Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Xtreme - VEGA

Old 10-08-2018

Default Patents and Moldings

Hello,

Has anyone confirmed that the previous ”owner” of the TTech name, has sold the patents/rights etc and molds?

I find it quite odd that with the demise of the company, they would take all intellectual property relating to this legendary brand/car.

Has this occured or does someone own the rights now?
Old 10-08-2018
Mad Member

There is a woman on Facebook can't remember here name that was selling all the stock before the website disappeared. Peaky will know her name. Did check for you but couldn't find it. Looked like a pro when I looked a while back
Old 11-08-2018

The woman who was selling the parts on Facebook was Yanina, wife of owner of Team Xtreme.

Hello Ron, nice to see you still around

On everything asked.... loooooooooong story there

I went into it In detail, as did a few others. It’s all a moot point now though tbh.

As a few people know, I re-tooled all the x11 plastic/composite parts years ago ( all updated over the originals ) bar the chassis, did a lot of testing, some with Northy ( my new parts were/are much improved in numerous areas ) and was going to offer them for sale - then the Pred values went through the roof, people stopped running them and they have almost turned into pension investments lol... So I never bothered. I had also managed to find another ball diff to fit the car, and on Northys insistence I was just starting to manufacture a better prop shaft & slipper, and adapt a another manufacturers gear diff into it when I stopped.

Plan was to offer my new parts to keep people’s Preds running, then move onto the X13 & 14 which I had designed on paper but never got further with.

I made two new x11 Evo prototypes, I have the only fully-modded one, Northy has another which is a part-modded one. Easily noticeable, they are mostly all-white Preds.

I’ve spoken with numerous people over the years - some still active on oople - about either buying TX and/or re-launching the Pred which is possible of course, but you would need a fair amount of dosh to do so successfully. You could cobble something together on a limited budget, but if your going to do it, do it right.

There is a ‘new’ laydown suspension buggy being launched soon-ish apparently, and sounds brilliant if it works as well as it sounds. And it has some similar sounding features that I wanted to put into later Pred versions as well. Great minds think alike ! Hopefully it will be a cracker and work well from the box. Here’s hoping.

Last edited by Dyna; 11-08-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-08-2018

Send a message via MSN to restimax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyna View Post
The woman who was selling the parts on Facebook was Yanina, wife of owner of Team Xtreme.

Hello Ron, nice to see you still around

On everything asked.... loooooooooong story there

I went into it In detail, as did a few others. It’s all a moot point now though tbh.

As a few people know, I re-tooled all the x11 plastic/composite parts years ago ( all updated over the originals ) bar the chassis, did a lot of testing, some with Northy ( my new parts were/are much improved in numerous areas ) and was going to offer them for sale - then the Pred values went through the roof, people stopped running them and they have almost turned into pension investments lol... So I never bothered. I had also managed to find another ball diff to fit the car, and on Northys insistence I was just starting to manufacture a better prop shaft & slipper, and adapt a another manufacturers gear diff into it when I stopped.

Plan was to offer my new parts to keep people’s Preds running, then move onto the X13 & 14 which I had designed on paper but never got further with.

I made two new x11 Evo prototypes, I have the only fully-modded one, Northy has another which is a part-modded one. Easily noticeable, they are mostly all-white Preds.

I’ve spoken with numerous people over the years - some still active on oople - about either buying TX and/or re-launching the Pred which is possible of course, but you would need a fair amount of dosh to do so successfully. You could cobble something together on a limited budget, but if your going to do it, do it right.

There is a ‘new’ laydown suspension buggy being launched soon-ish apparently, and sounds brilliant if it works as well as it sounds. And it has some similar sounding features that I wanted to put into later Pred versions as well. Great minds think alike ! Hopefully it will be a cracker and work well from the box. Here’s hoping.

explain this new parts, i use again my x11, i mod all transmission, for use the diff of team c. but if you have other project i'm interest.
Old 11-08-2018
Mad Member

Wow dyna interesting stuff sounds like you spent a lot of time and money on it

What's this new laydown car called?
Old 11-08-2018

Hi Dyna!

Yes still around at times, not too much happens these days as I live in Sweden and well.... the weather

Extremely interesting and thanks for the information. I find it unbelievable that the name has been left the way it has. I wonder what RW thinks of it all.

Be that as it may, the issue is the naming and the patents/intellectual property right? It cant be a Predator and it cant carry Tenth Technology. To me thats a big deal.

Where to go from here I dont know.. Absolutely it can be done with the right strategy (and a good deal of funds to get molds made, manufacturers found etc etc) but the last thing anyone wants is to ”do a JQ” for example or infact, the whole Team Xtreme disaster.. I mean come on, Team Xtreme? Worst, absolute worst name and company ever. They were never going to be long term.

Anyway, always keen on details with this and with the right time and as I said, being blento keep the name, it can be successful no doubt. The world of RC 1/10th is now made for this car, with TC astro tracks...
Old 11-08-2018
Mad Member

Wonder what she did with all the parts that were still available on the website before it vanished. There were thousands of them.
Old 11-08-2018
Mad Member

they ran it into the ground unfortunately.

I feel a kickstarter campaign coming for a new pred!!!
Old 12-08-2018

I dont think any kind of kickstarter will help of they wont release the patents and rights to ise the name..in my opinion of course
Old 12-08-2018
Mad Member

Who actually owns them?
Old 13-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
I dont think any kind of kickstarter will help of they wont release the patents and rights to ise the name..in my opinion of course
Ron, there are no active Patents on the Pred design, and no current active design rights anymore.

On the 'other' laydown suspension car being developed atm, go on facebook and search for 'MRO racing' and the 'Inspire 4' buggy for more info.

No i don't have any connection to him - don't even know him tbh - but ive heard hes a damn good driver and has done some popular Durango conversions in the past. I'm sure loads of people reading this will know him though. And it looks as though he will also do a Kickstarter to fund it.

Hopefully though he will have studied and learnt from the mistakes of TTech & most importantly Team Xtreme - i.e. don't design or take on a cracking, unique car, then add to it by making some cracking conversions ( the Vega's which were awesome ) then Right Royaly f*ck it completely up with piss-poor communication & after sales service.

I can see how it happened though. People interested in doing things like this generally get the design/engineering/tooling/part cost sorted easily enough, but then seem to almost forget to factor in the packaging/printing/shipping/distribution/spares stock/storage costs, and most importantly the manpower to do it all, often for years after you've released the product. The profit you make on the car has to pay for EVERYTHING, including your time to send out kits, spares, plan & design upgrades, problem solve, advertise & promote what you are doing, answer hundreds of e-mails & phone calls - sometimes daily - and generally sort sh*t out sometimes for YEARS afterwards.

TTech & TX were perfect examples. Both companies had brilliant designers & engineers in them without a shadow of a doubt, but there wasn't enough dedicated manpower ( and/or money ? ) to sort out the after sales. That gets you the bad reputation, people then get wary so less sales. Less sales means less profit, and it spirals downwards from there.

So Mr MRO Racing, if you read this, please don't even think to release what looks to be a brilliant buggy without ALL your future costs, labour & commitment worked out as far as humanly possible for at least 3 years, to the last penny & minute - no-one here wants you to become TTech/TX Part Trois... if you do, Ron will be on your case in 0.00001 of a second

Oh and if you want to see what happens when people f*ck up a exciting, publicly backed, hugely anticipated product - the Sinclair Vega+ ( no relation to TX Vega's ! ) - just google it. No, ill help you there :

http://retro-computers.co.uk/

Its a long, sad story that one !

Last edited by Dyna; 13-08-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 13-08-2018

Hmmm good info mate 👍👍👍
Old 13-08-2018

I know who you mean and yes a quality driver who has been around the top end of Nationals in the UK for a long time. Will be interesting to see how it goes
Old 13-08-2018

Oh and an ex Predator driver as well so should know a thing or two about them.
Old 13-08-2018

If anyone wants to know more about the following pictures just ask...

The X11 with Mark Headlings old Pred shell on is my main X11 prototype, Northy's is the other one in his old colours. I cant remember where i picked Mark's old shell up from, i just remember i thought it would look good with the prototype parts on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o0ple Mendip.jpg (67.7 KB, 334 views)
File Type: jpg o0ple Mendip 2.jpg (106.1 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Northy and Craig Harris.jpg (90.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg X11 new parts.JPG (861.8 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg Micro Pred.JPG (966.9 KB, 308 views)
Old 13-08-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

mmmm, that's nice!!
Old 13-08-2018

Send a message via MSN to restimax

Wow! Do you used 3d printer?
Old 13-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by restimax View Post
Wow! Do you used 3d printer?
No, not 3D printed... Everyone who’s seen them says that to be fair though...

As I’ve said before, all these parts are cast items from tooling, with a mind for full production if it ever came to it. They are just made in white to make sure they didn’t get confused with production parts. It’s common practice to do that. Took about 2 years prototyping and testing to get the parts right, in both performance and material.

Yes Griff, I’ll drag it out of storage for you to look at if we race together somewhere this year, and I might just let you drive it for the day if I’m in a good mood...

Funnily enough I thought the last picture would create more questions, maybe the size of the scalpel doesn’t give the scale of that totally unique Predator buggy away enough...
Old 13-08-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

that is one massive scalpel
Old 13-08-2018
Mad Member

Love that dyna. Piece of history