Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 18-11-2010

Default Indoor rostrum advice?

Hi

I attend a meeting where we are thinking of replacing standing on school benches with some form of decent rostrum.

Its for indoor and could do with being easy to store (so easy to take to bits) and easy to set up.

Does anyone have any advice?

I was thinking something like this but lower and longer -http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/scaffold-towers/domestic-steel-towers.html

Cheers

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DomTwr2010b.jpg (39.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 18-11-2010

It's a very challenging area this one as unfortunately Health and safety also has a say in what you can and can't do. Anything bought (such as scaffolding) carries a load rating which provides the club with cover should something happen i.e. liability is placed on the shoulder of the supplier providing their load ratings were followed. Anything home made (even wooden boxes) should in theory be load tested if you are providing it for club members to stand on. You could go over the top and completely over engineer the rostrum (or boxes), or if you are able to build a permanent rostrum or stage then follow the European building standards for flooring.

it was the biggest pain in the backside for us when building our track and the need for a portable one makes it even more complex.

The BRCA can also advise on rostrum safety, but your best bet is something like portable scaffolding but you need it on a small scale and with the right load rating, that way the liability does not lie with the club. That's my 2 pence worth.
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

Folding stage units make nice rostrums. Can work out quite expensive, but feel very secure.

The Teesside club invested in some nice compact ones at their old venue, might be worth contacting them for some info. We use them at the Chippenham CWIC series also, although they are much larger.
Old 18-11-2010
Mad Member

With H&S in mind, if the rostrum is over a certain height then it needs a guard rail, think its around the 1m mark
Old 18-11-2010

I was going to suggest stage blocks myself
Old 19-11-2010
oOple Advertiser

We use the exact tower scaffolding you show in that picture for our rostrum at Watford, we only go two pieces high and the pieces can all interlock to form a nice sturdy rostrum with handrail all round, we then use pallets stacked behind as steps. We use scaffold boards as the main base to walk on with sheets of 18mm marine ply cut to size screwed on top to give a nice flat and even surface. The whole rostrum is built in less than 15 minutes and packs down nice and compact for storage too

There is a picture of it from last years regional in this thread here - http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21449
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 19-11-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

PM Mark Williamson, what they use at Hereford is great. I set up the rostrum with Mark 2 weeks back and it took us less than 5 mins, 4 of that was just chatting
Old 19-11-2010

Default thanks

Thanks to all!
Old 04-01-2012

Default our choice of rostrum

hope this helps
we have a hall that dont have stage area or anything like that and we spent months designing things but realised weight was a major problem (not me on my own haha )
so anyway i searched ebay for the word platform and came up with these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Builders-H...item3cc025807e

these are fantastic and light weight and will carry two average size people
and are a perfect height and within guidelines for insurance / health safety

hope this helps
paul mc
Furness Radio Car Club
Old 05-01-2012

This is a pic from Tamworth Radio Racing Auto Club http://www.trrac.co.uk/ . if I remember it is home made from four bits sloted together with a top on.