Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 13-04-2019

Default New car, or stick with old one?

After some advice.
I’m an occasional club racer who’s probably of lower mid level driving ability, despite being involved on and off in the hobby for many years.
I love driving, and I love tinkering with cars, but I’ve never really got to grips with set-ups.
I have a few vintage cars I like using, but the car I use the most is not quite classed as vintage yet, although it’s pretty old. I still run an X-factory X6 squared. For those that don’t remember the car, it’s basically a mid motor conversion of an Associated B4. I have a ton of spares for the car, more than enough to build another and keep me going for ages, so spares are not a concern.
I’m struggling to get it to handle, in fact it’s been pretty undrivable the last couple of outings. I’ve had a bit of advise here and there, and as a result changed things setup wise and it’s definitely got better, but still not great. I know it’s a capable car, but not as I currently have it.
So my question is. Should I go get a new car, such as a B6.1 where set-up advise is far easier to come about, and being a more modern car it ought to go better. Or stick with what I have, save spending the money on a new car and keep trying to get to grips with setup?
I like the idea of beating more modern cars with my old classic, but at the moment it’s not really working out that way.

Appreciate advice of stick with old, or get new and you’ll enjoy it more kind of thing. But please don’t turn it into a thread of you should buy this or that brand etc. Just interested in keep the old or get a modern car.
Old 13-04-2019
Gypsy Member

New car (or 2nd hand b6.1 @£200 ish), even from 4 or 5 years ago cars have moved on, the b6.1 is so planted. i've returned recently and i love mine, they don't need much tweaking. and obviously spares are readily available

Last edited by johnnygibbon; 13-04-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 13-04-2019

Default New car

I do like the idea of running an older car and beating the new ones!! Altho think you have to be really skillfull as the new cars are much more advanced.
You could go half way house if you didn’t want to break the bank, B6 rather than a 6.1, Kyosho RB6.6 rather than a 7, can pick second hand ones up reasonable. So you’d still be beating folks with an older car, but it’s not old enough to be a handful.
Jonny
Old 13-04-2019
Mad Member

Have you looked on petitrc for x6 setups? The car should handle ok for a club driver, yes probably won’t be as quick as the latest generation 2wd but shouldn’t be undriveable. .

Spares are going to be the biggest issue going forward as already said but as long as nothing is broken/bent and it has a decent setup, it should be respectable for club racing.

If you do decide to change, try to have a go with someone else’s before you make a decision and if a particular brand is popular at your club, gravitate towards that brand...

Last edited by /tobys; 13-04-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 14-04-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonro7 View Post
I do like the idea of running an older car and beating the new ones!! Altho think you have to be really skillfull as the new cars are much more advanced.
You could go half way house if you didn’t want to break the bank, B6 rather than a 6.1, Kyosho RB6.6 rather than a 7, can pick second hand ones up reasonable. So you’d still be beating folks with an older car, but it’s not old enough to be a handful.
Jonny
I still run a B6 and its competitive still
Old 14-04-2019
Mad Member

I've been thinking the same. I haven't the foggiest when it comes to setup so I may just get the car nearly everyone else uses at bury a 6.1. Then if I'm still crap after setting it up the same I may as well just jack it in
Old 15-04-2019

I would say that if you run a car that is different to everyone else’s where you race, be prepared to be on your own when it comes to set up and spares. Some people like to run odd ball cars which is cool, but it’s difficult to help those people when you have no experience of said car.
The latest cars are all of an excellent standard and there is plenty of information out there on each platform. Most of them will just work to a certain level at most tracks. This takes some of the hassle of set up out for you and you can enjoy driving it again.
Why struggle if you don’t have to is my thought

Rob
Old 17-04-2019

it does depend why you are racing, if you just enjoy driving round then doesnt matter what you use as long as you enjoy it, if you dont know about setup have a look at the hudy guide as a starter, just make changes from race to race and see if you can improve it - if you are wanting to be more competitive then you would need a more modern car to make it easier to go faster.

newer cars are easier to setup and easier to drive but are they as much fun? its quite satisfying running 25 year old cars and beating (some of) the new ones.