Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 17-08-2010

Default Sx2 Gearing

Ran my sx2 four or 5 times since new, on inspection i have noticed that it looks like a small stone may have got in and has knackered the teeth slightly on the idler gears, tried to order some but everywere out of stock of the kit ones i think 24/33. what difference would it make if i were to change these round? Would i have to change spur size pinion etc? Will be running a 5.5. Thanks
Old 17-08-2010
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
Ran my sx2 four or 5 times since new, on inspection i have noticed that it looks like a small stone may have got in and has knackered the teeth slightly on the idler gears, tried to order some but everywere out of stock of the kit ones i think 24/33. what difference would it make if i were to change these round? Would i have to change spur size pinion etc? Will be running a 5.5. Thanks
well yes you'll have to change your gearing - check your manual - there are gear charts for all internal ratio combinations. just find the same FDR that you've used before

handlingwise on Cat it shouldn't make huge difference (more on cougar)
Old 17-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
Ive had many a problem with idler gears and the metal gear too.

Ive ran several weeks indoors, idler cover always on. After 2 nights of racing the metal gear had a slight groove in it - the next week the idler itself melted.

Replaced the idler, metal idler gear and also the large spur gear.... 2 nights later the new metal idler had a slight groove in it. I checked the dust cover for debris etc - nothing.

So Im still not sure how this groove gets there - and fingers crossed then next stage is not for the plastic idler to melt again.
Old 17-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

I run a 20T pinion with a 81T spur on my 5.5
Old 18-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I run a 20T pinion with a 81T spur on my 5.5
Is that with the kit gearing aswell? thanks
Old 18-08-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G