Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 20-11-2016

Default Returning to Racing

Hi,

I am looking for some general advice, I am thinking seriously about starting to race after a good 25 year break. Clearly things have moved on dramatically since the early 90's based on all the internet research I have done. I have to admit my head is spinning with it all.

So.......

What I would really like is for someone to make me a list of everything I would need to get back into racing from complete scratch. For example, back in the day I ran three sets of 1700 batteries, what would I need now? What motor would be best, it was a stock 27T I ran as was the rules at the time. How much can expect to pay for it all?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated, thanks.
Old 21-11-2016

Welcome back!

I'm maybe not the best to compile a list, I'm fairly new back too after a similar time away (wife, mortgage, kids!)and still changing over to modern equipment (2.4 radio and metal geared servos etc)

Deciding if you want to go 2wd or 4wd is a start (or both!).

Battery wise, lipos are kings now, no Nicad to be seen, and with 6000+ mah available, you don't need to worry about tuning gear ratios so the battery lasts the race.
Old 21-11-2016

Welcome back to racing, here is a list, apart from the first two they are not in any order:

1/ Find a local club

2/ Visit and find out what cars run there I recommend starting with 2WD

3/ Buy a car one that others run to help with setup and spares, new or second hand.

4/ Lipo Batteries - around 4500mah min 50c recommend 70c+ make does not matter very much. You will probably either need a shorty battery or saddles depending on the car. I recommend shorties as they are more flexible and some cars only fit shorties. You can race a battery and then charge it up between races so you could manage with one but I recommend getting two.

5/ Charger, most are the "four button" type and can be very cheap £30 or so. Initially any will do. You will need a Lipo sack - a bag to charge batteries in at most race meetings.

6/ Speedo and Motor, again make does not matter but ESC should be around 120A and motor depends on the class, track and your ability. Most fast drivers will run a 7.5 or 6.5 in a 2WD now but all you need is 8.5 while getting up to speed, if want to start more gently a 13.5 brushless would be close to your old 27 turn but more torque.

7/ Transmitter and Receiver these are critical IMO as they are your interface with the car and there are three serious popular makes, Futaba, Sanwa and Spectrum. KO Propo is also out there but not as popular and quite expensive. Big choice here is sticks or wheel. You will probably be a sticks person if you are old school but there is a much bigger choice in wheel radios not to mention cheaper ones. All are now 2.4Ghz so no crystals.

8/ Servo, you need a reasonably fast metal geared servo but don't need high torque I would tend to a recognised make here, Corally, Savox, Spectrum or similar. Very cheap servos are slow and can strip their gears and make driving horrible.

In terms of cost, the cheapest way is to watch the for sale section on here and jump on one of the many selling up threads that pop up. You might get the whole setup for a significant saving.

If you buy new you can get cheap electrics from the likes of Hobby King but far better is to support one of the UK RC racing shops all of which have excellent websites, personal support and will give you great advice.
Old 21-11-2016

As I've said, I'm just getting back into it too.

I've done some research and here's me so far, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

I've litterally just upgraded to 2.4 as my 27 packed up, and went for a 'Tamco tac330' which as far as I could tell, is a rebadged,more expensive 'Core cr151'?

Is this set up any good? At £50 ,it seemed to tick the boxes the more expensive ones did, and with a 20 memory, meant I could potentially get 19 more recievers and 'bind' them all,then be able to run all my cars off the one handset.....almost.
I tried a new fangled 2.4 wheel controller thing, crashed alot, flung it in the loft.

Brushless motor wise, am I right in saying it's a ' .5' turn motor to look for , as they are 540 type and the full turns are a kind of a 380 in a 540 can, I almost went for one as they are a bit cheaper.
KV = number of rpm per volt.

ESC wise, you may need a programme card or laptop to programme, they've gone a bit 'fast and furious' these days and even have effectively launch control and ABS! (Although far cry from the MSC 3 steps!)
I went for a castle 'mamba max pro' mainly because it seemed to be capable and scored it cheap off ebay!

A lipo's 'C' rating, is the discharge load rate, so , if the motor will only pull '50c' then anything above that is potentially not needed (although I've gone for a 135c as it was a fiver dearer).
Old 21-11-2016
Mad Member

You'll need to readjust your understanding of speed.

I stopped in about 86 or 87. Started again in 2011 I think.

My super duper rocket ship modified 4wd from 1987 would have been left for dead on the start line by the fairly bog standard ready to run 2wd I bought in 2011.

The cars I run now make that 2wd look extremely pedestrian...... and I'm still not a very quick driver. But I like buying speed. And then breaking it.
Old 21-11-2016

Having raced in the early 90's and coming back into the hobby after 20 years the biggest difference is the batteries. Lipos are amazing!. I used to struggle to get 5 mins out of a 4wd with a decent motor on nicads. Now you could probably double that time if not even more!

See my trader feedback here;

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186538
Old 21-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooders28 View Post
I've litterally just upgraded to 2.4 as my 27 packed up, and went for a 'Tamco tac330' which as far as I could tell, is a rebadged,more expensive 'Core cr151'?

Is this set up any good?
Seems fine but no experience with that make, main things are range, glitching and consistent responses.

Quote:
Brushless motor wise, am I right in saying it's a ' .5' turn motor to look for , as they are 540 type and the full turns are a kind of a 380 in a 540 can, I almost went for one as they are a bit cheaper.
KV = number of rpm per volt.
You can get 540 brushless motors as x.5 and x.0, I ran a 7.0 for ages in my 2WD. Most are x.5 but big thing to look for is sensored or sensorless. Sensored is best as it gives finer control. Confirm KV = rpm per volt but it is only a rough gauge of a motor, torque and feel is harder to measure.

Quote:
ESC wise, you may need a programme card or laptop to programme, they've gone a bit 'fast and furious' these days and even have effectively launch control and ABS! (Although far cry from the MSC 3 steps!)
I went for a castle 'mamba max pro' mainly because it seemed to be capable and scored it cheap off ebay!
Agree a program card is probably needed. Castle are popular in the bashing scene but I have not used one for racing. It is sensored so should be fine.

Quote:
A lipo's 'C' rating, is the discharge load rate, so , if the motor will only pull '50c' then anything above that is potentially not needed (although I've gone for a 135c as it was a fiver dearer).
You are correct the motor determines how much current is drawn, you just need to make sure the ESC and Battery can deliver it. A 4500mah battery rated at 50c can deliver 225 amps but it will probably have a peak rating and a continuous rating, the peak might be double that. Most ESC have continuous and peak ratings as well and will have a max motor capacity either stated as kv or wind number.

Also, note that battery manufacturers are sometimes generous with their power ratings. I have raced 25c batteries that spank another brand 100c on punch.
Old 21-11-2016
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting42 View Post
Welcome back to racing, here is a list, apart from the first two they are not in any order:

1/ Find a local club

2/ Visit and find out what cars run there I recommend starting with 2WD

3/ Buy a car one that others run to help with setup and spares, new or second hand.

4/ Lipo Batteries - around 4500mah min 50c recommend 70c+ make does not matter very much. You will probably either need a shorty battery or saddles depending on the car. I recommend shorties as they are more flexible and some cars only fit shorties. You can race a battery and then charge it up between races so you could manage with one but I recommend getting two.

5/ Charger, most are the "four button" type and can be very cheap £30 or so. Initially any will do. You will need a Lipo sack - a bag to charge batteries in at most race meetings.

6/ Speedo and Motor, again make does not matter but ESC should be around 120A and motor depends on the class, track and your ability. Most fast drivers will run a 7.5 or 6.5 in a 2WD now but all you need is 8.5 while getting up to speed, if want to start more gently a 13.5 brushless would be close to your old 27 turn but more torque.

7/ Transmitter and Receiver these are critical IMO as they are your interface with the car and there are three serious popular makes, Futaba, Sanwa and Spectrum. KO Propo is also out there but not as popular and quite expensive. Big choice here is sticks or wheel. You will probably be a sticks person if you are old school but there is a much bigger choice in wheel radios not to mention cheaper ones. All are now 2.4Ghz so no crystals.

8/ Servo, you need a reasonably fast metal geared servo but don't need high torque I would tend to a recognised make here, Corally, Savox, Spectrum or similar. Very cheap servos are slow and can strip their gears and make driving horrible.

In terms of cost, the cheapest way is to watch the for sale section on here and jump on one of the many selling up threads that pop up. You might get the whole setup for a significant saving.

If you buy new you can get cheap electrics from the likes of Hobby King but far better is to support one of the UK RC racing shops all of which have excellent websites, personal support and will give you great advice.
what a a sensible reply all newbie/returnees to RC should read this and digest before running off to spend heard earned pennies

i especially approve of th second to last quote buying secondhand from local racers .If their local and know you are going to race their old gear they will be less likely to off load poor gear knowing you will hassle them every time it fails !! also if it good gear you become an apprentice and you have a experienced guru to give you advice

regards dave
Old 22-11-2016

Thank you to everyone and the advice you have provided.

I am full of question so here goes:

What would a good radio set be for an initial setup, say £100

Likewise for a motor/ESP, I am thinking 8.5t as advised above.

Lipos I am ok with I think, but what would a good recommended charger be? Is a dual needed if I run with two batteries?

Thanks
Old 22-11-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Thank you to everyone and the advice you have provided.

I am full of question so here goes:

What would a good radio set be for an initial setup, say £100

Likewise for a motor/ESP, I am thinking 8.5t as advised above.

Lipos I am ok with I think, but what would a good recommended charger be? Is a dual needed if I run with two batteries?

Thanks
First question back at you, sticks or wheel? The problem with sticks is there is not much between very cheap and very expensive. Also I am not a stick user so have no experience. You have lots of choice on wheel radios, for your budget I would personally get a Futaba PL3 or Sanwa MX-V or Spectrum DX4C.

If you want a recommendation on ESC/Motor everyone will push they stuff they use. I use Corally Cerix Pro speedos and Corally Dynospeed Mod X 3.0 motors but I am a Team Corally supported driver so I would say that . Seriously, pretty much any major make will do you just fine. Look for dealer support, and what the local racers run to see what is reliable and also what your budget is.

I started with a simple Core UAC 50 charger, mains powered and around £50 or so. There are many chargers that are around the £40 mark that will all do the job just fine, the Corally Race 60 is one . You don't need a dual charger unless there are two of you racing at the same time or running multiple classes. You can charge up two batteries before your race day, run practice , swap batteries and while you run the first heat, recharge the first battery and so on throughout the meeting.
Old 22-11-2016

Thanks again for all your good advice.

I am a stick man, so will probably go for the equivalent of your recommendations in stick form.

Transponders is one other thing, I notice they are used now for lap tracking etc. Do clubs have a specific version or does any one work ok? I assume they all have unique codes?

Do motors/ESC/Lipo's have any correlation with each other, I.e. Will any combination work or do they need to be matched?
Old 22-11-2016
Mad Member

will try to explain lapcounting !!

majority of clubs use AMB systems (now technically called MYLAPS after a rebranding/takeover )

there are various incarnations of the system AMB20 RC2/RC3/RC4

AMB 20 is the earliest system and is little used nowadays and tends to be found in small local clubs and is an "analogue" system and transponder are usually club owned "handouts"
RC2/3/4 is the most common and RC 4 is the latest incarnation

Two manufactures can supply transponders (the actual piece that does the counting)

AMB them selves ALL versions of AMB will work on the latest Rc4 system however the latest transponder affectionately known as "Purcy" is NOT backwards compatible to earlier systems

MRT (a british company ) and highly respected also manufacture transponders ,once again they make two versions

the early version PTX will work on all AMB RC systems except RC4(and AMB20 ) the latest version
MRT now produce PTX NS (new style ) which will work on RC4 (I also think it is backwards compatabile but im not 100% sure )

I have some genuine AMB for BRCA events that use AMB RC4 and MRT PTX transponders for club racing that use earlier versions

bit complicated but I hope I have explained

nearly all /ESC/Motors will interface quite happily (neither can recognize which brand its attached to if its not the same

only thing is type sensored or sensorless, sensoredusually is domain of offroad and on road sensorless tends to be "bashing" territory or 1/8 th scale electric or bigger where finesse and adjustability isnot quite so critical
(no offence intended to bashers or the 1/8 scale boys !!

regards dave
Old 22-11-2016

welcome back to racing!

Any motor/ESC combination will work

For sticks, I'd keep an eye out on here for a Sanwa Gemini X second hand with reciever. Bloody good handset and around/under £100 second hand.

Maybe post in wanted section?

It all seems complicated at first but is SO MUCH easier to maintain now compared to then...electrics are pretty much set and forget while you're learning.

Good luck/enjoy
Old 22-11-2016

Pinion gears, do the motors come with ratio charts to use, in other words how will I know which pinion to use based on the motor/spur gear combo?

Sorry for all the questions, I know they are basic stuff but I just don't want to buy the wrong things!
Old 22-11-2016

Quote:
Pinion gears, do the motors come with ratio charts to use, in other words how will I know which pinion to use based on the motor/spur gear combo?

Sorry for all the questions, I know they are basic stuff but I just don't want to buy the wrong things!
Cant offer anybreal advice but to say well done for asking the questions some others (me included) have not wanted to ask! I have learned quite a bit from this post!
Old 22-11-2016

Quote:

Hi there, with gear ratios I have used the set up sheets on the Schumacher website and for other cars the petit rc website, most cars if you get the instruction manual if you are buying secondhand or on schumachers website you can download the manual for each car they will have a ratio chart in the back for gearing but you would adjust teeth up or down depending on motor, I run a Schumacher K2 and a KF2 and have just followed the set up sheets for the surface I'm racing on and the motor wind. Also ask at the club you are planing to race at if you are buying a popular car at that club as most of the other guys will usually be happy to help out
Schumacher Cat K2
Schumacher KF2
Tamiya DF03 Dark Impact
Tamiya TB04
Vintage Tamiya TL01 Baja Champ
Vintage Tamiya Striker
Old 22-11-2016

Thanks, that makes good sense to me.

Next......

What is a good mid range servo to get, and his do I know if I should use a small one or a normal one? Is it a space thing or a weight thing?

Also ESCs?

I have looked at loads of them at 120A, why does it need to be about that rating, there are dozens around the £65 mark?

If I run a speed passion v3 8.5t, what would a good ESC be with a 4800 2S shorty (90c)?

Lots of questions I know, just not sure which way to go and looking for independent advice rather than calling a shop as they might just try to push me in a preferred direction that suits them.

Thanks again.

Last edited by The Colonel; 22-11-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 23-11-2016

Quote:

Next......

What is a good mid range servo to get, and his do I know if I should use a small one or a normal one? Is it a space thing or a weight thing?

Also ESCs?

I have looked at loads of them at 120A, why does it need to be about that rating, there are dozens around the £65 mark?

If I run a speed passion v3 8.5t, what would a good ESC be with a 4800 2S shorty (90c)?

Lots of questions I know, just not sure which way to go and looking for independent advice rather than calling a shop as they might just try to push me in a preferred direction that suits them.

Thanks again.
The servo size is more to do with the space in the car. Some 2WD are quite tight to fit in everything so a small servo helps. I have used Savox, Spectrum and Corally all with success and no issues in std and low profile sizes.

I have used more Savox than anything else and it is what I started with. They are mid range and they are often on sale here on oOple. Look for a 1258 higher torque or 1257 higher speed. They will both work well and are Titanium geared so very robust. If you need a low profile servo then the 1251 is perfect.

For your ESC 120A gives plenty of capacity for any motor with no risk of drawing too much current. You can run a lower amp ESC if you like, I am only recommending what will work reliably and repeatably and keep up with you as you get faster. If budget is tight then by all means drop the spec. I started with a 60A ESC but soon upgraded as I got better so ended up buying twice.

If you run the SP V3 8.5T motor then any sensored ESC will work. Speed Passion are a popular good value make so why not get one of their ESC as well, see if you can get a bundle deal. The Reventon ESC are good and work well with the R or the S rated to a 7.5T motor. I have not used them but plenty have.
Old 23-11-2016

Quote:

Next......

Also ESCs?

Thanks again.
A servo from the likes of Xpert or Savox won't set you back a lot compared to other brands, low profile or full size is purely a matter of space saving. A conventional 2wd off road car will have more than enough space for a full size servo and they're generally your best bet, less likely to strip gears. Torque is more important than speed, but try and go for something with a response time of 0.1 seconds or less.

The "A" essentially indicates how much motor you can use with the ESC, each speed controller will usually have a turn limit stated somewhere but 120A is perfectly suitable for off road - you won't be going below a 5.5 even in a 4wd. This may come across as a little biased but the RC Concept SC120 is brilliantly priced compared to similar competition level speedos, and really well priced ESC/motor/programming box combo packages are available from LMR. Sky RC Toros are also popular ESC choices, similarly priced to the SC120 with a lot of good reviews.
Old 23-11-2016
Mad Member

I recently started trying to get back into racing after 20 years mainly to let my lads have a blast. If you've got loads of money to waste then go for corally or any of the other named brands electrics wise. Personally these seem a complete waste of money I've bought 2 esc's 2 motors and 6 sets of cells (probably too many) from hobbyking and they've been great for my 2 lads to learn, I stuck a fast motor in one of the cars and it was rapid.

I will be buying a esc shortly and will be getting a hobbyking one again it's a no brianer, let's face it they are probably all made in China anyway
In fact there is a thread in the wanted section about 120amp esc off ebay for £15 think they are hobbywing or something like that clones that you can flash so they are identically to the more expensive ones