Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 10-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidspeed View Post
Nice work Ubi hope your son gets the bug for rc cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy40 View Post
Wow, superb work. Loving it, brings back great memories of my ZX truck

Thanks guys, hopefully the 3D printed parts will not wear out too quickly...
Cheers,
Ubi
Old 14-09-2018

I'm slowly working my way through all the pages of this thread. I see guys have changed to use modern CVD's, but from what I see, still using standard ZXR offset wheels. I'm looking at changing to modern wheels as well.

So far I've got some ZX5 cvds, using 62.5mm bone, with UM510 shafts. With some shims, work out about 5mm wider each side, so good for modern wheels. In the front I have some YZ2DTM axles with 66.5mm bone, as thats what I had spare. They fit perfectly and just need the pin filed down to fit the diff. At the moment, all thats stopping me from completing is the shims. Also, one of the Kyosho CVD's doesn't have the barrel the pin goes through.

Does anyone know if Kyosho do a rebuild kit for the CVD, as all I can find is these parts with an axle, which considering I need a couple of $$ part seems excessive.
Old 15-09-2018
Spends too long on oOple ...

Kyosho sell the bits separately, it's listed here somewhere, but also if you search on Google should be able to find. If your specific and say something like parts for LA245 or similar wording.

Wheels yes I use Ansman mad rat wheels front and rear and are really nice
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 16-09-2018

Quote:
Kyosho sell the bits separately, it's listed here somewhere, but also if you search on Google should be able to find. If your specific and say something like parts for LA245 or similar wording.

Wheels yes I use Ansman mad rat wheels front and rear and are really nice
My modern cars are Yokomo, so running those rims helps when I pull out the vintage cars. My Losi JRX-Pro and RC10 World's now run modern rear wheels. I'm converting my Yokomo Works 93 and now the Lazer to run the modern wheels. Should make it alot cheaper running all the same
Old 16-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
My modern cars are Yokomo, so running those rims helps when I pull out the vintage cars. My Losi JRX-Pro and RC10 World's now run modern rear wheels. I'm converting my Yokomo Works 93 and now the Lazer to run the modern wheels. Should make it alot cheaper running all the same
Not always possible, issue is offset and all cars have different so know the mad rat wheels are and exact offset compared to original for the Lazer
Answer UK team driver
Old 16-09-2018

Quote:
Not always possible, issue is offset and all cars have different so know the mad rat wheels are and exact offset compared to original for the Lazer
Anything is possible, just comes down to how much effort. The RC10 required custom hubs, and axles from another car to get the right width. The JRX-PRO was easy, no custom parts, just some hexs. The Yokomo Works uses ZX6 front axles all round and hexes. The axles I have for the Lazer shift the mounting location for the wheel further out, so with the right width hexes will be the car will maintain the exact same width.
Old 21-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampsa View Post
Here is how I done it, basically just glued carbon angle with PU-based plastic adhesive. Underside has also carbon doubler glued in place.
I think glueing is acceptable way here since part was already broken
Only problem was to find carbon part with tight enough radius, but I was lucky to find some with 1mm radius lying around! Still need to replace those lower bind screws to normal ones, they are bottoming in radius area.
Using those extra holes needs molding, as you said. That makes things more complicated..
Other pic shows my progress with ZX-RR. I have all the parts now, so itīs quite straight-forward to assemble everything.
Modelling motor plate atm, thatīs why itīs missing!
I was looking at reinforcing the bulkhead like Sampsa, but haven't been able to find a piece of carbon fibre like that to do the job. Can anyone suggest anything that could be used, or is this something that Fibrelyte could make? Has anyone else done this differently?
Old 21-09-2018

Quote:
I was looking at reinforcing the bulkhead like Sampsa, but haven't been able to find a piece of carbon fibre like that to do the job. Can anyone suggest anything that could be used, or is this something that Fibrelyte could make? Has anyone else done this differently?
I can probably help you with that brace.
Instead of carbon plate could use 2 triangular fins of black delrin using the 4 screws on the tower that Sampsa used but bolting to the side of the gearbox through what looks like 2 through holes? I circled on the pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lazer repair_1.jpg (200.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 21-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
I can probably help you with that brace.
Instead of carbon plate could use 2 triangular fins of black delrin using the 4 screws on the tower that Sampsa used but bolting to the side of the gearbox through what looks like 2 through holes? I circled on the pic
Sounds like a perfect solution. What do you need to make it from me, and likely to cost?
Old 21-09-2018

Quote:
Sounds like a perfect solution. What do you need to make it from me, and likely to cost?
Hmmmmm I thought I had the rear tower on file but it appears its the one part I dont have! I have the chassis/topdeck, front tower and gearbox brace.

So I would need the rear gearbox and tower, I can draw up the tower then as well in case you need a replacement at some stage

I'd say it would cost around $25-30, they aren't very big bits of delrin, I have black or white delrin in stock.
Old 21-09-2018

Parts will be heading to Damon hopefully today so he can make this part and get the rear tower copied too. Should provide some good strength to the bulkhead.
Old 22-09-2018

Quote:
One alternative could be the 3D printed design from Alcyon. It is quite beefier than the la31 stock part and it is available on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BT...li=marketplace
Ubi
Old 22-09-2018

OK I was confused at the start but your on about the rear. Why exactly are you doing this? I just put a thicker tower on and that's saved my bacon on many occasions, only after I broke mine plus was the same time Jamie Booth did his as well
Answer UK team driver
Old 22-09-2018

If your trying to strengthen the tower bracket it bolts to then an alloy plate designed to go through the above pictured highlighted holes and also connected to the tower four screw holes.
Answer UK team driver
Old 22-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
One alternative could be the 3D printed design from Alcyon. It is quite beefier than the la31 stock part and it is available on Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/BT...li=marketplace
Ubi
Thanks, looks like a good option
Old 22-09-2018

Quote:
If your trying to strengthen the tower bracket it bolts to then an alloy plate designed to go through the above pictured highlighted holes and also connected to the tower four screw holes.
Yea, strength the tower bracket. I guess I'm wanting to bullet proof the car as much as I can. I'm getting it ready for our vintage Nats and spending abit to get it ready, so trying to reduce any chance of a DNF.
Old 22-09-2018

Quote:
Which is pretty much what I'm going to do, but using 2 small delrin plates instead of a folded alloy plate
Old 23-09-2018

Quote:
Yea, strength the tower bracket. I guess I'm wanting to bullet proof the car as much as I can. I'm getting it ready for our vintage Nats and spending abit to get it ready, so trying to reduce any chance of a DNF.
sorry for the high jack, hey Greg where can I get some info on the vintage nats can't see any thing on rcracer and I'm a Facebook hater so no chance there. Got a couple of buggies in the rebuild process at the moment, just waiting on some parts...... aye damo
Old 23-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro RC View Post
sorry for the high jack, hey Greg where can I get some info on the vintage nats can't see any thing on rcracer and I'm a Facebook hater so no chance there. Got a couple of buggies in the rebuild process at the moment, just waiting on some parts...... aye damo
I'm sure I have no idea what you mean............. Maybe wednesday......
Old 23-09-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro RC View Post
Adrian, not many details except here at this stage https://www.rcsignup.com/events/disp...nt.cfm?ID=6604

It will be my first biggish event back racing as I've only done club days so far. Back into the sport for fun and nothing serious.