Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 25-01-2014

Yes it is an RTR thing, my truck was just the same .. just buy another set of the smaller gears and pop a pair in .. personally I'd stick with steel gears .. the gear diff is lighter than the ball diff anyway !!

On a side note, I've been working with the geared diff determined to make it work for me ... in my truck it works a treat even on slippy astro with light 5000cst oil .. but the buggy is a different animal .. been working my way UP the oils ... and finally found a oil that makes it feel the same as a ball diff .. on the bench at least .. 12000 is where we're at and looking forward to trying it out at our next club meeting
Old 28-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post
Yes it is an RTR thing, my truck was just the same .. just buy another set of the smaller gears and pop a pair in .. personally I'd stick with steel gears .. the gear diff is lighter than the ball diff anyway !!

On a side note, I've been working with the geared diff determined to make it work for me ... in my truck it works a treat even on slippy astro with light 5000cst oil .. but the buggy is a different animal .. been working my way UP the oils ... and finally found a oil that makes it feel the same as a ball diff .. on the bench at least .. 12000 is where we're at and looking forward to trying it out at our next club meeting
I totally agree with you. On slippery surfaces you need to step up the oils. Tried it on med bite clay with 10k vs the ball diff, the ball is more aggressive, but the gear diff is just easier to drive and lay down the power on exit, but it will push more on exit which is sometimes a good thing. Normally I find the gear diff works well using between 5-10k. Thinner for more steering and when the grip comes up. Thicker when traction is reduced.
Old 30-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeedy View Post

it mite not work like that as gear diffs and ball diffs work differently,

from what i have found, the ball diff will give you more grip on slippy surfaces, it doesnt give you as much punch which is probably why it feels grippier!

the gear diff works better in high traction conditions as it gives more punch out of the corner, when you have plenty of traction this is good!

i found on medium traction surfaces if you can get the gear diff to work it can be faster, in these situations i will run usually 2k oil or sometimes lighter, so that it is light enough to help generate grip and also give steering, whilst still pretty punchy but controllable out of the corner!

if the oil is too thick it will feel like a solid drive, which will give on power push, less steering, lots of forward traction if there is grip, and spin out if in med to low traction conditions!

but you need to find out what works for you!