Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 23-03-2006
Administrator

Default Lowe Shells

I dont paint shells for people! honest. But for a spot of fun (!) I did these two for oOple super star Rich Lowe.

This is the BJ Worlds with the blue applied and the masking on for the rest still.

This is the end result.
There are about 3 different blues in there yellow, transparent red, chrome and silver and charcoal pearl.
For a laugh, I did 100% of cutting on the plotter, none at all on the shell. so the lines are impossibly clean.. the problem was the 5 hours of masking (with creating the masks etc). hmmmmmm.. dont think i'll be doing it this way again..

The window masks / borders I put up the other day worked really well on these shells, in fact, perfect. Richard wanted consistent clean THIN window borders and thats why I came up with this idea.

Never painted a shell without it being cut out before, anyone else do it that way?, so hope it doesnt get destroyed when cutting. I would have cut them out but just aint had the time so ill let rich do it..
Old 23-03-2006
Administrator

A close up

Old 23-03-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

looks good jimmy!

nearly as good as mine
Old 23-03-2006
Administrator

I never wanna paint another shell as long as i live!
Old 23-03-2006
Grammarator

Send a message via Skype™ to emzy

But... what about my B4?

*runs and hides*
Old 23-03-2006
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Cheers for this Jimmy they came out great, the chrome bits look well snazzy!

I'll try my best not to scratch them
Old 24-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
I never wanna paint another shell as long as i live!
£100 says you will next year… ha ha

You do paint a mean looking shell Jimmy, they are always very smart indeed, so good you'd worry about using them on the track!
Old 24-03-2006
Administrator

lol, I have to say, I spend far too long and im far too fussy about these things.
Old 24-03-2006
Spends too long on oOple ...

Thats very smart dude, very smart, I like the blue, looks like afasescent blue backed with either silver or chrome to give it a bit of bling.

Only thing missing is some drop shadows on the custard blobs,lol.

Now, can I post a pic up??

http://academyracer.fotopic.net/c899120.html

http://academyracer.fotopic.net/c899120.html
Old 24-03-2006
Administrator

Im not sure what the blue is really lol.. its charcoal in the creases, then some sort of irridescent blue createx (thanks for that link btw) which is lovely but a bit dark... then the rest of the blue is faskolor metallic blue but also with a some pearl silver mixed in.. hard to explain really ,but a biit of mixing of paints going on which ive forgotten about.

hehe, aye the custard (lol) could have stood a bit more shading / hilites maybe but to be honest i was paranoid about stuffing it up so was playing safe! kept the shading to a minimum, it is there, just barely.!

The Hilites work quite well on yours, are they brushed on ? I tried that with vickys but i couldnt get the paint opaque enough without going over it again and again..
I think I'd need more experience before I can do the shading like on yours, im just scared of knackering it all up.
Old 24-03-2006
Administrator

bah! the more I look at it now, the more I can see how much it needs some shading on the custard.. you are a bad one Steve! lol
Old 24-03-2006

sorry dude, you will know for next time... heeheee... I far prefer the freehand aproach when spraying, and the need for masking, but I just love drop shadows and highlights.... on the shell I posted, the rear is a purple flip, over sprayed with a Fasblue then FasChrome than black (all with a drop shadow).

The blue blobs were Fasblue, layered up heavier in places to represent the colour change as a blobs meniscus drops away, then on the lower sides of the blobs, the blue was backed with black, then the yellow overlaid the blue and faded out at the front, then the whole lot backed with white then Faschrome...

Spent lots of time washing me airbrush out... pmsl... also did little window surround bolts on the frames.

All good fun though, must find a mask that works with my glasses though, fed up of nasty coloured boogies.

One of them vynil cutters looks good though, gonna have to let me in on how much they cost dude.
Old 24-03-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
Im not sure what the blue is really lol.. its charcoal in the creases, then some sort of irridescent blue createx (thanks for that link btw) which is lovely but a bit dark... then the rest of the blue is faskolor metallic blue but also with a some pearl silver mixed in.. hard to explain really ,but a biit of mixing of paints going on which ive forgotten about.

hehe, aye the custard (lol) could have stood a bit more shading / hilites maybe but to be honest i was paranoid about stuffing it up so was playing safe! kept the shading to a minimum, it is there, just barely.!

The Hilites work quite well on yours, are they brushed on ? I tried that with vickys but i couldnt get the paint opaque enough without going over it again and again..
I think I'd need more experience before I can do the shading like on yours, im just scared of knackering it all up.
Jim, get some OHP clear sheets to practice on, thats what I do (when I got the time.... real flames are the next on the list...).

If you want jim, PM me and Iwill give you me phone number and I can go over it with you, I must admit though, since going over to a gravity feed brush, drop shadows have got far easier, I think I have halved my air pressure.
Old 24-03-2006

this was my first paint with an airbrush, I even tried the shadow efect, doesent look that bad from far away

Old 25-03-2006

Not bad for a first atempt, Faskolor paint?
Old 25-03-2006

Yes, I used Faskolor paint, its a lot more fun then spray cans
Old 25-03-2006

tis a good paint when you work it out, I use predominantly Faskolor, only time I use something else, is if someone want chrome.
Old 27-03-2006
Administrator

Well done to richard who finished 3rd in the 4wd at the Indoor finals and somewhere top 10 in the 2wd, dont remember where off hand.

Old 27-03-2006
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

check them evil mats out in the background!

eeeviiiilllllllll!