Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 02-03-2015

Default lazer zx-rr upgrades, info / help

hi all,
im thinking of restoring my lazer zx-rr, and would like to include a few period hop ups in to the build, im after anything people may have that might be of interest, green teamline hubs, roll bars etc. was pointed in this direction by welshy.
Old 02-03-2015
Spends too long on oOple ...

Yup best place is here, I am unable to give anything only due to me still racing my car full time now so need all the spares I have which tbh isnt much.

What I would advise is getting an alloy rear top deck holder to deal with the heat dissapation and alloy pivot blocks, pure ten blue chassis steering parts as used by Jamie Booth when the car was released and when he won the Nats with the RR. I would opt for using Robs tensioner as believe it or not was something Bob Gammon was testing at the 93 worlds on his buggy and is designed slightly differently from mine which I can supply as well. This tensions the rear belt and stops it snapping so basically getting a longer lifespan from it. also would be a good idea to add a tensioner to the front belt as well and have designed this as well so can get a drawing of it for you should you decide on buying one from Fibrelyte (link in my name tag).

Teamline front hubs 5 degree and 7.5 degree are what your after, and unsure who here may have a set. if not the other option is for someone to do a 3D drawing of these so it can be printed, yes its weaker than nylon but the design will still be strong and doubt it will break easily.

The other question is if using the car then do you want to go the whole hog and buy from Alcyon his layshaft which was designed for use of the associated B4 or VTS slipper clutch, as this puts the car in the fast lane and competes easily with the new cars.

All CF parts are easily obtainable through Fibrelyte as they copied most items they have on file from me including a tub chassis should you want that ultimate bling factor.

You can also get MIP type UJs from Kyosho as well but other than that think I have mentioned all.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 02-03-2015

thanks for the info, wouldnt mind seeing some pictures of the belt tentioners so i can construct something similar, as far as the blue steering set and cooling plate, do you know where i may be able to obtain them from?.
im hoping to use the car so the layshaft from alcyon sounds perfect, apologies im a bit out of touch with buggies these days and last used this when i was 12. what does this layshaft / slipper allow?
Old 02-03-2015

Blue steering set I have found one on ebay worldwide but did notice another one appear in the UK so do a search on Kyosho 39655 special unicrank and you will find.

Also plenty of normal motor plates on ebay as well. Nothing for the Teamline blocks at the moment.

Layshaft you will need in my opinion a VTS slipper as I find its quicker than the B4 slipper assembly, but you will need to buy some spur gears from RW Racing and are 100t B4 48dp spur gears to use it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 02-03-2015

cheers, i really appreciate the advice, so i can get the layshaft from alcyon on rc10talk?, where would i look for a vts slipper? sorry to sound so stupid, but i know very little about off road! didnt think i still had the car till my parents cleared out there loft! oh and ill be ordering the steering crank set, good spot!
Old 02-03-2015

Alcyons on here as well. Vts is a slipper clutch assembly made by team associated and if you do a search on that you will find. Also RW Racing do 100t 48dp b4 spur gears, i may buy ten off him later this month so will sell you one if that makes life easier. Where are you based?
Answer UK team driver
Old 03-03-2015

im in norwich, norfolk. in the uk buddy. been looking at the slipper you mentioned, looks fairly straight forward, even to me! ill get in touch with alcyon and get a layshaft ordered, hoping to use it at a few club meets but to attend the a1 revival weekend later in the year with it. do you know how much these layshafts cost?
Old 03-03-2015
SHRCCC Legend

Been running a standard ZXR with 6.5t motor with no issues. Why do you need this? Mines done at least 25 meetings!
Old 03-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Been running a standard ZXR with 6.5t motor with no issues. Why do you need this? Mines done at least 25 meetings!

As I understand, the better slipper also helps a lot to keep good traction on less grippy surfaces, besides it's function of protecting the transmission components.
Old 03-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Out of interest, please can you post or pm me what set up you run, as in camber link positions, shock oils, springs etc and track type. Also any upgrades as it would be interesting to compare with other lazer racers
Old 03-03-2015

yes neil, if you would be willing to post your set up that would be great buddy
Old 03-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman79 View Post
yes neil, if you would be willing to post your set up that would be great buddy
Yep....I'll third that
Old 03-03-2015

Mybe this should be a start to a new sticky thread were people can post detailed vintage racer setups. What car you run, type of track surface and upgraded parts used etc......
Old 04-03-2015

that would be an awesome idea!
Old 04-03-2015

Hi, I'm in Norwich and may have some Lazer ZXR stuff that I may be willing to sell.

pm me if your interested and I will find it up and send some pictures.
Old 04-03-2015
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
Mybe this should be a start to a new sticky thread were people can post detailed vintage racer setups. What car you run, type of track surface and upgraded parts used etc......
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman79 View Post
that would be an awesome idea!
That would be a good idea but we would end up with a page full of diffrent sticky threads. But we may be able to go a little further that just sticky threads I'll have a word with admin and see what we can come up with.
Old 04-03-2015

Justin,

Two options.

1. Do a folder linked the Lazer ZXR thread (if possible) listed as Lazer ZX/ZXR/ZXRR setups. How about vintage set ups.

2.Do one for Vintage Buggy Setups. May be an idea to creare if possible a template for all to click on and use so something like below

Car:
Shocks used:
Springs Front:
Piston Front:
Roll Bar Front:
Wishbone Hole Front:
Shock tower hole used Front:
Tie rod shock tower placement Front:
Front castor block:
Front castor block tie rod spacing
Knuckle arm ball joint spacing

Springs Rear:
Piston Rear:
Roll Bar Rear:
Wishbone Hole Rear:
Shock Tower Hole Used Rear:
Tie Rod Placement Shock Tower Rear:
Rear Hub:
Rear hub tie rod spacing:
Battery placement
Spur gear
Pinion gear
Motor used
Weight used and placement
Bodyshell used
Wing used
Options used
Inserts
Tyres
Track name
Track surface
How did the car perform
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-03-2015

That's a good idea, I didn't know that could be done.

I was just thinking of a thread for all vintage setups kyosho, Schumacher, yokomo etc, if a post was titled the name of car eg kyosho lazer , if a person wanted to look at Lazer setups , can that person then search the thread using a key word kyosho, Lazer or zx/zxr and it will bring up all the Lazer set ups that have been posted with them words?
Old 04-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob m View Post
That's a good idea, I didn't know that could be done.

I was just thinking of a thread for all vintage setups kyosho, Schumacher, yokomo etc, if a post was titled the name of car eg kyosho lazer , if a person wanted to look at Lazer setups , can that person then search the thread using a key word kyosho, Lazer or zx/zxr and it will bring up all the Lazer set ups that have been posted with them words?
Rob,

Yes you have a facility in the thread to search only that thread so if you type Lazer all sections appear and you just select one you want to view
Answer UK team driver
Old 04-03-2015

It would be great if we could somehow have a run of alloy rear bulkheads made
Turbo Optima Mid SE
Turbo Optima Mid SP
Optima Mid Custom Special
Lazer ZX
Lazer ZX-R
Lazer ZX-S