was on the right and had to edit it, idiot :?
Old 13-01-2006

thanks guys,both right,you got there in the end paul ,the reason losi dan never got it running right was because the diff was the wrong way round,even i made the same mistake when rebuilding it ops: ,but all is back as it should be and the slipper is adjusted perfect 8)
Old 15-01-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl
thanks guys,both right,you got there in the end paul ,the reason losi dan never got it running right was because the diff was the wrong way round,even i made the same mistake when rebuilding it ops: ,but all is back as it should be and the slipper is adjusted perfect 8)
hi darryl glad you got it running mate to be honest with you I never had the diff apart. I had a go with the slipper and put new pad in.
FYI I never gave up on the car just never got around to looking at it again cos I is a lazy git.
Gonna get me a new car in the summer a 4wd. I got it off racingmart for cheap money (more than I sold it for but who gives a....) so I guess the guy who had it before put it together like that as he said it was in bits and he put it together to flog it to me.
Old 16-01-2006

hi dan mate,good luck for when you get your 4wd,may see you around then in the summer if you are going to have a go at regionals,i did say i wasnt going to do them anymore,but now the losi is running fine and i have had ago with a sealed can motor,it maybe time to upgrade to some decent batteries and slap a mod back in :twisted: ,but not at the mo,i'll just have a few more weeks tootleing around at a mundane pace