Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Default Facebook?

Hi all
Just me venting frustration regarding clubs using Facebook.

I may sound like im the odd one out but im pretty sure there are many like me. 'I HATE FACEBOOK!!!' and refuse to use it.

Yes Facebook is a great social media platform and has great coverage and massive subscription. I have been through several clubs in the oople section to find simple calender details etc, I found quite a few saying 'this page is no longer used' then a Facebook link below!. I am not a Facebook member so I can't view any of the details.

Unfortunately more and more clubs are restricting themselves to this media and not updating details and events on either Oople or even on thier own club websites. This makes non Facebook users unable to access a great deal of information about events going on.

This I am sure has a detrimental effect to some extent to clubs.

Call me old fashioned and outdated but why can't clubs use the sites accesible for all like Oople and more so thier own club websites instead of restricting to Facebook.

Please feel free to leave your comments, I would like to know if I am in lonely place?

Thanks for reading
Old 04-05-2015

I don't have facebook either
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

So you won't use a website provided by a multi billion dollar corporation, which is based in a country whose government puts many many (many) rules in place about how data is handled and stored. (And you can use Facebook with virtually no personal information, other than your name and ip address (which are easy to fake))

But you do put all your details onto a website run by a bloke in a house near Leeds.

I'd say it's an epic failure to understand how the internet works.
Old 04-05-2015

Default Fb

I would guess that fb is a preferred method to use, it's not limited to a closed network of users ( ie if your on oople your probably a racer anyway ) but fb offers greater visibility for attracting new blood to the sport, friends of friends can see how much fun were having ! 😃 fb has got to be a good thing I think. How about you sign up to fb lock down all the privacy settings and just use it to view the clubs fb pages that your interested in.

http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153192

Feedback ebay:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=szymanski2oo1

Linkedin:
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanszymanski

Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by szymanski2oo1 View Post
I would guess that fb is a preferred method to use, it's not limited to a closed network of users ( ie if your on oople your probably a racer anyway ) but fb offers greater visibility for attracting new blood to the sport, friends of friends can see how much fun were having ! 😃 fb has got to be a good thing I think. How about you sign up to fb lock down all the privacy settings and just use it to view the clubs fb pages that your interested in.

I agree that FB is a great platform but i feel clubs shouldn't lock themsleves to it.
E.G.
If they are updating calenders and venue details on FB then do it on thier own website too, maybe reverse the process. By this I mean that clubs have disabled thier website pages and tell you to look at thier FB page(which restricts visibilty to FB users), why not do everything on your website then provide the link on FB to your website, now this is open for ALL to view.
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post
So you won't use a website provided by a multi billion dollar corporation, which is based in a country whose government puts many many (many) rules in place about how data is handled and stored. (And you can use Facebook with virtually no personal information, other than your name and ip address (which are easy to fake))

But you do put all your details onto a website run by a bloke in a house near Leeds.

I can confidently say I know how the internet works.
My hatred for FB is from seeing what drivel goes through it and what i have seen going on between fellow friends and racers as a direct result.

I have never seen that level of rubbish happen here on Oople, my hat is off to the man near Leeds because I personnaly think he does an AWSOME job of running this website.

Oople
Old 04-05-2015

I'll second that jimmy does an awesome job far better than other sites
Old 04-05-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I agree, I hate face book rest of my family are glued to it poxy thing. I am thinking of joining but turn all privacy settings up so I don't get all those messages etc about people I went to school with 20 years ago,and as has already been said all the crap that starts on there.But can see racing info as thats were it seems to be.
I have just run the 1st of the EOE regionals at my club, ended up having to ask another member for info as to what was going on as it was just about all going on on FB! sadly I have see a lot of activity leave oople in FB's direction:thumb down:

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117

Last edited by racingdwarf; 04-05-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-05-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr View Post

Yep really easy to know how the internet works, nothing is private!

www.norfolkbuggyclub.moonfruit.com

kyosho optima,Bosscat,Boomerang,,RB5 Vega,RB7,,RC12 5.2, TLR22-4,MP9,HB807T
Flask of tea & a rollup
Anglia model centre & CT Models
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28117
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to danDanEFC

We try as a club to use FB, oOple and our own website (still haven't really pushed Twitter).

You can never please everyone but we try.

We have members without email address!!
Old 04-05-2015

Default Fb

I agree that in an ideal world all clubs would have up to date ( modern ) websites designed well for easy access browsing etc along with fb and oople being updated, with a team of admins that can manage it all ... But the reality of the situation( I think) is that not all websites are the same, some websites can't be updated as easily as others, some websites will need an admin with a certain amount of technical knowledge ( that you will be reliant upon to update the site when he / she is not working ), some websites are just too old and need a complete re vamp, but this all costs money and time. When you have a free resource such as fb where info can be updated by almost any club member and viewers can view the info by simply opening their Fb app on their phone at any time quickly and easily it's hard to think of a good reason not to utilise the service. I agree there are always going to be trolls posting un interesting or even offensive stuff on fb, but it takes no more than 2 clicks on the mouse to block that user so you never have to see anything from them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy G View Post
I agree that FB is a great platform but i feel clubs shouldn't lock themsleves to it.
E.G.
If they are updating calenders and venue details on FB then do it on thier own website too, maybe reverse the process. By this I mean that clubs have disabled thier website pages and tell you to look at thier FB page(which restricts visibilty to FB users), why not do everything on your website then provide the link on FB to your website, now this is open for ALL to view.

http://oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153192

Feedback ebay:
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...=szymanski2oo1

Linkedin:
http://uk.linkedin.com/in/jonathanszymanski

Old 04-05-2015

I don't know what the issue is with Facebook??

As long as your uncheck 'following' on each friend/group then you don't get any unwanted stuff.

All my liked pages and groups are down the left hand side and it tells you if there's been any new posts etc...

I find it works just like a forum, you can read all the posts if you want to waste a day or just the ones you're interested in.

Easy eh?
Old 04-05-2015

Like it or not this is a minority hobby - compared to may other therefore the maximum exposure is the only way to go.

Yes Oople is great, no doubt. But When I started up a few years ago, I wouldn't have searched for something called Oople. A couple of years in and I still don't know the relevance of the name bar the iconography of it.

Facebook is word of mouth - the best form of advertising. Yes it's a labour at times as Surrey and Hants has a page and a group to keep updated as well as a forum here but it does attract nw members

Club websites - again useful and searchable, but anotehr thing to keep updated

Twitter - a handy broadcast medium again for word of mouth.

It's a lot of work for a club but if we want to grow we have to put the effort in.
Every Thursday evening from 6:30pm and alternate Sundays.

Check out http://shrccc.co.uk
Follow us on:

Facebook - Surrey and Hants Radio Control Car Club
Twitter - @surreyhantsrc
Old 04-05-2015
SHRCCC Legend

Facebook every time Mr Muggle! Get with the times...

Same arguments when the mobile phone and email were invented...

You can't be ex directory anymore...
Old 04-05-2015
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You don't have to use your real name on facebook.
Just open a new Hotmail account then join under any name you want and use it for race events.
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Quote:
I can confidently say I know how the internet works.
Really?
Quote:
My hatred for FB is from seeing what drivel goes through it and what i have seen going on between fellow friends and racers as a direct result.
I don't get to see any drivel, anyone who drivels gets ignored, or blocked/deleted. It's very easy to deal with.
Quote:
I have never seen that level of rubbish happen here on Oople
I have
Quote:
my hat is off to the man near Leeds because I personnaly think he does an AWSOME job of running this website.
Yeah, it's a good site, but didn't he recently get ripped off and lose a load of images, via the internet. Nasty place.

FWIW my main use of fb is to keep up on news from friends and family back in the UK. But it also gives people access to ready made websites, photos, forums, calendars, event organising software. Pretty much for free. What's not to like?

Unless you let yourself be drawn into the drivel.

Last edited by mattr; 04-05-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2015

The club I attend seems to be run on Facebook tbh. I personally don't like Facebook as I see it as a public argument. I think it's a shame that some people practically live their lives on it but these are the times we live in I suppose.
Old 04-05-2015
Mad Member

Mattr, yes FB is great to keep in touch with people.

I appreciate all your comments and as I said in my first post I may be the odd one out, however the post is here to find peoples views of clubs basing the majority of info on FB rather than their club website or racing forums.

It's not about me using FB,

I would rather log onto Oople and find everything(majority) info related under one roof so to speak
Old 04-05-2015

Surely this post is just an echo of the thing you are damming facebook for?

If you don't write personal thoughts, feelings, events or otherwise...Facebook can be used in an extremely effective way to gain a much wider audience that this hobby could never hope to reach before.

Facebook is free. There are many small clubs out there that simple can't afford to run a domain name of their own, or that know anyone with the skill to make up their own website.

I'm part of the Mendip RC Raceway committee and find that writing up the club results and race day events gets a much greater response and audience than any other platform. When a club creates a page on FB, they can see how many people the post has reached, how many have clicked the post, shared it among fellow racers etc, etc.....

I love oOple and will always hold this site in a very high regard (Thanks Jimmy) but, the difference is this..... One post on here gets viewed, at most a couple hundred times...... One post on Facebook, viewed over a thousand times, in less than an hour. The result of FB for our club has been that we get a much wider audience, a better turn out at club events and ultimately more members. Not only that, but the younger racers have family members that can see their progress and will support them. Giving praise etc.... How many people have family members on oOple, that see their race results? I doubt there would be many.

Rather than damn a free enterprise that gives millions access to a whole host of different events, sports and many other things, why not sign up, set your privacy settings to maximum (as I have) so you don't get any randoms from years ago having a look at your personal info and do your best not to join the Jeremy Kyle show by posting every life event on there. You may find it is more of a help than anything else.

Just my two pence worth

Long live oOple!

CML - Team Associated - Reedy - Savox - Nuclear RC - Schumacher Racing

CML UK Team Driver - Team Associated B6.1 - T6.1 - B64 - B6
A State Of RC podcast presenter
www.astateofrc.com
[url]https://www.facebook.com/groups/483687655122491/[url]

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQ..._as=subscriber
Old 04-05-2015

Yes, keep it to the club web site one place to look